Vintage NASCAR

The King & his court

Ok I know this is a chevie. But please bear with me. This is Pettys shop in Level Cross, NC. soon after the switch to GM. Kyle was running the leftover Dodge Magnums. Then Buddy Arrington bought much of the Dodge stuff from the Petty's. That's Richard in the cowboy hat. His brother Maurice standing beside him. And their cousin Dale Inman sitting on the other side. Maurice was nicknamed "Chief". He was the head engine builder. He wrote a book. I bought it & read it. Dale Inman was the crew chief at the track. Many of the other shop employees went on to become crew chiefs for other teams after the Petty team imploded in the early 80's.

image.jpg

Petty Magnum

Taken at Nasville speedway in Tenn. in 1978. That's Bobby Allison in the Bud Moore owned #15 Ford. Petty in the Dodge Magnum. Coo Coo Marlin (Sterling dad) in the #14 Monte & looks to be Neil Bonnet in the #5 JD Stacy owned Dodge Magnum

image.jpg

Petty Road Runner

This is a 68. In 69 the Pettys had a falling out with Chrysler over the lack of a Plymouth wing car. So they went with Ford & the Talledega Torino

image.jpg

Riverside

The old Riverside road racing course was the 2nd race on the schedule for many years. Here is Petty in his familar blue. STP would come on board soon & CEO/Owner demanded the car to be painted red. The Pettys said no. So they compromised & that's how the cars ended up red on the sides & blue on the top

image.jpg

Richard & Arrington

Petty putting a lap on his friend Martinville, Va very own Buddy Arrington. Both driving 78 Dodge Magnums

image.jpg

James, Dave & AJ

James Hilton in the Malibu #48. Dave Marcus in the Charger #2 & AJ Foyt in the 14 Chevy. Taken at the 74 Daytona

image.jpg

Ontario

Ontario speedway in California. 1971 notice the 70 Super Bee in the very back. This track was laid out similar to Indianapolis

image.jpg

Martinsville

This looks like Martinsville. 1970 5/8 mile track IIRC. Bobby Issacs in the #71 Charger. Bobby Allison in the #22 Charger. Richard Petty #43 Road Runner & Spartinburg, SC's David Pearson in the #21 Mercury Cyclone

image.jpg

Daytona 1976

Petty in the Charger leads Bobby Allisons Mercury Cougar, David Pearsons Ford Elite & Benny Parsons Chevy Malibu on pit road. This was the year Petty & Pearson had the big crash at the finish line

image.jpg

Rockingham

North Carolina Motor Speedway at Rockingham. 1969. Man have I spent a lot of time at this place as well as the drag strip across the street. I used to call it my home away from home. NASCAR should be ashamed of themselves for leaving this iconic track in its rear view mirror. Tradition & history mean nothing when you have greed in your heart!!!!!

image.jpg

Back