.W.S. Wiper Arm Removal on '76 NYB

Thanks for the help gents.. With the NYC weather getting crappy, I may have to wait til spring. I know pics speak volumes, So here's a pic of the link arm with the Retaining Clip / Bushing missing. Like I mentioned before, I want to replace all them while I have the Cowl opened up. because i NEVER want to have to do this AGAIN.. So all your posts / Pics about how the wiper arms come off will be helpful. Have any of you done what I'm about to undertake?
iPhone 10-5-2015 023.jpg

iPhone 10-5-2015 023.jpg

Yes: Takes me 30 minutes with hand tools, I've done it to all of my Formals, now, they all had plastic pivot bushing failure...I guess the plastic is at that age now.

Get the bushings from a Mopar dealer. They are a lot better than the Help or Dorman bushings. I believe I told them that I needed them for a 98 Dodge Van...they are the same as the Formal bushings and the quality is the best. Never have to replace them again....in my lifetime.

Well, now I don't know what to believe. The lines on the floor are either SixSigma, or, they're for your wife. :rolling:

Mr C.. I sent you a PM regarding these little Bastards. When you can please.

Thank you sir.

I'm not Mr C... but I will chime in with a couple generic tips. The wiper arms should jump right off in your hand... if you think you need more force you're doing it wrong. Never, never let go of a wiper arm when its up off the windshield... it has cost many a new windshield when the blade smacks down unexpectedly. Chrysler wiper transmission bushings are famous... but should be real easy to find... I don't know of any crazy obsolete variations... so I hope that goes easy enough. to install the bushings, put them on to the transmission arm first, then they should press onto the "buttons" or "knobs" (couldn't think of a better term at the moment). press them on straight and light pressure with pliers is ok... just don't deform them they are soft. If you're taking it apart to do one...do them all they are a famous failure point... which is good because everything else will hopefully be ok still. Oh, and whenever removing the cowl or anything else your not familiar with... take out the fasteners you can see... then gentility wiggle,wiggle,tug,tug until you find the ones you missed. a little masking tape can protect paint corners... but force kills parts. There might be directions in the FSM, if not a parts book or crash book picture is useful to help you locate fasteners and see what your getting into.

My advice is pretty generic... but hopefully will be of use to someone.

Chrysler wiper transmission bushings are famous... but should be real easy to find... I don't know of any crazy obsolete variations... so I hope that goes easy enough. to install the bus

Except the 1978 unobtanium one year only bushings. Ask any '78 owner...

Except the 1978 unobtanium one year only bushings. Ask any '78 owner...

You always seem to know the flaw in my plans.... thanks, I would have foolishly jumped neck deep... was it all the bushings or just the big hollow one?

The big'un.

If I were to search for a Formal, it would be an early 1976 (no LeanBurn) low optioned Newport Sedan, no vinyl, manual a.c. 440 with cloth seats.
A Gran Fury or a Royal Monaco may do.

I don't think they even built one.

The big'un.

If I were to search for a Formal, it would be an early 1976 (no LeanBurn) low optioned Newport Sedan, no vinyl, manual a.c. 440 with cloth seats.
A Gran Fury or a Royal Monaco may do.

I don't think they even built one.

How bad is the swap...just the bell crank... or do the transmission arms need to go too. I vaguely remember got my *** handed to me once...20ish years ago, but I can't remember any details. probably was just a dumbass parts guy who didn't get everything I needed.

As to the formal... you are wise, but I love what I love... and just want a garage center piece/ weekend cruiser. If they built the perfect car it has since dissolved, been killed or some idiot thinks its worth $20k... I'm not too much a purest to deal with lean burn... do they even still build the computers... remans are typically cleaned junkyard stuff... maybe someone replaces the potentiometer and vacuum element which seemed to be the wear part by my best guess. I always wondered what they ever did to the engineer that decide to mount that lopsided air cleaner with a single stud.

There is a thread here on how to modify the 78 crank with a 74-77 crank so as to use the easily available bushing.
There are others here far wiser than I when it comes to Formals. It just that I usually see the question first, that's all. Nothing more.

Back