Water pump.

carguy300

Reaction score
Im in process of putting 440 back together, can someone tell me specifically which bolts go in the water jackets when reinstalling the waterpump housing or should I silicone all bolts going back to be on the safe side.

IMG_3260.jpeg

The bolts don't go into the water jacket so no sealant is needed.

You can check this easy enough by sticking a small screwdriver in the holes.

Any bolt that goes into a water jacket should use a thread sealant and not silicone. I like the liquid Permatex #3 for this. IMHO, silicone is over-used and often used incorrectly.

I worked on another 300, 69, that Ihad years ago that ended up being junk, but I remember pulling out bolts and got coolant. Maybe exhaust manifold bolts, dont remember. I just want to have to pull this back apart because I missed something! I will pick some thread sealer up and finish up. Going to put ac compressor back on so I dont have to mess with changing pulleys, the system empty so dont whats wrong with yet, bearings in the clutch are good, for now it will be a big idler pulley! Maybe she will be ready to roll by spring!

I worked on another 300, 69, that Ihad years ago that ended up being junk, but I remember pulling out bolts and got coolant. Maybe exhaust manifold bolts, dont remember.
It would be the exhaust manifold bolts that go into the water jackets.

You don't want to put sealant on bolts that go into blind holes.

That makes better since to me, thats kind of what I was thinking. Thank you sir!

I have been working on junk all my life, but have never seen anything like your pic BigJohn.....a drill bit with tap at base....interesting. I replaced my pump recently, and thought that some of the bolts went thru, you can feel some from the large opening. I have had to modify some of my taps to make a bottom tap that I did not have on hand....for the blind hole. And, with the black cloud overhead, my new pump shows rattle and loose bearings.....so I got another of different mfr. I will have to review this when I dig in yet again.

I have been working on junk all my life, but have never seen anything like your pic BigJohn.....a drill bit with tap at base....interesting
If you are talking about the tap on the right, that's a "gun tap" or sometimes called a "spiral point" tap. They are used for machine tapping and are actually pretty common around machine shops as you can use them by hand too.

1703621522597.png

Mostly what you encounter for tapping by hand will be tapered taps and plug taps. For blind holes there are bottoming taps. Plug taps are pretty commonplace as they are a good compromise between a tapered tap and a bottoming tap.

1703621774966.png

Back