Waygun revival

Finished up cleaning the engine bay as much as I could.
I scraped and painted the frame while I was at it.
With no power steering or other accessories,this part of the frame can be seen.
Decided not to do the firewall. Most of it cannot be seen when the motor is in anyways.
I like the old patina original look..
I am doing a revival not a restoration,lol
waygun revival 010.jpg

Cam and crankshaft installed. Checked the deck clearance....Typical 70's where the piston sits waaay down the hole..
thumbnail_20190408_200431_resized.jpg

Well..Summer happens. With a few car shows and road trips under the BoaB's belt,poor Waygun sat dormant for a while.
.....More like in Detention.
Things were going well until the curse of the aftermarket parts hit us really hard.
First off is 2 valves were boxed wrong.and took 3 weeks to locate the proper ones.
Then we found out my harmonic balancer was separated and took another week to find a replacement.
If fits but we had to grind off the bottom of the water pump to stop rubbing against the balancer.
The motor mounts were original and were roached beyond using again.
Dorman listed the spool mounts but the drivers side hole in the spool for the bolt was waaay to big. That's not good.
I found a NOS one but that took another week.
Then the clutch...my super duper Summit $400.00 US Hayes clutch
For some reason the motor refused to mate up with the bell housing.
Motor had to come out.
Clutch friction disc bottomed out on the input shaft and not go in all the way..
WTF? Application numbers are correct but must fit a Phord product...Boxed wrong maybe??
That cost be another 285.00 for a different clutch assembly that fit perfect.

Whats next?

Headers--or lack thereof.
Dropped the front steering linkage and positioned the headers
500.00 Headmans do not fit!! Left side hits the pitman arm!!
Part number is correct not designed to fit a 73 B body with manual steering--different pitman arm.
I already cut the exhaust with the intention of using headers,now we have to repair and weld the exhaust back together and use the original factory exhaust manifolds.
We got so pissed we jammed the hood back on and pushed her under a tree and walked away for a month and a bit.

Waygun fought tooth and nail all the way. But it is not the car's fault--it is the damn aftermarket parts!!
5-10 years ago I never had trouble like we experienced with this project.
I have over a 1,000.00 wasted on parts I cannot use on my car and sad to say stuck with them.
I bought them over the winter so 30 days come and gone. Worse they were "installed" and lastly order from a US supplier making shipping not worth the trouble sending them back.
Anyways,time to keep moving forward to get this sucker running.

Past couple weeks been spending a few evenings dressing the engine for the initial fire and break-in.
Aluminum rad..had to drill core support to mount it.
Mini-starter...modified the terminals to fit the starter.
The electrical,cooling,and fuel system all in place.
Replaced all the rotted rubber parts,hoses,etc.
So today we fired her up!!
IT'S ALIVE!!
cell sept 2019 225.jpg

cell sept 2019 224.jpg

Tomorrow tack the pipes where they were cut,replace the fan clutch, fine tune the carb and timing.
The fan clutch in there now with the aluminum rad is too far away from the rad and is not pulling enough air.
I have another clutch with a longer shaft that will sit closer to the rad.
It did not overheat today but better safe than sorry since Waygun is my hauler and gets driven in heavy traffic.
The maiden voyage will also determine clutch adjustment.

Lookin' good!!:thumbsup:

Do you have a shroud?

The quality of the photo makes it look like the pic was taken back in the 80's..love it!...and I have a square fan exactly the same as the one in the lower left. :)

Lookin' good!!:thumbsup:

Do you have a shroud?

The quality of the photo makes it look like the pic was taken back in the 80's..love it!...and I have a square fan exactly the same as the one in the lower left. :)
Thanks Brian!!
I have a shroud but from a M body so SOL making it fit.
These Chinese aluminum rads work great but also very delicate so "making it fit" is out of the question.

Waygun fought tooth and nail all the way. But it is not the car's fault--it is the damn aftermarket parts!!
5-10 years ago I never had trouble like we experienced with this project.
I have over a 1,000.00 wasted on parts I cannot use on my car and sad to say stuck with them.
I bought them over the winter so 30 days come and gone. Worse they were "installed" and lastly order from a US supplier making shipping not worth the trouble sending them back.
Anyways,time to keep moving forward to get this sucker running.
It just doesn't pay to shop ahead anymore... :BangHead:

It's been a week and a day driving the Waygun.
Had to adjust the clutch now that it is getting seated.
Had to replace a rotten relay for the HID lights.
Now a bushing for the right wiper trans broke. At least I can still see in the rain with the drivers wiper still working.
Lol.
pic from tooting around...
20191005_110008.jpg

Well it was fun driving the Waygun once again but only for a short time. I put her in winter storage right after this pic was taken...

72754865_10156305447401244_7004937186982232064_n.jpg

Its been a while...
No activity on the Waygun until now!

With the carb off Maggie's carb getting a rebuild, time to get the Waygun out.
I had the Thermoquad rebuilt last month.
It was not running 100% due to a dried out leather accelerator pump and dirt in the carb.
Today I jammed the csrb on and drove to my Buddy James place to disl in the 318.
The motor was not happy on the drive and we put in a hotter ECU. Still a flat spot.
Swapped in a recurves distributor.
20 degrees initial and 35 all in at 3 grand. 18 inches of vacuum.
Better but stll flat spot.
It needed more squirt of fuel on part throttle.
That is very important to me since being a standard and no dashpot.
James put in larger squirters from a 340 TQ parts carb.
Accelerator pump adjusted to the max.
Runs 100 % better!!
Now ready for the summer.. .Just need to find time to install the new rear springs thst are sitting in the shed going on two years!!
20200620_180041.jpg
20200620_180013.jpg

Gotta install that underdash kneeknocker AirTemp unit I gave you too!

Sanden comp and new condensor and you're good to go!
More than likely the AirTemp will end up in Maggie's car. She needs her A/C.
The other unit will more than likely go in the Waygun.

Back