Weak seat belt retraction

Jon O.

Reaction score
In my 72 Newport, the seat belts don't want to go all the way back anymore. I thought that I might could take it apart and take a look at it, but I figured I would ask someone who might probably know what they are doing. It's just that the springiness has gone weak from age.

It's probably safer to replace the belts - do you really want to risk your life on repaired seatbelts?

Happy Motoring whatever you decide.

Weak retraction is sometimes caused by belts that are worn and/or frayed at the edges, this makes the belt thicker to where it will not retract properly. If this the case with your belts, you need to replace them.

Sometimes dirt can get into the reel assembly, in that case if you remove the cover and clean it up, it should still work once cleaned. Unless this is a very high mileage vehicle, the springs themselves usually do not wear out.

Dave

Weak retraction is sometimes caused by belts that are worn and/or frayed at the edges, this makes the belt thicker to where it will not retract properly. If this the case with your belts, you need to replace them.

Sometimes dirt can get into the reel assembly, in that case if you remove the cover and clean it up, it should still work once cleaned. Unless this is a very high mileage vehicle, the springs themselves usually do not wear out.

Dave
The seat belts themselves look brand new, it is a low mileage car. Ill look into taking it apart, thanks.

The seat belts themselves look brand new, it is a low mileage car. Ill look into taking it apart, thanks.

Springs wear out all the time, and I suspect they weren't that strong when new. I have the same issue on my Mexican Ramcharger (1999) but my belts are integrated into the seats, so not fun to remove; I'm sure.

Take some pics as you take them apart. Good luck on this project, I think it's a common problem.

One thought might be to see if you can use the retractor mechanism/spring from the rear seat, given that those were likely not used.

Springs wear out all the time, and I suspect they weren't that strong when new. I have the same issue on my Mexican Ramcharger (1999) but my belts are integrated into the seats, so not fun to remove; I'm sure.

Take some pics as you take them apart. Good luck on this project, I think it's a common problem.

One thought might be to see if you can use the retractor mechanism/spring from the rear seat, given that those were likely not used.
I'm pretty handy at tinkering around with things like this. I'm sure I can fix it, I just thought that I'd ask somebody who knew what they were talking about first. Ill be sure and take some pictures to help others out too.

The light oil that is on them new may not be all that light anymore, plus the dust and such clogging it up. If the belts look good I would at least try a clean up. Pull them and clean them up with a bucket full of hot, dish soap water. Once clean some sewing machine oil or marvel mystery oil should be good for another 45 years

Thin-spring-steel-strips-.jpg

The design is one of these on each side. I have experience in saying that these kind of springs don't like to be screwed around with, they either just snap or get ripples in them. I think ill just clean it up and some new oil.

INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO FIX
Difficulty : easy

Things you will need:
13/16 socket
Socket extension
Socket wrench
Something thin to pry with (paint scraper)
Needle nose pliers
Oil

How to do:
First pry off round cap
20180307_165150.jpg
20180307_165143.jpg
next take your socket and undo the bolt holding it on. You need to be tough as nails at this step, but it will come off. Then remove from the car.

Then pry off the two holding pins. I did it underneath with a paint scraper so as not to scratch it up where you can see.
20180307_165201.jpg
20180307_165702.jpg
Now pull out the mechanism, don't worry about the seatbelt, let it stay in the plastic sleeve. Now find where the spring end is. It is pointed out in this
2018-03-07 22.12.50.jpg

Push against the spring with a finger so it doesn't fly out. Then take your needle nose pliers and pull the spring up and work it around once to the same spot. Tightening it one turn. Pull the seatbelt all the way out. Repeat another turn of tightening until the belt won't pull out all the way because the spring is too tight, then undo one turn. Now put some oil on the spring, and both end points. Work the belt a few times to get it moving. Next oil between the plastic and metal pointed out in this picture.
2018-03-07 22.12.14.jpg
Now work the belt a few times. It should be much better. Now put it back together and you are all set!

I made this post based on what worked for me. I posted it so that anyone else with this problem can solve it. If anyone has a question please ask.

Back