Welcome 68NewportDDD to FCBO!

68NewportDDD

Reaction score
#1 - Thanks for creating the site; I am sure that it will be a tremendous resource for me.

I am the PROUD new owner of a 1968 Chrysler Newport (383, originally a 2BBL, 727 torqueFlite automatic). The car is more or less a barn find in that it has LESS THAN 60k original miles and garage kept pretty much it's entire life.

I was rummaging around the pristine trunk and found the factory build sheet, the original receipt of purchase, and the window sticker. How crazy is that??? Ms. Edith Magliotti bought the car in 1968 from Phil Detweiler Plymouth in Masonville, PA when she was 58 years old. SHE paid CASH in 1968.

Looks like the car was sold in 2002 and purchased by a couple (Mark White) who lived in Mechanicsville (or thereabouts) Maryland. The original 2BBL carb & manifold were replaced by an Edelbrock 750 - 4 BBL. (I would KILL to have that original carb & manifold back). The gas tank was also replaced (tells me the car was probably sitting for a while).

The last owner in Sperryville, VA purchased it in 2010 and had it for 10 years but only put 2k miles on it. The registration and VA state inspection both died in 2011. So I am guessing that the car has been sitting (again) for the better part of 10 years.

So now I am the current owner of this fantastic piece of automobile history and I an working on getting it running. The beauty of it is that it appears to be 98 ~ 99% original. It even has the original cigarette lighter. The interior is all there, headliner is not sagging, only a couple of significant dings in the body...

So I am by NO MEANS any type of mechanic, which is why I am here. I have been able to get it to start with priming the carburetor only. It has gotten a major tune up (new plugs, wires, points, condenser, distributor & rotor cap, ignition coil), oil change. I found a brand new fuel pump in the trunk which I used to replace the old fuel pump. I am pretty sure that this is my culprit for lack of fuel delivery - I do not think I installed it correctly based on the few mechanical fuel pump videos I have been able to find on YouTube. So I am going to pull it this morning and re-install it.

I also need to get some hard fuel lines (I believe I need 5/16's) to run from the pump to the filter, and the filter to the carb. I am not a fan of all of these rubber hoses and hose clamps everywhere.

Next will be pulling that Edelbrock BEAST and rebuilding it. Seems that rebuilding it may not be too big of an issue but tuning it may prove to be a bear.

Anyway that is my story and I am sticking to it. I will keep everyone updated.

Welcome, if the car sat for a long time, the pickup sock on the tank sending may be clogged with sludge, in that case you will need to remove the tank and have it cleaned. Common problem on long dormant cars. Your can hook a section of rubber fuel line to the tank sending unit and try to blow air thru it, this will tell you if the pickup sock is plugged. You should also replace the three rubber hoses between the tank and the fuel pump as modern moonshine gasoline degrades these quickly.

Dave

Welcome from the Keystone State. Yes 5/16 is the size for the steel line. The piece of line that goes through the front stub frame has a clamp holding it in place, under the hood close to the fuel pump.

Hi Dave:
Thank you for the suggestions! My Uncle (also David) is a die-hard Mopar guy and has built a few late '60's, early 70's Chargers. We did the 'blow-back' through the fuel line; it worked great.

Looks like the 2nd owners bought the car in 2002. Looks like they added a new fuel tank, new manifold, and a new Edelbrock 750 carburetor. We were struggling with fuel delivery after replacing the lines between the fuel pump and the carburetor. I did some research on YouTube University and found that we installed the fuel pump incorrectly. We had to place the fuel pump lever against the fuel pump rod (we did not even know such a thing existed). One we pulled the fuel pump, got the rod positioned correctly, and reinstalled the pump the car started right up and it runs ok - I believe we still need to tune the carburetor some - possibly rebuild it.

Now on to the brakes - believe it or not we pulled the front wheels and drums and it looks like a recent brake job was performed. Fresh grease, bearings looked good, very clean, minimal brake dust. My guess is that the previous owner had to put new front brakes and tires in order to pass VA safety inspection. That is the good news - the not-so-good news is that we pulled the caps on the wheel cylinders - they look original and a lot of water and rust! As well, the booster is shot and te brake fluid looks like mud.

So I have ordered / am ordering new wheel cylinders, brake lines, hardware kits, and a new master cylinder/brake booster combo. We should have everything replaced by this Saturday and then we can take it for a test drive.

Welcome, if the car sat for a long time, the pickup sock on the tank sending may be clogged with sludge, in that case you will need to remove the tank and have it cleaned. Common problem on long dormant cars. Your can hook a section of rubber fuel line to the tank sending unit and try to blow air thru it, this will tell you if the pickup sock is plugged. You should also replace the three rubber hoses between the tank and the fuel pump as modern moonshine gasoline degrades these quickly.

Dave

Welcome. Nice find — look forward to pics!

Back