Welcome aFatGuyWithGuns to FCBO!

BLUPORT

Carpe Diem Cras
Reaction score
Just an all-around semi-normal guy who makes strange decisions now and then!

I was looking for an introduction forum, and I guess I found it! Anyhow, I'm looking at purchasing a 1968 Newport Custom this weekend, it looks like a pretty solid car so far, and I'm quite excited!
I don't want a Hot-Rod or a racer, just a cool cruiser to sound good, and turn a few heads now and then, along with the comfort of feeling like I'm driving a couch.

Thanks! I'm going this weekend to check out the 68 Newport. From the pictures I've been sent, the trunk and floors look rock solid (minor surface rust in a few places in the trunk.) Outside is clean, paint has a little fade, but no rust.
Is there anything I should keep an eye out for? I'm making a 4 hour trip just to see the car (and potentially buy it) and want to be prepared. Current owner swears I can drive it home, but I'll probably still trailer it. He did mention
It's a 383 2bbl, factory AC car. He says everything works. I'll be taking it home in the $4k-$5k range. Does this sound about right?

Newport.jpg

From what I see and you say, barring big surprises you're gonna steal that for under 5K.

Look at the stub frame under the front seats, that tends to be one of the weaker points.

From what I see and you say, barring big surprises you're gonna steal that for under 5K.

Look at the stub frame under the front seats, that tends to be one of the weaker points.
Really? I figured it was probably on par for an old sled of this size.

So check the subframe under the car, inline with where the front seats are. Got it. Anything else I should look for as a known-issue for these cars? Here's a pic of the rust in the trunk. I guess it is a little worse than just "surface" but doesn't look like irreparable rot. I'm not a body guy though. He said this is the only place with rust that he can find.

NewportTrunk.jpg

Welcome from the Keystone State. Two doors with the vinyl tops had issues around the rear windows, where the trim holds the vinyl top down. Since there is rust in the trunk I would crawl in the trunk and look up at the underside where the bottom of the rear window is for rust trails from water making it's way in.

If you don't find something serious $5k is a wonderful price. I would've have said that years ago, but after buying my non-driving 68 NYer for $1K I've about $5500 into just getting her safe and on the road.

Welcome from the Keystone State. Two doors with the vinyl tops had issues around the rear windows, where the trim holds the vinyl top down. Since there is rust in the trunk I would crawl in the trunk and look up at the underside where the bottom of the rear window is for rust trails from water making it's way in.

If you don't find something serious $5k is a wonderful price. I would've have said that years ago, but after buying my non-driving 68 NYer for $1K I've about $5500 into just getting her safe and on the road.

Thanks for the tip! I'll have to bring a mirror along, or have my wife do the crawling. She's a spry little thing, and I'm just too rusty myself to get in the trunk.

Welcome. What Live4theking said. Also, look around as best as you can for what may (or may not) be under that vinyl roof esp in the a and c pillars near the window trim and around the emblem there. Also check your firewall near the cowl... these are all places these fasttop models went way pear shaped.
Pretty looking ride from the photo though!

Hello from Minnesota. That looks like a beauty, love the colors.

As said about the vinyl top, use your fingers to push on any questionable areas to see if bubbles are present. Good luck!

Welcome. The other place I would tell you to check for rust would be by the fender skirts on the rear wheels. Looks like a nice Newport, nice color.

Here’s what you should look out for, me finding it and swooping in to buy that beauty before you!:thumbsup:

Thanks for all the input! Saturday is when I'm supposed to go get the car, it's a 4 hour drive (one way) so I have a friend who lives only 20 mins from the car going to check it out in the next couple days.

I've seen a picture of the engine bay on this thing, and it looks cluttered with all the factory wires, vacuum lines, etc- If I bring it home, I'd really love to clean the engine bay up. I'm pretty sure the first thing I'll do is start removing, cleaning, and repainting the under-hood components back to their original luster. Not planning to go VatoZone crazy with underhood dress up. Simple, clean, and stock is the goal. (although a 4bbl would likely be in the near future.)
Apparently the Air conditioning even works on this thing.

Back