Welcome Racer-X- to FCBO!

Racer-X-

Reaction score
I'm a long time motor head/car nut. I've done sports car road racing in the 1980s and 1990s, and lots of other performance upgrades/modifications on many platforms. Nowadays, I seem to be getting more involved with resto-mod projects on various platforms, including some antique Mopars from the Early Post-War years.

I'm here on this C Bodies forum in late 2021 looking for some C Body parts to use on a resto-mod project based on a 1947 DeSoto Sedan.

Wow! I was going here to post an intro, and I didn't expect a thread already set up here. What an awesome first impression.

Well, here's a little bit about me. I've worked on cars basically all my adult life. Usually as a hobby, but for a few years as a professional as well, and some other years it wasn't my "day job," but I was being paid for my work and participation.

Much of my experience stems from Road Racing, mostly SCCA, with a few IMSA "privateer" (not factory backed, thin sponsorship) teams as well. So I don't have the typical "professional" (flat rate) mechanic attitude. Always safety and quality at the top of my list. Finishing quickly to get to the next job isn't even on my list at all, although sometimes deadlines to get to the grid do make finishing quickly a priority. I try to avoid those situations, though.

Right now, my interest in C Body Mopars is mostly parts scavenging (sorry, guys), although I will be happy to answer questions and lend some perspective on technical issues as well. I try to give back to these communities when I can.

I'll be posting a WTB over in the marketplace area. I'm really looking for a Mopar 8-3/4" rear axle assembly (complete with brakes) from any Mopar car with a 63.4" rear track, or possibly a 62" rear track. We need this for a 1947 DeSoto resto-mod (LS1 swap, custom interior, etc.) that I'm working on. The original rear alxe wasn't with the car, and it's got a 68" rear axle in it with 5x5-1/2" lug pattern. The 215/75R15 tires are rubbing the outer sidewalls on the fenders, except when it's sitting still or slowly moving around the parking lot. Any bumps or cornering at a speed where the body rolls even a degree or two and the outer sidewalls are rubbing. And the lug pattern should be the same as the front (5x4-1/2"). That will make final wheel selection much easier for us. There's not much available that comes in both 5x4-1/2" and 5x5-1/2" bolt pattern.

The original DeSoto axle was for a 60" track, and the wheels were tucked way back in the fender openings. We're wanting to go with wider tires (hopefully 255/60R15), and we need a wider than "stock" axle. The sweet spot I'm finding after measuring six ways from Sunday is 63" +/- 1".

The car owner also would like to keep it Mopar if at all possible. He's not a stickler on this (the car has an LS1 swap and a 4L60E transmission in it, and those are staying), but if we have two choices, and one is Mopar and one isn't, we'll go with the Mopar choice.

This thing weighs 3900 pounds empty, and has comfortable seating for 6 and a trunk that isn't huge, but can hold 200-300 pounds of luggage. The 60s and 70s C Body cars seem to be in that weight range, so I'm sure these axles will hold up to this car. And for now, we're staying with rear drum brakes (although a rear disc brake upgrade may be in the future for it).

Back