What did you do to your C-body today....

Oh, what a night....

I mean it. Oh, what a night. Now that I've gotten started on putting her back together last night we covered a fair bit of ground in a couple of hours time. I had my boys helping Aaron 12 and Nathanael 10.

I had Aaron remove the heater core valve so that we could get the cable housing mounted properly. Then he reinstalled it. Next the vacuum line from the engine to the push button switch was hard from being 54 years old and heat exposure so I had him splice in a new section to run out to the manifold. Aaron also installed the radio support that goes from the back of the radio down to the metal dash frame.

In the mean time Nathanael and I was fighting to get the blower motor in place and all three holes lined up. Then I reinstalled the heater hoses while the boys were vacuuming the inside out to put the front carpet back down. After they got it in place they vacuumed again. Then they put the kick panels and sill plates in while I was connecting the AC lines. After this we installed the rear seat. I had it out to get upholstery quotes. When I looked at the clock it was 10PM - time to call it a night.

I spent as much of my time keeping them directed and moving forward as I did doing stuff myself. Oh, what a night... it was a good one to have the boys in the garage working with me. Sometimes they desire to make progress a little faster than I am comfortable with an I have to slow them down so that I can think about something before they jump right into it.

Oh, what a night...
That’s awesome John… working with your kids on a hobby they can grow to love… I applaud you sir. Memories are Forever….

changed socks on my 1968 New Yorker in preparations for the big trip to Volo C body car show

DSC06904.JPG

New Yorker 1.jpg

On my to Volo today...yesterday now..
Got gas and Frankie quickly started bucking stalling and backfired. As I coasted along the freeway shoulder he would idle but hit the gas POP!
I managed to get off the highway..then jammed a bottle of seafoam in the tank "thinking" bad gas. Drove around town and ran fine even under a load. Then was thinking in this heat..vapor lock??
Oh well.
Get back on the highway up to 65/70.
He died again!
Got him to run enough to run on the shoulder at 25/30 with flashers on til a rest stop.
So this is what I found..I am a dumbass..

I made the executive decision to replace the coil and ballast resistor since they appear to have had several decades of use.

20220624_160034.jpg

Had mine out for a cruise and went and put some gas in it at 5.frickin49 a gallon. Then took the Charger out to go get some dinner later in the evening.

IMG_54481.jpg

IMG950465.jpg

dont recall chief .. i will try to get the info tho and post it here.
Mighty thanks. Right now I'm looking at topsonline.com but other recommendations will be appreciated.

@thethee These were the only clues I had on the box. If there was material IN the box, my installer doesn't recall any.

The top was purchased by previous owner and was on his list of things to do. I think "Landau Top" is a manufacturer brand name that is sold to/through various upholstery supply distributors.

"White Levant" is obvioiusly color/grain, and "3010/HS-T3967' MAY be the product number that matches a complete "rough cut" top for Newport coupes?

As to the exact vendor, I do not have that information -- again it could be supplied by several intermediaries..

The top was delivered as ONE piece with "seams" (roof, A-piller, below rear glassP preformed so the installer could more easily get the right look (unless ALL new tops come that way now?)

Hope that helps.

UntitledEE2ccc12812A.png
UntitledEE2ccc12812Z.png

Been working on the diff in my '66 300 convertible. Left driver's side wheel bearing was toast. Decided to do both sides and since I was in there, decided to install a 2.94 sure grip I got from @detmatt over two years ago. Here are some pictures:

IMG_20220620_185355026_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220620_150445038.jpg

IMG_20220619_141903842.jpg

IMG_20220521_132516389.jpg

IMG_20220521_125920718.jpg

IMG_20220521_124717431_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220521_124603003_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220521_124504649.jpg

@thethee These were the only clues I had on the box. If there was material IN the box, my installer doesn't recall any.

The top was purchased by previous owner and was on his list of things to do. I think "Landau Top" is a manufacturer brand name that is sold to/through various upholstery supply distributors.

"White Levant" is obvioiusly color/grain, and "3010/HS-T3967' MAY be the product number that matches a complete "rough cut" top for Newport coupes?

As to the exact vendor, I do not have that information -- again it could be supplied by several intermediaries..

The top was delivered as ONE piece with "seams" (roof, A-piller, below rear glassP preformed so the installer could more easily get the right look (unless ALL new tops come that way now?)

Hope that helps.

View attachment 540644View attachment 540643
Excellent! It sure does help, the part number confirms that the vendors I'm looking at supply the same manufacturer as the one of your top.

Are you happy with it? Could you give an indication as to the time between ordering and delivery?

Been working on the diff in my '66 300 convertible. Left driver's side wheel bearing was toast. Decided to do both sides and since I was in there, decided to install a 2.94 sure grip I got from @detmatt over two years ago. Here are some pictures:

View attachment 540645

View attachment 540646

View attachment 540647

View attachment 540648

View attachment 540649

View attachment 540650

View attachment 540651

View attachment 540652
Trying to think of why I sold that one….:BangHead:

Excellent! It sure does help, the part number confirms that the vendors I'm looking at supply the same manufacturer as the one of your top.

Are you happy with it? Could you give an indication as to the time between ordering and delivery?
No info on order-to-delivery time. I have finishing a 1967 Le Mans and needed door panels/seat skins and it was 5 months (vs. 2 months for most things) between order and delivery.

Thats an apparent improvement by 5 months (yes, apparently it was taking 10+ months a year ago on '60-s-'70's GM A-body stuff) for these kinda items -- all blamed BY manufacturers on supply chain and workforce issues due to pandemic effects.

LSS -- IF its made-to-order material (meaning its NOT on the distributor OR the manufacture's shelf ready to ship) I'd plan on it taking longer to get whatever you order ... but its probably getting better on timing.

ON my top .. quality was excellent. grain pattern, thickness .. installer was happy too.

Again, I have seen vinyl roof material ordered by the yard (like seat materials) and then you rely on "craftsmanship" of the installer to make it look "factory" in terms of fit/finish. This top came as ONE piece, so installer's "knife/glue work" a bit easier but still had to be primo to get it look right.

My guy has been at it for 30 years ..20 of those years on my stuff so as usual it turned out really good. Didnt even break any trim clips/attachmentns either.

The good craftsmen for this stuff, like good chromers/platers, are getting scarce so hope you got good folks ready to do the work.

I've been getting the Fury ready for the Atlantic Nationals next week. I recently found and bought 303 protectant. Seems to work great. Easy to use and results look great! Thanks to those who reccommended it!!
Are the front and rear window gaskets molded in one piece or are the corners made separately? I can see a couple of "cracks" near the corners that appear to be a joint opening up. Whatever the cause of the crack, what should I use to seal it.
Cleaning and polishind have never been enjoyable, but is becoming more difficult with each passing year. I may soon have to enlist my grandkids help!
Lindsay

Back