What did you do to your C-body today....

Took the BoaB out for the first time this season to get some cheap fresh premium no ethanol gas.
I sat down just to look at her when I took this pic.
20200425_153020.jpg

I replaced the shift seals in the trans. Turned out there was some bad wear in the shaft where the seal rubs. That would explain why it leaked so badly.

ZQY9Zpw.jpg

I had another valve body so I removed the "rooster comb" from that one. Very minor wear, kind of just discolored more than worn.

cHA6TK6.jpg

Also added the part throttle downshift piece to the valve body.

9c4piId.jpg

I also changed the shifter detent ball to a "bullet". These are kind of cool. The end of the bore where the ball sets gets worn and the shifter doesn't drop into the notches as well as it used to. My car had that problem and I think it's going to cure it. They also give this nifty tool to hold the bullet in place while you assemble it. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0723DMZQ2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

eSVP6aY.jpg

Still a lot of salt left on the road from the last snow this week, so I can't try it out yet.

Yer gonna love the 3-2 part throttle kickdown.
More efficient use of the engines power and helps fuel economy.
No more manually down shifting from drive.

Yer gonna love the 3-2 part throttle kickdown.
More efficient use of the engines power and helps fuel economy.
No more manually down shifting from drive.
Yea, it should be good. I've had it in other cars. I have some hills to climb to drive to my house and it will help.

I'm going to put it in my '65 Barracuda too. That's a little more involved, but that will be fantastic for that car.

We headed on up to the Antelope Valley to see the poppies. Probably best it’s been in the last 50 years. Miles and miles of orange. I replaced the tape player w a kenwood CD player and between that and leaving the lights on at the store last night the battery sure needed a good charging. The ammeter swung like Tarzan on the way up. We took the freeway back and 30 min at 75 did the trick on the way home. They had roadblocks up to keep people away from the Poppy Reserve but we went to another spot so didn’t bother us any. Enjoy the pics - fun day.

AAF2B1E3-EC71-41B5-91D2-23A31BC2B77D.jpeg

9DA44537-66FE-4204-B981-EA2C0171A888.jpeg

65EAFC11-3C5B-4070-8D9E-9D56347FF91A.jpeg

D6CE0124-18D3-4C04-837B-4AD5419D15D4.jpeg

6C20FBC8-7CF6-447C-8E63-E6BC64CA0A37.jpeg

03069BB7-2D89-4871-991C-7A1B2BE5E247.jpeg

93F07C4E-06F1-4E6C-B010-2E616B4B513E.jpeg

5AF5C73A-37A4-4585-9BEF-971788C582C5.jpeg

68F861B4-D7E5-4BBE-9BCB-51353F3418BA.jpeg

11FF81E2-FD36-45B1-A3ED-E1B51CF94A5C.jpeg

Last edited:
I did my first car parade/ drive by for a five year
old kid's birthday yesterday. There is a bunch of these scheduled I noticed in my town. I enjoyed that more than sitting on grass or asphalt in a field of non moving cars.
20200425_154555.jpg

I drove down to west beach and my favorite Vietnamese fish market was open after being closed all winter. These folks have their own shrimp boats, catch their own fish and sell in there own market. They will steam, grille or fry their shrimp to order.... Best fried shrimp I've had, and I've had a lot. I polished off a pound and a half, no effort.

I drove down to west beach and my favorite Vietnamese fish market was open after being closed all winter. These folks have their own shrimp boats, catch their own fish and sell in there own market. They will steam, grille or fry their shrimp to order.... Best fried shrimp I've had, and I've had a lot. I polished off a pound and a half, no effort.
Lucky. I'd weigh 500 pounds if I had that available to me! That car just pops, and those wheel covers really set it off.

Heck ya Will.. I’ll indulge when we come down in July.. I’m also excited bout getting to ride in that gorgeous Polara :rolleyes: juts say’en

I pulled the radiator out over the weekend and took it to a local shop to be recored. It looks like it's the first time the radiator has been out of the car. I heard from the shop today and it's definitely clogged up. That's actually good, since it explains why the old girl has been running a bit hot in warmer weather. While it's out I think I'll tackle the timing chain since it's time.

IMG_0714.jpg

Took the Cicada to the exhaust shop to fix my leaky manifold to pipe gasket. Blew out last year on the CatL Drive, and the quick fix only made it 30 miles. Paul, the owner, ground down the crappy weld that was previously done, hammered the flange a bunch, and slapped two gaskets in to keep it quiet. I asked about any potential issues with the two gaskets, and he didn't seem to think it would be an issue. He will find out if it is.

IMG_20200428_084235.jpg

Then I went for a drive. Felt great to be behind the wheel of an old car again.

Going to work on floors. Found some 16 gauge.

Nut holding passenger lap belt bolt twisted right out, so hopefully, I can get it welded back in. My kid likes riding and needs a seat belt.

image.jpg

I am not a welder but I am plugging away.

59EB526D-66EC-4A42-A777-CF6006847D41.jpeg

image.jpg

Last edited:
Took the Cicada to the exhaust shop to fix my leaky manifold to pipe gasket. Blew out last year on the CatL Drive, and the quick fix only made it 30 miles. Paul, the owner, ground down the crappy weld that was previously done, hammered the flange a bunch, and slapped two gaskets in to keep it quiet. I asked about any potential issues with the two gaskets, and he didn't seem to think it would be an issue. He will find out if it is.

View attachment 372107

Then I went for a drive. Felt great to be behind the wheel of an old car again.

What no under body photos while it was up there?

lil bit of tinkering today. Had an NOS hood ornament that I got from Marty while back, thought I’d put it in for shits a giggles. Will pull it once the car goes in for paint.
602CBBAA-8F68-41A9-AC34-9096F08BFB29.jpeg

Pulled the Water Fall grill off for access, which bring to a question. Should the area on top be Body color or Black as it is now?
84E5D5AA-D925-45A7-9A8D-2F058F911783.jpeg
C72C9432-6079-4C1A-A182-CA41768E2CDF.jpeg

Also! Not pictured, I replaced all the steering linkage components, tie rods- pitman and idler.. Will do ball joints later this week.

IMG_0115 2.JPG
IMG_0129.JPG
IMG_0132.JPG
IMG_0134.JPG
IMG_0119.JPG
IMG_0121.JPG
IMG_0114.JPG
IMG_0112.JPG
IMG_0101.JPG
IMG_0099.JPG
I took her out and dusted her off. Then I popped the caps off and put on a set from a ‘69. The ‘69s are actually from the Newport 4dr ht my Dad bought new, so they’re special. My wife kids me about not letting anything go but somehow even though the car is long gone, I kept the caps all these years. After switching them, I drove her around a bit, but headed home because it’s looking like rain (again). Took some pics before the drops started to fall. I wanted to post on the virtual car show thread, but it rained all day Saturday. Couldn’t do it Sunday because we drove to my daughter’s house in the people’s republic of Illinois to do a drive by happy birthday for my grandson. So I’m posting some pics here.

I replaced the shift seals in the trans. Turned out there was some bad wear in the shaft where the seal rubs. That would explain why it leaked so badly.

View attachment 371462

I had another valve body so I removed the "rooster comb" from that one. Very minor wear, kind of just discolored more than worn.

View attachment 371463

Also added the part throttle downshift piece to the valve body.

View attachment 371464

I also changed the shifter detent ball to a "bullet". These are kind of cool. The end of the bore where the ball sets gets worn and the shifter doesn't drop into the notches as well as it used to. My car had that problem and I think it's going to cure it. They also give this nifty tool to hold the bullet in place while you assemble it. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0723DMZQ2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

View attachment 371465

Still a lot of salt left on the road from the last snow this week, so I can't try it out yet.
Trans Go makes great stuff, I put their TFOD kit in my 46RE and I love how it shifts now.

I did the Sonnax upgraded accumulator and 2nd gear super hold servo.

FB_IMG_1588115140062.jpg
FB_IMG_1588115157251.jpg
FB_IMG_1588115164086.jpg
FB_IMG_1588115181600.jpg

Back