What do you do for a living???

Assistant Vice President of Production for Statistical Sampling. 21 years and I still don't know what that means.

I am a soldier with 21+ years of active duty service. Throughout the entire time I have been a wheeled vehicle mechanic. My dad did paint and collision work for numerous dealerships, a majority of which were at Dodge/Chrysler/Plymouth dealers. His dad was a mechanic who worked for Chevrolet. My uncle was also a mechanic in the military and served over 20+ years.

Grew up with a wrench in hand, my dad owns a auto repair shop, grandpa was hardcore chrysler he retired in 74 from mother mopar, I went in the airforce, was a b-52 crewchief, got out after 4 and now I am a auto mechanic for a small shop been there almost 20 years most days I love it

Cool thread...

I worked for twenty years as a Tool & Diemaker, starting as an apprentice right out of vocational high school. I really enjoyed the challenge and I did a lot of tool design and prototype stuff.

I got laid off in '93 and things weren't doing real well around the area. I wasn't out of work for long though... A friend told me of an opening working in a calibration lab. (C-Body related... I bought my 300 from him years later). It was a temp job though, but I had a bunch of severance pay and this gave me a chance to look around. One thing lead to another and the temp job went permanent and I stuck around. Air Force guys... Think PMEL.

That was going OK, but the place relocated and consolidated with another lab and the job took a bad turn. I got to talking with a couple guys there and the next thing we knew.... We started our own lab.

So... with a lot of hard work, we made a success of the place. We had a good mix. One partner could do management and quality, another cold sell ice to Eskimos and then there was me... I could do all the hands on stuff and take care of the facility. It was good. We eventually took on another partner that was an amazing financial guy and that gave us everything we needed. We've done well, with 20 people working there.

The financial partner... He brought us an opportunity a few years ago. He used to be the shop manager of a small factory. The owner wanted out. The place wasn't doing well and he knew it. He approached my partner about buying the factory and the deal was too sweet to pass up. The next thing I knew, I was a partner in the place.

We make cloisonne car and motorcycle emblems. Ever see the nice enameled badge on the hood of a Dodge Viper? That came out of our place. We make the badges for Harley Davidson (like the new 110th anniversary badge), Ford and Chrysler. The Jeep "Trail Rated" badge is one of ours too. We also do a few other things like chrome gas filler doors for Dodges and Jeeps, and the hub caps on Vipers. We employ about 70 people.

I don't do much there... although my tools now reside in the tool room. My partner has turned the place around and it's paying for itself nicely.

But back to the calibration lab....

I'm looking forward to retirement now... and my partners and I worked out a very fair deal and I've been bought out of the calibration lab. I have to work until the end of 2015 as part of the contract, but after that.. I'm free! I'm still partners in the emblem shop and we might work something out in the next few years... but we'll see.

Whew...

That's a great story B.J. That's the way I saw America as being while growing up. That's an ancient era now but I'm happy to see it still exists in some small way. Congratulations on being part of the American dream.

Posted via Topify on Android

Thanks Stan.

We've worked hard and learned a lot doing it.

I think the American dream is still out there, maybe a little different, but it's still there.

I work for a phone company. Sorry no big restorations job or dealership experiance here. I learned to work on cars enough to get by if i break down because my grandfather knew it was the right thing to teach me...lol. I wish some of you guys lived around me with all the knowledge you have, I would be willing to tackle more if i had somebody with the knowledge to help me when i screwed it up...lol.

AT&T Fleet mechanic, last 14 years, before that worked at Ford dealer for 9 years.

Cool thread...

I myself don't have any experience from the car industry, but interest in mechanical stuff lead me to have M.Sc. in Engineering and currently I work as a corporate ***** in IT department of the largest technical wholesaler in Finland.

Damn. I actually thought I'd find out what you do finally in this thread...

Posted via Topify on Android
Hope I don't disappoint you. I have three degrees (you already know this). Last full time gig was with Lockheed Martin Aerospace pushing stacks of inane paperwork (warning:that's what happens when you degree all up). I worked on the Littoral Combat Ship effort and the Aegis AN/SPY-1 radar maintenance program. I was in management and they made me sign NDA's out my nose for the position. Currently working part time for a boutique capital investment firm as a research associate. I gather technological, demographic, cultural, & anthropometric data. I decypher it, parse it all out, and glean from it recommendations provided to firms clients. I need to be completely immersed in what I'm doing or I can't do it...which is one of the reasons I left LM. Just about everything I have ever done has been dichotomous in nature, which includes my background and interests. I have never followed the traditional career path. It is a blessing and a curse.

Back