What do you guys use on exhaust manifolds?

furyfever

Reaction score
Has anyone ever used high heat paint on exhaust manifolds? I’m getting my 318 back together…last thing to go on are the exhaust manifolds. Wondering if I should wire brush them and put some high heat paint on them. Can reads good to 1200 degrees. ? Anyone ever tried this or is powder coating the only way to go? Thanks Bob

CA5C5E8E-1C33-465D-9581-D70E28D4BEBC.jpeg

D5AEB6F8-BF10-46BB-B4EC-308C8D39AB6A.jpeg

Years ago I was at a car show and the elderly owner showed me his silver appearing exhaust manifolds. He told me the secret is to brush on "anti-seize" after cold application heat them up and park the car for a day or two. I have done this on multiple of my old cars and once in awhile I touch them up.

Seems like Eastwood sells and exhaust manifold coating, which has some specific installation instructions?

Slip plate is all I use on any exhaust or cast iron. Same as DGf

I've used the Calx manifold coating. It's a graphite coating that you brush on.

You do have to touch it up once in a while, but it's easy to apply and the little bottle will probably do a few cars.

Amazon product ASIN B086K6PN8G

I used POR15 high heat manifold gray after a lot of wire wheel work. Seems to be holding up OK.

20200328_173925.jpg

Seems like Eastwood sells and exhaust manifold coating, which has some specific installation instructions?

I have been using the Eastwood manifold paint for over 20 years...stuff really holds up well. Best results is to have your manifolds blasted so the surface is as clean as possible, then wipe with brake clean then apply the coating. They do smoke and have to cure once on the vehicle and it's running, but once set it's a fairly robust coating that holds up well to moisture and regular usage.

If you just wire wheel the manifolds and then wipe clean and then paint, the coating still holds up well....it will start to get rust trough from pits that didnt get cleaned out well, but you can usually sand those down by hand on the car then use a touch up brush and paint on some fresh coating and it looks decent.

I've had good luck in the past with the same paint you show, Rustoleum High Heat on motorcycle headers and it's lasted for years. I avoid getting them wet which probably helps.

I've used the Eastwood high temp silver in a pint can with good long last results. Dab in on so you don't get brush marks. Or use a foam brush, as you're going to throw it away afterwards anyway. I used several coats to hide the weld marks.

I sand blasted my HP logs and used the Eastwood exhaust manifold paint.
Follow the direction to the T and it will last.
Still looking good after 15,000 miles over 4 years driving.

20220327_075830.jpg

I wire brushed both manifolds really good. Cleaned well with isopropyl and sprayed them last night. I wanted to order DGF or Calx but have been so busy lately just bought locally. It’s a ceramic coating good to 2000 deg/f. We’ll see how it works. I was very tempted to use never seize too but used this.

42140307-453C-418C-969B-CFDD24FC4EC8.jpeg

F6700AA1-E0D8-45CE-AACA-E5F7DCF55266.jpeg

Last edited:
The trick with the VHT schtuff is several thin coats. And bake the manifolds in the oven each coat. .
But in the long run it will burn off eventually.
Been there and why I went Eastwood.

The trick with the VHT schtuff is several thin coats. And bake the manifolds in the oven each coat. .
But in the long run it will burn off eventually.
Been there and why I went Eastwood.
Did you use VHT "Flame Proof" or VHT "Engine enamel"? Posts I've read on another forum say the Flame Proof paint will last as long as you follow the directions for curing.

Did you use VHT "Flame Proof" or VHT "Engine enamel"? Posts I've read on another forum say the Flame Proof paint will last as long as you follow the directions for curing.
It's been several years so I cannot remember which one,lol

This will seem way too easy but works great. Clean the loose rust off, don't need to attack it, and spray a coat of PB Blaster graphite dry lubricant on the manifold, hot or cold. Looks as good as the Eastwood and VHT but is much easier. If the rust starts to show through again, just shoot another coat on and it will give a fresh finished look. I did mine in 2017 and just noticed that I should do a touch-up after 5 years.

B3E41C05-23CF-44EE-9522-E69F4CE0C7C2.jpeg

07E1817F-1C30-4C7C-B503-9818A685ABE9.jpeg

Most responses don't address the surface prep. Wire brushing or wire wheel will NOT remove all the rust and ANY paint over ANY rust will not hold long term. If you're going to paint or coat them, they have to be hot-tanked first. And powder coating may not hold up to the heat. Ceramic coating does though.

Back