What is an apostrophe?

One of mine is the very frequent misuse, or misplacement, of the word “only”. It is supposed to immediately preceed the word or phrase to which it refers but is often stuck just about anywhere, which jumbles the meaning. Here is an example:

I only speak English.

What does that say? It says that I can speak English but I cannot read or write it - I only SPEAK English.

What is probably meant is:

I speak only English.

... which indicates that I speak no other languages and says nothing about my ability to read or write it.

One of mine is the very frequent misuse, or misplacement, of the word “only”. It is supposed to immediately preceed the word or phrase to which it refers but is often stuck just about anywhere, which jumbles the meaning. Here is an example:

I only speak English.

What does that say? It says that I can speak English but I cannot read or write it - I only SPEAK English.

What is probably meant is:

I speak only English.

... which indicates that I speak no other languages and says nothing about my ability to read or write it.
Happens often in public prayer as well, that and the word "just." "Oh God, we only want to ask...." But, they often ask for two or three items. Same with the word "just." "Oh God, we just want to ask...." They then make several requests.

A Colleague of mine pointed that out some 30 years ago, and I can't stop hearing them!!!

A Colleague of mine pointed that out some 30 years ago, and I can't stop hearing them!!!

It's like seeing the arrow on the FedEx truck, you can never unsee it!
NlEHJ4QF_400x400.jpg

Look at the whitespace between the "E" and the "x". It forms an arrow facing to the right.
Ah sh**!! Stubs is right, I'm going to see that every time now! It's like looking at the old Montreal Expos logo; all I see is the E, the M, and the B.

Or the Milwaukee Brewers logo - the M and B.

Ah sh**!! Stubs is right, I'm going to see that every time now! It's like looking at the old Montreal Expos logo; all I see is the E, the M, and the B.

Or the Milwaukee Brewers logo - the M and B.
And I did! I went to a postal place to mail my Daughter's Birthday gifts. I saw a FedEx Store - And saw the Arrow! At the Postal Shop they had two FE signs - all I saw was the arrow. Thanks a lot Stubs!!!

I don't understand; is it obscene? Now I'll have to find one and look
Are you that dense that you can't look at the post above and see for yourself that I post the logo? Evidently not by your comment. Are you really that unobservant as to what's going on around you, and what you've read?

Are you that dense that you can't look at the post above and see for yourself that I post the logo? Evidently not by your comment. Are you really that unobservant as to what's going on around you, and what you've read?
Easy Curtis. You're going nuclear again... :poke:

:p

Easy Curtis. You're going nuclear again... :poke:

:p
No, just pointing stuff out to him that he fails to see. It's like, engage your brain before putting mouth in gear. And if you haven't noticed. Plus, I have problems with people from that God forsaken state he lives in!

No, just pointing stuff out to him that he fails to see. It's like, engage your brain before putting mouth in gear. And if you haven't noticed. Plus, I have problems with people from that God forsaken state he lives in!
Then don't respond to me any more *******! No, I didn't see the arrow, then I did and I was trying to have some fun with you, but you're about as joyful as cancer! So, how about from now on you don't respond to anything I write and I'll do the same for you. Deal?

You are a pain in the ***!!

Back