What is an apostrophe?

Your, you're, I'm always a wear of it but it still mucks me up! There's a couple others that screw me up too, and not to. As Mom would always say it like this, dis, dat, dees, dems, and doe's. Yeah, the English language is the hardest to learn to read and write correctly.

Don't think anyone has said these, but here are a few more that bug me:

"Where are you at?" The correct question is, "Where are you?" "At" is not needed.

"Where you at?" Just wrong!!

"Can I get a drink of water?" I don't know, can you? That's a question only you can answer? If you're asking me, you need to alter it.

"The Giants, they lost to the Rockies today." Gag me!!! Every Sports reporter says this!!! "They" is not needed!!! The Giants lost to the Rockies today!! That's it!!

Are there NO editors in print media anymore? Do all the publishing houses rely on spell check these days?
Spell check doesn't know the proper use of "you're" vs your vs yore or punctuation.
Whether reading a major pulp fiction book or the sports section, reading a sentence twice to figure out what the heck they meant drives me nuts.

Are there NO editors in print media anymore? Do all the publishing houses rely on spell check these days?
Spell check doesn't know the proper use of "you're" vs your vs yore or punctuation.
Whether reading a major pulp fiction book or the sports section, reading a sentence twice to figure out what the heck they meant drives me nuts.
The Mopar mags all have errors in them, some worse than others. I always love flipping a page and rereading two paragraphs I just read, and then trying to fill in the blanks as the story continues.

That's my spellcheckers fault as I feel the same as you.
Dear Spellchecker: I'm getting really tired of your shirt! See?
Yeah right. Your spellchecker didn't catch the error because "a wear" are two actual words, but you didn't know that "aware" is one word? You can't pull that shirt on a grammar-nazi thread and expect to not get called out on it. :poke:

I know Car and Driver does, but that's only because I worked there for four years. lol

I see this kind of stuff a lot!
some one <> someone
some thing <> something
any way <> anyway
You get the jist, the list goes on and on.
It tells me jist is wrong, go fig?

Major publications, including daily newspapers have the editing done real-time in India.
That's why even major newspapers, once the bastion of perfect grammar are full of typos now. I just read an article from The Boston Globe. Three Indian misinterpretations.

Grammarly Blog

Screenshot_2018-09-19-13-00-12.jpg

What I have noticed since texting became a way to communicate, the short cut phrases have become main stream and is here to stay. Even school teachers in my district have been known for accepting papers turned in by their students, using text verbiage, and their students will not loose any grade points for poor grammar.
Hell, I don't think cursive writing is taught anymore in my district.
What could be worse?
I can understand most of the abbreviations, misplaced or incorrectly used punctuation marks, misspelled words, etc., as discussed in this thread, but the one that really has me confused is the newer spoken language of Ebonics.
Lets think about that for a minute. This is a language that is relatively new and from what I've observed is commonly used in lower income, African American communities, but how it became a new language or how it initially started and became as common as it is today, is unknown.
I stumbled on a website that lets you translate Ebonics.
For kicks, I entered a simple sentence in the website's translation tool as: My Imperial is a big car.
The Ebonics translation of this simple sentence is: Yo! My Imperahal ahs a bahg rahzza. Sheeeiit.
Would anyone here be able to decipher that phrase?

Using ebonics, please construct a sentence containing the word "hotel."

"Bernard told Tamika to hide his drugs, and the ho tell everybody!"

Leroy is a 16 yo 4th grader. This is his homework assignment where he must use the following word in a sentence.

FORECLOSE----- If I don't pay alomy this month, I'd be havin mo' money foreclose.
RECTUM---I had two Cadillacs, but my ol' lady rectum both.
HOTEL--- I gave my girlfriend crabs, and the hotel everybody.
DISAPPOINTMENT---My parole officer tol' me if I miss disappointment, they gonna throw me back to the big house.
ISREAL----Alonzo tried to sell me a watch. I said, "Man, that watch looks fake". He said, Bullshit, the watch Israel.
CATACOMB---- I saw Don King at the fights the other night, man, someone should get that catacomb.
ACOUSTIC----When I was 11, my uncle bought me acoustic and then he took me to the pool hall.
UNDERMINE-----There's a fine lookin hoe livin in the apartment undermine.
IRAQ----When we got to the pool hall, I tol' my uncle, Iraq, you break.
SELDOM----Darnell gave me 2 tickets to the ballgame, so I seldom.
HONOR--- At our rape trail, the judge axed my buddy who'd be honor first.
HORDE----My sister always got in trouble cause she horde around in school.
ODYSSEY----I tol' my brother, "You odyssey the tit's on that hoe'".
TRIPOLI----My ol' lady wanted a bra for her birfday, but I couldn't find no 44 Tripoli.
FORTIFY---- I axed the hoe' how much. She said fortify honey.
INCOME----I jus' got in bed wif Lola, when income my wife.

Back