What is this???

Julesva5

Reaction score
Hi all - I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what this is in the photo. It looks to me like a fuse of some type. I pulled it out and cleaned it up as all the contacts were rusted. It sits behind the driver's side kick panel, just behind the vent door. Two red wires going into and out of it. Thanks!
Fuse Pic1.JPG
Fuse Pic2.JPG

Judging by the size of the wire, looks to be a circuit breaker, more than a fuse. Possibly for power seats if you have them, or power windows.

Judging by the size of the wire, looks to be a circuit breaker, more than a fuse. Possibly for power seats if you have them, or power windows.
Interesting - yeah I don't have either. It's a Fury III but not too many bells and whistles

If you had a factory service manual you could answer that question. I was thinking the same thing as Mr. Brougham.

Closest FSM I have to that is for my '67 Imperial. Lots of good guys here and good advice. Someone else will be along to help I'm sure.

If you had a factory service manual you could answer that question. I was thinking the same thing as Mr. Brougham.
Thanks - thats exactly what I needed here - the prod to the service manual! I do have one - online - and looked it up. It's exactly as you noted - a circuit breaker for the convertible top. Now if I could just figure out whey my courtesy lights don't come on when I open the doors!

Ah... See how you are?? you never mentioned it was a convertible... AHEM....pictures please or no more help...:poke: just kidding, but you can't keep teasing us like this. We're all about pics!

Yep, the soft top was a key piece of evidence missing from the case. Check the bulbs, trace the wires and start cleaning contacts and posting pics...

it is the overload circuit breaker for the convertible top.
I have one as well in the Polara in the exact same place.

Interesting. I need to see if I have one like that on my '65. This is why I try to at least look at each thread in tech.

FWIW, that circuit breaker is also used for power seats as well.

Hope the input helps.

John

looks the same as the one on my 68 sport suburban wagon for the power door locks. mine must be bad as the wires were disconnected from it, i connected them back up and the locks still don't work. there are no identifying numbers on mine. if yours has any identifying numbers I would appreciate if you could post them . I have been looking for a replacement since I got the car and have had no luck. I found a NOS circuit breaker that is on the passenger side kick panel and put that one on but still dosent work.

looks the same as the one on my 68 sport suburban wagon for the power door locks. mine must be bad as the wires were disconnected from it, i connected them back up and the locks still don't work. there are no identifying numbers on mine. if yours has any identifying numbers I would appreciate if you could post them . I have been looking for a replacement since I got the car and have had no luck. I found a NOS circuit breaker that is on the passenger side kick panel and put that one on but still dosent work.

Looks like a general run of the mill 30amp circuit breaker, I have used them a bunch on wiring system upgrades to help protect things in case they go bad on me. You can get those circuit breakers from 10-40 amps I think, and with mounting holes or not.

38630_500.jpg

just google search "30 amp circuit breaker" and you can find all kinds of units available, with mounting on sides, ends or no mounting at all.

So you could just use your original bracket by drilling out the spot weld, then attach the new generic circuit breaker and you should be back in business for a lot less money then trying to find a NOS one. ;)

Trashingcows thanks for the info. just googled it found a company named Del-City. ordered one and a protective plastic cover total price $ 3.25. a cheap price to see if it works again thanks

Last edited:
You could make a jumper wire with an inline fuse and test it

Thanks all - I'm attaching a few of my car since I was called out for not posting pics! ha ha I did figure out after the hint to hit the service manual that it's for the convertible top. When I unplug it, it doesn't work - when I plug it back in, top works! I took it out and cleaned the rusted contacts. Then I spent about 3 hours with the wiring diagram and happily have tracked down that my non-functioning front dash courtesy light, "cigar lighter" and ignition light are being caused by something in the rear compartment. They all work when I disconnect the rear courtesy lights. On the convertible, interestingly, they have courtesy lights built into the lower side arm rests. I didn't even know they were there! I ran out of weekend time, so will troubleshoot that circuit this weekend. I suspect there's a ground in the trunk courtesy light that's either rusted or not connected. Anyway, thanks for the help here all, and DetMatt for the push to open up the service manual. Once you dig into the lighting/electrical diagram it's really pretty cool how easy it is to trace to the various connectors, etc.

IMG_4334.JPG

IMG_4550.JPG

IMG_4244.JPG

IMG_4555.JPG

IMG_4174.JPG

IMG_4557.JPG

Back