What other brand cars has your car been misstaken for??

I forgot to tell you all about the most ridiculous time my car was mistaken for another brand. My friend and I were stopped at a traffic light and an older guy in a Ford workvan pulled up along side us in the turning lane.

We couldn't understand what he was saying at first because the radio was on and we weren't paying much attention to anything else. The guy asked; "Is that a Montclair or a Monterey?" We couldn't really understand what he was saying so we said; "What?" He repeated the question. I finally got what he was trying to say; he was asking if my car was a MERCURY!? I said; "No, its a Chrysler." At that point he said; "Oh." and made a right turn on red and drove off.

Funny you asked...
I bought a Q45.
This is the truth: The Q was selected because of its inference to the Q-boats of WW II. To get the inference, Google it.

45 because, of course, it was a 4.5L.

'97 was my favorite year for the Q45.

IMG_2155.JPG

<--------- Is that a Dart?
Followed by, what's a Monaco?

I have a 65 Dodge Polara Convertible that has been mistaken for a Ford Galaxy and a Chevy Impala. The 64 Galaxies and Impalas did look similar to the 65 Polaras from the front.

C Bodies have never had the light as much as the B and A bodies. To be fair though, when I had the GTX a lot of people asked about the Impala, Chevelle and Galaxy. When I had my 74 Cuda most people didn't mistake though you would get the odd Camaro guess. My 68 Barracuda was never mistaken as anything else. (Still one of my favorites. I'd buy it back if the guy would either put it back together or come down on his price).

I can sort of see impala from the back of a fury iii. 65 I can sort of see Pontiac from the front. To be honest though, it took a while for me to get a handle on the c bodies as you just didnt see them in my area often. GM has a plant near by so a lot of GM products for the past 50 years. Used to have a Ford plant too so you'd see a lot but not like the GM products.

My 68 Barracuda convertible has been mistaken for both Mustang and Camaro. My 68 Barracuda fastback has been called GTO (I guess its the split grille thing), Corvette, Maverick, and I once heard someone say, "I used to have a Pinto just like that". My 67 Coronet 500 convertible has been mistaken for a Road Runner and for a Galaxie 500 (they saw the "500" and just assumed). My 67 Coronet 500 hardtop has been mistaken for an Impala most often but has also been called a Galaxie and a Polara. My 67 Belvedere wagon has been called a Falcon. As for my 66 Sport Fury hardtop, it gets mistaken for a Thunderbird by people who see it in my driveway from the rear.
No one has ever got my 68 Charger wrong, but I do have to put up with hearing things like, "Hey Cleatus lookit! It one dem Duke boys!".

I could see maverick to a degree but no one ever said that to me. I still miss that car. Maybe one day I'll get it back.

Years ago a good friend and myself used to cruise around in our old mopars....his was a EF8 green 70 chally, mine was a EW1 73 RR. Once day we were parked at the parts store and a guy came inside and asked who owned the green Cougar out in the lot. I have never let my buddy forget that one....if we are at a car show and his attention is diverted I will asked loudly...."Hey who owns that Green Cougar!"....:D

For us Canadian Polara owners it's, WHY DID YO GO AND PUT A FURY DASH INTO YOUR POLARA?????"

When the Intrepid was first introduced, my friend Jim Kenzie who is the auto writer for the Toronto Star included this in his writeup. Intrepids in Canada were branded as a Chrysler. His article said "For the U.S. market, Intrepid is rebadged as a Dodge."

Back