What WCFB carbs will work on my 57 Plymouth Belvedere 301 v8?

Rusty Muffler

Reaction score
According to the manual, the stock carb was a 2530s. Mine is missing and I'd like to be able to use the stock air filter can. What should I be searching for?

Something like this: 1956-1957 Plymouth Carter WCFB Carburetor
1696394451119.png

Wow, thanks but too rich for my blood. $800. since I don't have a core? Are there other model #'s that would work other than the 2530? What do those #'s mean?

All things considered, a later AFB might work better, as it came out after the WCFB (Will Carter Four Barrel) did. Might have to use a later air cleaner, though. The 500cfm model would be more air flow than a WCFB ever had. Then just find a way to hide the wire going to the electric choke.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

I have a 1396 in decent shape if it'll do for ya. It's under for sale/mechanical parts.

KEY thing as to the use of a more modern carburetor . . . does the throttle linkage at the carb "push" or "pull"? If it is "push", using a pre-1965 carburetor would be needed for a bolt-on situation. If such a modern carburetor is desired, then an adapter bracket would need to be configured, I suspect, If the existing carburetor and related transmission linkages are desired to be kept.

Just sometbing I thought about,
CBODY67

All things considered, a later AFB might work better, as it came out after the WCFB (Will Carter Four Barrel) did. Might have to use a later air cleaner, though. The 500cfm model would be more air flow than a WCFB ever had. Then just find a way to hide the wire going to the electric choke.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

I also heard that WCFB stood for "White Cast Four Barrel" for the zinc that was used for the main body casting. Although the zinc casting is sandwiched between a cast iron throttle body and a cast aluminum air horn.

So then, would AFB stand for "Aluminum Four Barrel" ?

Wow, thanks but too rich for my blood. $800. since I don't have a core? Are there other model #'s that would work other than the 2530? What do those #'s mean?

That's just the model number. Each one is different in that it was specifically made for that engine, that car, that year.
Differences include choke setup, jet, needle, and power valve sizes, linkages, and other add-on accessories, such as a dashpot, solenoid, etc...

You might find a core on ebay or other site and rebuild it...but could quickly get back up to $800 depending on what it needs, but with your labor included.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67
Thanks Cbody, I'm stuck on the bombastic original air filter can. I'm really bored with the same old AFB with the chrome air filter can. To me, it means a lot to see the original filter can on the engine and is sort of like seeing and appreciating the dash board gauges. I'm always disliked the restomods that replaced all the dash gauges with modern ones, what's the point in that?

No need to go with a chrome aftermarket air cleaner. Just be looking around for an OEM 4bbl Chrysler air cleaner from the later 1960s or so. Even one of the non-snorkel open elements as some of the '65 Plymouth 4bbls used. Then all you need is the adapter noted. Or a '68 Road Runner air cleaner and no adapter. Swap meet stuff. Does the WCFB use a center stud or does the air cleaner base have a clamp that goes around the carb air horn?

Take care,
CBODY67

Hey Rusty, I have a rebuilt ready to go "Power Pack" 2302S if'n yer interested.

This was the optional carb for the 301/313 in '56 and would work and accommodate your air cleaner.

Includes the glass filter, return spring bracket, thermostatic choke and Dash pot (throttle stop). $300IMG_4071.jpegIMG_4067 copy.jpgIMG_4065 copy.jpg

IMG_4337 copy.jpg

Thanks Abloch, I "may" have located the original carb from the mechanic who rebuilt it (long story) and should know something by next week and if I'd be interested in yours.

Back