What's it worth? 1970 Fury S23

CS23T1

Reaction score
Hi, a friend of mine is looking into possibly selling his Fury. It was his mother's car, she bought it new in 1970 and it has stayed in the family and been stored inside most of its life. It's a 383-4 automatic car, buckets with column shift and buddy seat. It had new paint and a mechanical restoration in '97 and has been driven very little since then. One thing that was missed was rust in the tank, which will be replaced and have new lines before it goes up for sale.

I've tried to help him determine what he should ask for the car once he's ready to sell, but there's so little real world market info on this model. Anyone care to chime in on a ballpark range for this car? Condition wise I would call it a strong #2, some slight wear on the original interior making it not quite nice enough to be considered a #1.

Here it is returning home from the resto. I'll try to get some more pics if anyone is interested in seeing them.

scan0003_zpsfc5e57d0.jpg

I think we'd all love to see more pictures and this group can certainly tell you what your friend should be asking. Looks and sounds like a very nice car

How is your 71 300 doing?

Welcome.... unless I am reading it wrong that photo is 17 years old. Gorgeous car but more photos that are current would be needed.

It's done in one of my favorite colors so my value would be higher than most

Again, Welcome

I won't say what THAT car is worth.
For a 1 family car as beautiful now as that car appeared in '97, with about 1,000 other variables thrown in?
I'd start at $9k and work down.

Posted via Topify on Android

One pic, no amplifying information, car is on a trailer.

One dollar to ten grand. Pick a number.

Do your research, look up comps around the country and compare values. You want us to toss you a number. Not gonna happen.

I despise "what's it worth?" questions. Basically, your answer to ALL "WIW?" questions is "What the buyer and seller agree to!"

I think we'd all love to see more pictures and this group can certainly tell you what your friend should be asking. Looks and sounds like a very nice car

How is your 71 300 doing?

It's under a cover in a large storage building right now, will take some effort to get it outside. He's thinking this spring he will be ready to sell, so hopefully within the next month or so I can get it outside for updated pics and cover all the details.

My 300 is a mothballed project in the corner. I'd love to get it running again, may happen in the next year or so depending on what time I have.

PS - received a pm from a member here and it got deleted by mistake, please resend. (was cleaning up pm box before I've had my coffee)

Thanks. I'd like to see what it looks like for love of the cars and present in/out/under pics are the only way to get a feel for the present condition. Will posted a reliable guide which is based on actual car sales I believe but probably not too many S-23's crossing the block in real nice condition

70 Fury S-23 value Dec 2014.jpg

70 Fury S-23 value Dec 2014.jpg

Thanks. I'd like to see what it looks like for love of the cars and present in/out/under pics are the only way to get a feel for the present condition. Will posted a reliable guide which is based on actual car sales I believe but probably not too many S-23's crossing the block in real nice condition

View attachment 42868

I am sorry but I get mad when I read the bullshit from the "collector car market review guys".
There list with percentages has two major mistakes.
No 440s were installed in the S23, the biggest engine available was the 383-4. Only the big brother, the Sport Fury GT, got the 440 engine (as 4bbl and 6bbl)
No 4-speeds were bulit at all (so there are not 5% of those built with a 4-speed)

Value is hard to find out. haven't seen an S23 on the market in the last couple of years. At least not a a decent one.
There was a ER6 red one in Illinois at Country classics, also a 383-4 car with buckets and console, black V-top and interieur.
Mechanically redone they asked 10k$ for it. Looked solid but front seats was ripped and paint faded.

There was a more or less rough sunfire yellow project in Florida about 1,5 years ago, 383 car, priced at 2.500$. Ran but needed lots of work

I remember a B5 blue one with a white roof and blue interieur, attractive colour combo. Was an SB car but was converted to a built BB. Technically slightly hot rodded. Cosmetically nice (paint etc). Was priced at 12k$

Carsten

I am sorry but I get mad when I read the bullshit from the "collector car market review guys".
There list with percentages has two major mistakes.
No 440s were installed in the S23, the biggest engine available was the 383-4. Only the big brother, the Sport Fury GT, got the 440 engine (as 4bbl and 6bbl)
No 4-speeds were bulit at all (so there are not 5% of those built with a 4-speed)

Value is hard to find out. haven't seen an S23 on the market in the last couple of years. At least not a a decent one.
There was a ER6 red one in Illinois at Country classics, also a 383-4 car with buckets and console, black V-top and interieur.
Mechanically redone they asked 10k$ for it. Looked solid but front seats was ripped and paint faded.

There was a more or less rough sunfire yellow project in Florida about 1,5 years ago, 383 car, priced at 2.500$. Ran but needed lots of work

I remember a B5 blue one with a white roof and blue interieur, attractive colour combo. Was an SB car but was converted to a built BB. Technically slightly hot rodded. Cosmetically nice (paint etc). Was priced at 12k$

Carsten

Well since you quoted me I'l respond

You can take my quote to mean it's not necessarily reliable in small sample sizes and the part about " not too many S-23's crossing the block in real nice condition" as also meaning not many cross the block in any condition. The OP describes it in pretty nice condition. I of course politely asked for more pictures since he's asking for opinions.

Some would also infer that I agree with you and others in this thread that nothing can be determined w/o either laying eyes on or seeing some detailed pictures.

I posted the ******* picture for posterity damn it.

Gee-sh

I have no idea why the tone of this particular thread is off the the damn hook and why everyone is so antagonistic.

Carry on grin.gif

grin.gif

Dave, do you have any pictures of one at Carlisle? I don't remember seeing one in a long time.

Well since you quoted me I'l respond

You can take my quote to mean it's not necessarily reliable in small sample sizes and the part about " not too many S-23's crossing the block in real nice condition" as also meaning not many cross the block in any condition. The OP describes it in pretty nice condition. I of course politely asked for more pictures since he's asking for opinions.

Some would also infer that I agree with you and others in this thread that nothing can be determined w/o either laying eyes on or seeing some detailed pictures.

I posted the ******* picture for posterity damn it.

Gee-sh

I have no idea why the tone of this particular thread is off the the damn hook and why everyone is so antagonistic.

Carry on View attachment 42887

I am sorry.
My rant wasn't against you or what you wrote.
Sorry if it came over like that.

I was just mad about the percentage stuff which was mentioned in the bottom of the picture you posted.
The guys who have put down this info have no clue about the details. If a source doesn't do its homework right i doubt their entire work honestly.

The cars/prices I posted were just the ones I have on file from the last 5 years and wanted to share the info with the other users even though the cars are somewhat hard to compare. But they might give an idear in general. All prices were asking prices.

Carsten

I am sorry.
My rant wasn't against you or what you wrote.
Sorry if it came over like that.

I was just mad about the percentage stuff which was mentioned in the bottom of the picture you posted.
The guys who have put down this info have no clue about the details. If a source doesn't do its homework right i doubt their entire work honestly.

The cars/prices I posted were just the ones I have on file from the last 5 years and wanted to share the info with the other users even though the cars are somewhat hard to compare. But they might give an idear in general. All prices were asking prices.

Carsten

It was just an example of over the top kidding around to make a silly point.

I'm sorry too Carsten :)

How about we all settle down and let the guy post some photo's before we cast judgement either way?

Ummm... The percentage "stuff" is how much to add if the car is equipped with the listed options. Example, if the car is valued at $10000, you would add 5% or $500 to the value.

Now... There were most likely no 4 speed S23's made.... or if it had a 440, it was a GT.... but that is for another discussion.

Ummm... The percentage "stuff" is how much to add if the car is equipped with the listed options. Example, if the car is valued at $10000, you would add 5% or $500 to the value.

Now... There were most likely no 4 speed S23's made.... or if it had a 440, it was a GT.... but that is for another discussion.

I am certain Carsten gets it John..... but there were no S23s built with a 440 as it wasnt an option for it and no 4 speeds available so how can their percentage variation be credible? Point is,....... they cant give a percentage up or down if it isnt available, yet they do

I haven't judged his car at all. No way to do it with one pic.

I located the blue S23 I mentioned a couple of previous posts.
It is located now in Russia. So it is far away for all of us. Some pics can be seen here:
https://www.drive2.ru/r/plymouth/163072/

Carsten

You were actually the opposite of casting judgement Carsten.

I think we're in agreement. Let's see the details

Back