What's the best paint for steel rims?

Here's a non traditional use of the rust killer as a "black oxide" finish.

As some of you may have noticed, air filter lids take a beating from underhood condensation, mouse leftovers, etc, they start to rust in places after the paint gives way in places, from the very same abuse.

With the aforementioned prices of spray paint going to the moon, I decided to cut back on Satin Black paint, and to use the rust treatment itself, not only as a rust remedy for the trouble spots, but as a surface coating, as it stains things black, like fingers and more...

Here's an air cleaner lid after treatment, with rust treatment dappled into a very pleasing wrinkle finish while drying with a brush, foam brushes work well until they disintegrate leaving tiny pieces if foam in the finish, do not let these dry in place, I actually prefer a real natural bristle brush, water cleanup.

From this last summer.

P1090686.JPG

The 318, probably the best engine ever made in the history of engines, unless you wanna talk Hemis.

Last edited:
Brakekleen does the same toxic number if you spray it into a carb with the engine running. What comes out the tail pipe will make your nose hairs get hard real quick, after just ONE semi-whiff.

"I heard the 7P bromide when a bonded apprentice long ago."

My wife says it a lot, and then also says things like "Remember, we're - insert maniacally insane activity here - today", "remember" inferring that we had talked about this before and had somehow agreed but typically having zero recollection...

Don't be so quick to write off a surface layer of rust, especially if it comes at the expense of haphazard use of a grinder, possibly making the wheel out of balance?
I use fine steel wire brushes or brass wire brushes on rust, and nothing heavier. GRINDERS are OUT for this sort of work, unless I can get the aforementioned grade of wire wheels for mine. The heavy wire on my wheels is fine for non-essential areas, but yes, knocking off substantial mass from a wheel invites wobble!

Instead us the rust to your advantage with this stuff, NAPA Rust Treatment. The spray might be handier for trapped areas, but the brush liquid much better.

Miracle stuff. been using it for decades.
Carbon tetrachloride. Quite familiar with it. Yes, heating C-Cl4 produces phosgene. I've known about THAT trick since my EARLY teens.

Phosgene is choking gas. Fatal in heavy concentrations, otherwise, very unpleasant. Since I would never weld a rim, the point here is moot, but I rejoice in knowing this stuff is COTS, and WILL get some! Thanks big BIG!

Carbon Tet gets used in MANY cleaning solutions, and was available pure in our youth. Dry cleaners use it.

Modern brake cleaners use ethyl chloride and such, like C2Cl6, which still shouldn't be boiled and huffed, lest you be snuffed, but isn't quite as pernicious as carbon tet, also known by the IUPAC name as methyl chloride.

I DON'T WELD. It's one of the few shop skills I never copped. I can braze and silver solder, and probably could handle oxy-ethyne welding or thermite welding but I don't handle electric sticks worth a damn, so I leave that **** ALONE.

Brakekleen does the same toxic number if you spray it into a carb with the engine running. What comes out the tail pipe will make your nose hairs get hard real quick, after just ONE semi-whiff.

Read my reply above, and be wary of ANY and ALL carbon halides! Boiling them not only kills folks, but then damages the ozone layer, which sunburns penguins and polar bears. I'm partial to penguins and polar bears.

I like shooting carb cleaner down the carb while it's running, cleans the plugs ;]

Sho' 'Nuff! I use Berryman B12. My fellows often called me "Chemtool" or "Chemist" in my well spent adolescence. I'll share notes on titrating nitric acid with sundry organic solvents another day. If you live, you can then remove tree stumps and obnoxious neighbors with the end products. :D

Yes, great mind think alike, Berryman's.

Just keep up the revs enough and don't shoot too much.

But then there's the other - advanced - method where you drown the engine with it, because you want to free up the guides/rings/etc.

Let it sit a bit.

Restart with foot to floor, expect big cloud of gross or otherwise mosquito killing smoke.

Rinse and repeat as needed.

Old timers liked to spray water down the carb - warning, rabbit hole about cool damp air and volumetric efficiency - as a method of cleaning by way of steam, steam cleaning. Don't go overboard and hydraulic lock your engine, connecting rods are not as strong as you think.

Then there was the rice cleanout method, I think I tried it a few times with food kitchen rice, just to say I'd done it.

Dry rice please, like for weddings.

If you've ever accidentally bitten dry rice, funny how the word dental is in accidental, you know it's hard as a rock, and when sufficiently propelled and whirling through the combustion chamber = bye bye carbon deposits?

You then follow that up with those pink "Magic Overhaul Pellets" and voila, like a new car ;]

Last edited:
I agree completely with all the above safety warnings. Read labels! I worked for years in the laundry/dry cleaning industry. Perchloroethylene or hydrochloroethylene are the names of the dry cleaning fluids we used. Breathing the fumes will get you "high" very quickly and causes neurological damage just as quickly. When heated, the generated phosgene gas is deadly. If you smoke, drawing the fumes through a cigarette is a very efficieny way to poison yourself! Stay safe! Lindsay

I agree completely with all the above safety warnings. Read labels! I worked for years in the laundry/dry cleaning industry. Perchloroethylene or hydrochloroethylene are the names of the dry cleaning fluids we used.

WOW! THOSE 2 closely resemble the stuff in modern parts cleaning fluid bigtime! I suspect the slightly higher molecular weight made these a little safer, being alkenes instead of alkanes. THANKS for this lore man.

Breathing the fumes will get you "high" very quickly and causes neurological damage just as quickly.

I knew a FREON HUFFER when I sojourned on the streets of Tucson from 2005-2012. SERIOUSLY CRAZY, BRAIN DAMAGED GIANT OF A MAN who liked to strip naked in public, lie on public sidewalks. sometimes clad or not, and such. He finally re-committed his self to the keepers. Sad to see how this kind of stuff got abused 50 yrs ago. I PRAY todays youth at least can find less harmful stuff than freons, and other organic halides to huff for a quick, sick buzz.

When heated, the generated phosgene gas is deadly. If you smoke, drawing the fumes through a cigarette is a very efficieny way to poison yourself! Stay safe! Lindsay

The Reichssurgeongeneral has determined that der smoking zigaretten mit das phosgene ist zehr schlecht fur der gesundlichkeit!

Methyl Ethyl Ketone aka MEK?

Naaah! Nasty stuff, 2 B sure, but not in the league with organic halides. MEK is just acetone w an extra methyl group bro. To wit: ethyl = acetyl. Ketones be the partially oxygenated organic compounds. Methyl is just a single carbon, single bonded. Soooo MEK is acetone + a methyl addition. No chlorine, fluorine, iodine or any other Group VII stuff there. Just a potent solvent.

Popular at one time, recreationally. Sniffing glue/solvent would be pretty old hat now on account of more legal weed, etc.

My most favorite old person/neighbor (83 years old) was admittedly admitted to Bellevue "like marriage, a fine institution" while in his teens for sniffing Carbona - immortalized in song by the Ramones - and he's sound as a pound to this day.

Amazing how resilient we are to chemical abuse.

Popular at one time, recreationally. Sniffing glue/solvent would be pretty old hat now on account of more legal weed, etc.

My most favorite old person/neighbor (83 years old) was admittedly admitted to Bellevue "like marriage, a fine institution" while in his teens for sniffing Carbona - immortalized in song by the Ramones - and he's sound as a pound to this day.

Amazing how resilient we are to chemical abuse.

Sure! Primates evolved big brains to survive falling out of trees. Redundant brain matter assured our little 5 fingered and toed, scurrying tree-rat ancestors of retaining good depth perception and muscular coordination even after whacking their noggins hard, nearly suffocating in fires or volcanic eruptions or listening to Pat Boone cover Judas Priest numbers. The leap from this to huffing Testor's cement out of a skool lunch bag, then going into american politics isn't so great as oft claimed.

huffing Testor's cement

I so loved model airplane building when I was little and chemicals were safe, and I dreamed of being an astronaut but now I'm here...

Other boys wanted Cowboy stuff, but I just wanted model airplanes, Mark Twain and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle books.

As a longtime lover/hater of Dio, I always thought this was just priceless, when Pat was "in a metal mood" ;]

I so loved model airplane building when I was little and chemicals were safe, and I dreamed of being an astronaut but now I'm here...

Other boys wanted Cowboy stuff, but I just wanted model airplanes, Mark Twain and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle books.

As a longtime lover/hater of Dio, I always thought this was just priceless, when Pat was "in a metal mood" ;]

OK, Boone can cover The Midget Ozzy wanted to hang. BUT DON'T PLAY IT BACKWARDS! (Note, all 3 of the aforementioned vocalists actually were bible thumpers, under the glam, just like Vince Furnier)

What to make of Vince, he golfs...

Sure had me going way back when, Love it to Death, I probably wore the grooves out of several copies.

Oz's fascination with the baby Jesus is lesser know.

IDK if John Osbourne still observes the faith of his forbears or not, but he told of his Low Church background during a radio interview I recall. This came as no surprise by then, having lived to maturity among rabid calvinists, lutherans, episcopalians and such in the ultra-racist cotton suburb of Ft. Worth my parents stampeded to in 1967. Where poison religion abounds, so does vice, and Burleson, Tx had the THIRD HIGHEST PER CAPITA ILLICIT DRUG CONSUMPTION IN THE STATE OF TEXAS during my "Hi Skool" years. WPOD! though relatively benign substances such as heroin were among the few hard to obtain sorts in that hideous environment. Thumpers prefer psychosis inducing stimulants..... METH!

Back