Whats with the red square?

jake

Reaction score
All ten carrier bolts have the red stamping on them, could someone tell me why?
0309141439-00.jpg0309141442-00.jpg

0309141439-00.jpg

0309141442-00.jpg

Manufacturer's ID mark, that's all.
Auto manufacturers require a Manufacturer's ID mark on every single nut and bolt they use.

auto-part-89-14608-hex-nut-m8.jpg

Look at every nut and bolt you have removed from a car. You can find out who made them from directories printed just with identification marks.

Last edited:
Thanks, I just never seen them painted red before.

Me neither. Maybe it was some kind of QC mark applied when installed. Or the assembly line lady was doing her nails on break and was bored.

I bet that guy on Graveyard Cars even knows who that manufacturer was and what dates they were used. Lol.

Posted via Topify on Android

Last edited:
If the nuts were tight and you had to use a wrench or socket to turn them all of the way off of the threads the dimples are probably because they are self-locking nuts. I don't know if they were used on the carrier or not, but I know they were used on the u-bolts that hold the leaf springs to the rear-end housing. The dimple crushes the nut a little so that the threaded hole is no longer round and the nuts won't back off.

If the nuts were tight and you had to use a wrench or socket to turn them all of the way off of the threads the dimples are probably because they are self-locking nuts.

I forgot all about that from my aircraft days...
I had to learn every fastener FAA approved.

Still, that red, though....

I know.
When torqued to the required spec, it was a Q/A dab...
And probably showing they are NOT to be reused.
Yes. that's it. It's coming back to me.

NO ..... thats exactly right. The nut is drilled and that red is a thread locker. It's not a paint dab.
I want on the scene verification that someone drilled holes in the center of the side crimp of hex nuts , to insert Loctite Red....
Jake???

20iyum1.jpg

Looks like a paint dab...:poke:

Last edited:
I want on the scene verification that someone drilled holes in the center of the side crimp of hex nuts , to insert Loctite Red....
Jake???

20iyum1.jpg

Looks like a paint dab...:poke:

I think what bluefury is talking about is a nylon insert as a means of making the nut self-locking, as opposed to a hole to put Loctite in, but I have never seen a self-locking nut with the nylon insert that went all of the way through the nut, with that said, there are a lot of things that I have never seen. :icon_biggrin: I have no idea why it would be red.

Oops, I went back and reread the thread and that was Bulldog that mentioned the insert.:eek:ops:

Last edited:
Back