What's your experience with Gates pressure hose?

GG-1

Reaction score
Does anyone have any first hand experience using the Gates power steering pressure hose sold by RockAuto? Would love to hear about it before I buy one. Thanks in advance!

Alex

Does anyone have any first hand experience using the Gates power steering pressure hose sold by RockAuto? Would love to hear about it before I buy one. Thanks in advance!

Alex
I sold Gates products in a parts store I ran up till the early 90's. They where excellent. There was no better aftermarket hose. Now have things changed since then......I buy a lot from Rock Auto. So far so good. Two orders just in the last 4 weeks.

I sold Gates products in a parts store I ran up till the early 90's. They where excellent. There was no better aftermarket hose. Now have things changed since then......I buy a lot from Rock Auto. So far so good. Two orders just in the last 4 weeks.
Good to know, thanks. I imagine they were American made back then.. wonder about now. I'm not really questioning RockAuto as much as the part itself.. it is sold at many other places.

I don't know what car you have but here is my experience. I went to replace mine once I got the car as the unit was leaking. New o-rings up top and a new return line and pressure line. Two different manufacturer pressure lines didn't fit. Metal part of the line was incorrect at the pump. So I took my line to a guy not far away to see if he could remake it. He only does fabrication of new lines whatever they are in a car from water, to fluid, to A/C. He did a great job and of course the line approached the pump from the right angle and seated fine. Of course the cost was $67 which is for any basic line.

I don't know what car you have but here is my experience. I went to replace mine once I got the car as the unit was leaking. New o-rings up top and a new return line and pressure line. Two different manufacturer pressure lines didn't fit. Metal part of the line was incorrect at the pump. So I took my line to a guy not far away to see if he could remake it. He only does fabrication of new lines whatever they are in a car from water, to fluid, to A/C. He did a great job and of course the line approached the pump from the right angle and seated fine. Of course the cost was $67 which is for any basic line.
You took it to "a guy"... what guy? LOL.. And what is your car? .. I'm in NYC and it's for my 1967 Plymouth Fury VIP 383HP..

Last edited:
Yeah, I live in Concord, CA. The shop is just 3 miles from me.
Mistake on previous shop which is very close. The shop I used is called Sources Tubes and Hoses which has no dedicated web site. He was word of mouth through Monument Auto which was three blocks up the street from him.

Source Tubes and Hoses - Martinez, CA

Last edited:
Yeah, I live in Concord, CA. The shop is just 3 miles from me.
Mistake on previous shop which is very close. The shop I used is called Sources Tubes and Hoses which has no dedicated web site. He was word of mouth through Monument Auto which was three blocks up the street from him.

Source Tubes and Hoses - Martinez, CA
Ok thank you.
I'm curious, what is your car that the off-the-shelf hose didn't fit?

Alex
Never from Rock Auto but have used Gates among other brands, Gates was always good stuff.

Ok thank you.
I'm curious, what is your car that the off-the-shelf hose didn't fit?

73 Polara.

It has been awhile but I do know one of the metal sections, either the box or the pump, was incorrect.

Went looking through old pictures and it may have been this end. That bend needs to be exact and not just close. Aftermarket isn't always exact. On a 67-68 Mustang/Cougar the return line sometimes has the rubber hose slide over the metal end with a standard fuel line clamp. You know what happens here as the car turns over a period of time? You cut right through the hose where the end of the metal line chews through the rubber hose. It should be a formed fitting always.

rsz_polara_035.jpg

Last edited:
I've used Rock Auto quite a few things. I've always had pretty good luck and the web site is great for getting part numbers and price shopping. Usually their price is in the ballpark, but I still shop around... Because I'm cheap.

I just looked up the hose at Rock Auto... $33 ...Then I checked my usual places and that's a really good price.

I've used Rock Auto quite a few things. I've always had pretty good luck and the web site is great for getting part numbers and price shopping. Usually their price is in the ballpark, but I still shop around... Because I'm cheap.

I just looked up the hose at Rock Auto... $33 ...Then I checked my usual places and that's a really good price.
Thanks John. Good price if it's a good product. I'm not concerned as to who sells it.. I am only concerned with who makes it and how effectively it performs. Have you ever used a gates pressure hose on on your power steering system?

Here is a company still selling a return hose that is guaranteed to fail and I know first hand. Edelmann vs. correct

80113__ra_p.jpg
pshr2.jpg

Here is what Gates shows for my car. Does that end look anything like the one I have which is an exact copy? Second one from another company is even worse and these are under 1973 Dodge Polara.
465-356370.jpg

s-l16m00.jpg

IMG_5218.JPG
IMG_5242.JPG
Here is a company still selling a return hose that is guaranteed to fail and I know first hand. Edelmann vs. correct

View attachment 140337View attachment 140338
That's horrible.. Well, thanks for taking one for the team! I'm looking at tube and hydraulic hose shops in the NYC area right now.. found a couple that look promising. In the meantime I just ordered the Gates replacement #352700
alternate part #15375337

Here's a photo of mine on the car last night right after the spraying mess... and a photo of the Gates unit I just ordered 5 minutes ago. I'll report on how it goes shortly, as I'll be receiving the part by Tuesday and installing Wednesday. It's a bit of a brain twister following the hose bends to see if it will fit.. it seems correct from what I can tell.

The OEM hose from Chrysler, back then, used to all exit the gear and go toward the firewall before gently bending back to the power steering pump, plus a rubber sleeve where it laid near the suspension deflector flap. Plus having the stepped diameter in that bend area, too. What was on our '66 Newport was a little different from what the '67 Newport came with or what my '70 Monaco has on it, so some minor variations in the OEM hose, but the hose will probably fit from '65-'73 or so. Not sure if the pump fitting is the same between the "big" pump and the "Saginaw" pump, though. The only line that will look like or similar to the original will probably be from Chrysler (if available) as the aftermarket vendors have a habit of not always being faithful to the original design. I'd seek out the one with the stepped diameter joint, as that's the way the factory hoses were.

Seems like the Edelman hoses, back then, were "different" in some respects but probably worked fine. Not close enough to the OEMs for me, though. Usually, Gates is a premium brand that works well in other hoses and such, but seek out their "Green Stripe" items, where possible.

CBODY67

Back