Wheel color.

commando1

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Interesting to note the wheel colors on cars as delivered.
Universal black or painted to match...
Seems to be no rhyme nor reason.

2a8kt54.jpg

Was wheel color an option or the wheel of the day on the production line?

I wonder if it had anything to do with the wheel cover? Full wheel covers got black,dog dish got painted?

I wonder if it had anything to do with the wheel cover? Full wheel covers got black,dog dish got painted?

I see that all the whitewall cars have black wheels. Most likely whitewalls would have full covers too. Maybe you are on to something.

My observation here and in the past is that whitewalls where optional were not that often ordered as generally believed, my guess would be about 35 % if you count out the luxury makes.

Last edited:
Interesting to note the wheel colors on cars as delivered.
Universal black or painted to match...
Seems to be no rhyme nor reason.

2a8kt54.jpg

the wheel colour does always depend on the wheels (hubcaps) the car is supposed to get. If it will get full wheelcovers it has black wheels. If it gets only dog dishes the wheels will have the same colour has the body.

Same is valid for the spare wheel. If it is body coloured it was a dog dish car originally, if it is black it had full wheelcovers or other optional wheels.

My observation here and in the past is that whitewalls where optional were not that often ordered as generally believed, my guess would be about 35 % if you count out the luxury makes.

there was a lot of black wall tire cars. But it does also depend on the modelyear a lot.
The low line models had black walls usually (standard) while expensive models got whitelines (redlines)

I believe all of the A12 B Bodies came with dog dishes and black painted wheels.

That was part of the A12 package,a mandatory option. I wonder if you ordered an A12 with Magnum wheels if the factory would build it that way,or would it be a dealer installation?

That was part of the A12 package,a mandatory option. I wonder if you ordered an A12 with Magnum wheels if the factory would build it that way,or would it be a dealer installation?
I was fortunate enough to special order a 1969 A12 Road Runner in March 69. I remember having the wheel discussion with the salesman about wheel options. Part of the A12 package was a hubcap delete. The wheels used on all 69 A12 cars were a special wheel never installed on anything but an A12 equipped car, and no other wheel could be ordered from the factory.
Funny thing..... When my A12 runner arrived at the dealership the prep guys didn't find the hupcaps in the car, (usually stored in the car to be installed by the dealer), and so aquirred a set of Dodge dog dish caps from the parts department and installed them on my car. I may be the only person to take delivery of a new A12 car with hubcaps...!!

I also remember seeing a bulletin somewhere that stated wheels could be painted body color for a $1.00 per wheel fee.

69 Road Runner new-1 (Large).jpg

Last edited:
Interesting thread. I thought the A12 cars didn't get caps standard either and that it got the chrome lugs with painted wheels. You hear a different story from everybody who thinks their car is correct.

Great story,love the photo! Always interesting to hear from someone that has first hand experience. I've never seen an A12 with painted rims,I diden't know that option existed so I just learned something new.

,I diden't know that option existed so I just learned something new.
I'm discovering that anything was optional depending on pull and money. In that case all it took was five bucks. LOL

Now show me the guy with the pull to get that one of none back then. Hemi 4 dr station wagon 4 speed with Imperial interior. LMAO!

Interesting thread. I thought the A12 cars didn't get caps standard either and that it got the chrome lugs with painted wheels. QUOTE
]

Your correct Matt...... The A12 came as a hubcap delete with chrome lugs. The hub caps on my new A12 were put there by mistake by the dealership car prep crew who likely had never heard of a "hubcap delete".

Back