when to use Loctite

spstan

Reaction score
Finishing up my timing chain project and I've got about 20 bolts to re-attach. Probably a trivial question but I wondering if I should use the Loctite blue that prevents vibrational loosening on some or all of the bolts. They probably did not use Loctite at the factory so it probably not necessary. When and on what what bolts do you use Loctite to prevent loosening? Paul

I'd use it on the cam gear bolt and that's it. I've done it with and without... Never had any issues with not using it, but I think the cam gear bolt is a good candidate for Loctite.

I would not use it on anything else.

I fully understand wanting to do things "better than stock", but this can also be overkill. IF an engine is vibrating so bad or has harmonics bad enough to need Loctite on those timing cover bolts, there are other things that will come loose first.

Understand, also, the reason for "torque" on fasteners. That relates to a certain level of friction between the threads of the fastener and the threads of the part being fastened. Which can also relate to "fastener stretch".

You put how many miles on that smooth-running motor and the bolts did not fall out? The factory people might be perceived to be "dummies" or "cheapskates", but they also have capabilities to fully determine if thread lockers are really needed at all.

CBODY67

Back in the sixties, one of the guys on the team Loctited the nut (single nut, '51-'55 style) on the cam on our AA/FD hemi dragster.

getting it back off ruined the cam and we had to get another one;

YMMV

Back in the sixties, one of the guys on the team Loctited the nut (single nut, '51-'55 style) on the cam on our AA/FD hemi dragster.

getting it back off ruined the cam and we had to get another one;

YMMV

If you have a bolt or nut with Loctite on it, the simplest way to remove is just a little heat. I've done it a lot... The one that comes to mind is a prototype piece I built for a former employer. It had about 40 2-56 stainless screws in 6061 aluminum. All were installed with red Loctite. A little heat from a propane torch and they all came out.

There are numerous products under the locktite brand, some are threadlockers, some are adhesives, some are sealants.
Even amongst the threadlocking type, there are several - discussing the capability and after-effects is meaningless without knowing the formula #.

I would not use any when reassembling a timing chain job.
Clean threads, proper lockwasher (if specified by the factory) and proper torque are sufficient.

But I would make sure to get that timing cover sealed really well, at the bottom corners by the oil pan.

.... When and on what what bolts do you use Loctite to prevent loosening? Paul
I use bolt adhesives ONLY on WORN threads in the block which after chasing out debris, I've determined to be missing enough original iron as to warrant a LITTLE extra adhesive. Use new bolts of at least the factory spec, to wit: Grade 5 if called for, or Grade 8. Stay at original factory torques. A dab of BLUE Loctite on the cam bolt might be prudent. Realize, Loctite is swell, but then, it makes REMOVING bolts more difficult too. This CAN worsen matters.

When in doubt, leave it out.

Good wrenching to ya!

Back