Where was this Mopar Brochure/Ad Photo shot?

Easiest way to look at it is to "mind you gaps"

Anytime you have a series of high rises it is easy to line up one alignment and move in/out till the others work, Google Earth works best for this, I fly till I see the all the alignments work then I look for a landing spot, in this case it was actualy a helipad.

I instantly recognized Los Angeles City Hall, smaller building to the rear of the car, my fist assumption was Dodger Stadium before I looked into it and realized the alignments didn't work.
Pegman has a lot more freedom in Google Earth.

Alan
View attachment 328770 View attachment 328771

classic solving MrMoparCHP. I no longer have Google Earth .. its a memory hog and I probably need more capable desktop too. Pegman cant land there anyway .. so yeah ya gotta "fly around" and GE is better than GM for that

Untitled21.jpg

Los Angeles California, Elysian Park Heilpad.

Original Photo with unmistakeable LA landmark buildings we've done here before
20190825_143045 93)-4.jpg

Internet Photo from Elysian Park Helipad with landmark buildings. Low angle on the Porshe keeps Dodger Stadium from showing up in photo.
20190825_143045 (2) - Copy.jpg

Google Map satellite photo of Elysian Park Helipad
unittled 3.jpg

Orange arrow is where Porshe is. Orange box is Dodger stadium parking lot where I thought car was and where I sent my daughter to look. Elysian Park Helipad is on a higher elevation but with a line of sight that also gives the best right X, Y axes that MrMoparCHP found.
unittled 4.jpg

The panorama sight lines from the Helipad .. no other spot works.
20190825_143045 93)-1 - Copy.jpg

Coming up on two years since we did this game.

Thread kinda ran outta gas, couple real good regular players (e.g., polara71 :() have moved on, etc. .. it took some internet "detective" work to solve these .. no way to "cheat". Don't have a map tool either -- it would be real hard.

So, first one with the answer gets a "Dude" (personalized award, highly collectible, :poke: ) and game is over.

OR recall,

If you solved the game, you could tell us all you "got it", but same time shoot me the detailed answers in a PM, the game could run to a natural end.

You still get your highly-coveted "Dude", and worldwide recognition for you exceptional sleuthing, but still let others (on vacation, didn't have time right then, didn't see game til long after you did, etc.) work on it IF they wanted.

OTOH -- if nobody plays, we'll commit this thread to internet posterity for a while longer. :)

Where is this 1961 Oldsmobile?

Three questions to be answered from these three hints.

1. Big city east of the Mississippi, in the USA: Where (city and state)?

2. A place with "masterpieces" is located ight there with the Olds: What location (street names)?.

3. You cannot make this turn in a vehicle today. Why not (exact reason)?

Need to answesr to all three questions to win.

First one to post answer "wins" and gets a "Dude" and then game is over..

Hopefully, first one to PM me with all three answers, while STILL is the "winner", gets a "Dude" later IF they let the game run for everybody else.

Game ends Wednesday night 6/8 one way or another.

UntitledEE2ccc129 - Copy.png

Yep, try it again. It should work with that much space left. If it still doesn't work you may need to ping Joey.

Yep, try it again. It should work with that much space left. If it still doesn't work you may need to ping Joey.
thanks boss .. it worked AFTER I sent one OUT to @MrMoparCHP . seems to be working FROM others trying ME first .. except this onetime with @MrMoparCHP

I did work with Joey about a month ago when my gold membership expired without notice and he got that fixed right away. I did ping @Joeychgo by PM just now to advise there MAY still be a difficulty?

:thumbsup:

Last edited:
This one was way too easy
Your box is full

Alan
back to the game. my inbox seems to be in order.

Yes, we have a quick "winner".

I confirmed by PM his answers for (1) city/state, (2) location in the city, and (3) exactly why this Olds' position cannot be replicated today.

Let's see if we can get a few others in the mix as he's gonna let a it ride for while to see if we can have multiple "winners'

quick point. #282 is goini' kinda slow. we'll still answer it tomorrow night, and I got a couple more ideas before I "retire" from this thread:)

Again, this is a detective game but NOT as hard as it seems.

Example .. how many US cities EAST of the Mississippi? Thousands of cities .. so where to look without taking rest of your natural life? #282 has a clue RIGHT IN the illustration even if you had no idea what city.

Also ... all the US-based OEMs had "Madison Avenue" firms repping them .. you'd kinda have to know that going n, which helps take the city from THOUSANDS to just a handful.

In the case of this Olds in #282 .. it happens to be near one of the most unique buildings in the world.

Related xxample: While the exact spot this '80 New Yorker was parked may NOT (unless you lived there/personaly stood on that spot) be immediately apparent, approximately where it is is pretty clear. Thats the original World Trade Center in the background so you know where you are.

To "solve" the game, you'd then have to sort out which side of this city you're on to pinpoint exactly where the New Yorker was.

1654613391113.png

Last point. The OP puts up a game, they usually know where the car is. OTherwise, they can't give good hints to give people a chance/try to make it challenging but NOT impossible to solve.

We learned from #197 -- None of us ever found whre these '73's were photographed. Heck, I put that thing out for crowd sourcing 5 years ago, on a website that attracts "location detectives", and NOBODY has yet found the location.

1654614836661.png

Take s better example of OP knowing location before starting the game: I was OP on #159 as being FROM Detroit, I knew EXACTLY where the '86 Jeep was, been IN the building its parked by dozens of times,

Shoot, cheeky marketers at Chrysler even parked their jeep catacorner from the venerable GM Building on Grand Blvd in Detroit.

To solve this, a good way to start was google "hotel St. Regis". If Omaha NE came up, probably not. If Detroit came up? May be a good place to look for a location where a Detroit-based OEM would photograph their product.

1654614199019.png

Where is this 1961 Oldsmobile?

Three questions to be answered from these three hints.

1. Big city east of the Mississippi, in the USA: Where (city and state)?

2. A place with "masterpieces" is located ight there with the Olds: What location (street names)?.

3. You cannot make this turn in a vehicle today. Why not (exact reason)?

Need to answesr to all three questions to win.

First one to post answer "wins" and gets a "Dude" and then game is over..

Hopefully, first one to PM me with all three answers, while STILL is the "winner", gets a "Dude" later IF they let the game run for everybody else.

Game ends Wednesday night 6/8 one way or another.

View attachment 535863

#282. One "winner" and he was 100% right as usual .

1654720948106.png

1. Big city east of the Mississippi, in the USA: Where (city and state)? This is New York, New York

2. A place with "masterpieces" is located ight there with the Olds: What location (street names)?. The building on the corner of E. 89th street and Fifth Ave. is the Guggenheim Modern Art Museum

3. You cannot make this turn in a vehicle today. Why not (exact reason)? Everything is still there, but ince 1961 Fifth Avenue was made one-way North (MrMoparCHP found out that wa in 1966)...today you cannot make a right turn from E. 89th onto Ffth avenue.

1654724171622.png

1654721763344.png
UntitledEE2ccc12812Zx.png

@MrMoparCHP can describe how he solved this one if he wants.

I knew the Guggenheim Museum (a Frank Lloyd Wright design, and I am a fan. Built late 1950's so it was there in 1960) and where it was near Central Park. I didnt remember Fifth Avenue's direction tho, nor the cross street with Fifth Ave.

No issues though .. the Old's illustrator put a street sign in the drawing. It was either "E. 83rd" or "E. 88th" street. If one didn't know anything else, google that street clue IN the illustration on you'd likely wind up in NYC/Manhattan.

Google again to see if a place with "masterpieces" (hint number 2 - art gallery, or auction house, of museums might come up) is on E. 83rd, or E. 88th -- the Guggenheim is between E. 88th and E. 89th St.

To get the Olds in the right place vis-a-vis the museum, its gotta be turning off E89th onto Fifth Avenue. You'd probably need to use something like Google Maps/Earth to "land" at that intersection for a ground view and see of you can see the Guggenheim, or some structure that looks like the illustration.

UntitledEE2ccc12812AC.png

Last edited:
Not much on this one, like I said easy, the picture was all I needed.

My father was an architect and a massive Frank Lloyd Wright fan so needless to say the Guggenheim was easily recognized.
I figured the street was now one-way, looked up the location and got the street, looked through some early pictures of the Guggenheim to confirm.
The Guggenheim was built in 1959 and many "early" pictures showed it one way as well, Googled "Fifth Avenue NY one way" and found out it was January 14, 1966.

Alan

Last edited:
First, I had no idea where this was .. except the general locations advertising firms like to use, and we have seen many times in this thread.

So there was work to do .. unless of course you recognize location on sight like the '61 Olds in front of the Guggenheim.

As the OP, I believe I know where this is. Happy to be proven correct or wrong. :)

This is a screenshot (probably why its fuzzy) from a video (video shows as "private" now, but it may still be out there) for the 2021 MY Cadillacs, so it was likely produced Spring CY 2020 or so.

UntitledEE2ccc12812AG.png

1. West Coast USA, large city (one of the largest cities in the US): City and state?
2. Location in that city: Intersection of X & Y Street, looking what direction?
3. I believe the ad agency, as they do, did a little "photoshopping": Yes, or No (assumes you find this location of course)?

Again, I believe I found exactly where this still photo from the video is. I collected some photographic "proof" (including the agency "shopping" of minor photo elements at this location) using Google Maps. I have been to this city many times but NOT to this exact location.

If you know, post your three answers if you want. I will post my answers in a few days if nobody else offers anything up.

First, I had no idea where this was .. except the general locations advertising firms like to use, and we have seen many times in this thread.

So there was work to do .. unless of course you recognize location on sight like the '61 Olds in front of the Guggenheim.

As the OP, I believe I know where this is. Happy to be proven correct or wrong. :)

This is a screenshot (probably why its fuzzy) from a video (video shows as "private" now, but it may still be out there) for the 2021 MY Cadillacs, so it was likely produced Spring CY 2020 or so.

View attachment 536537

1. West Coast USA, large city (one of the largest cities in the US): City and state?
2. Location in that city: Intersection of X & Y Street, looking what direction?
3. I believe the ad agency, as they do, did a little "photoshopping": Yes, or No (assumes you find this location of course)?

Again, I believe I found exactly where this still photo from the video is. I collected some photographic "proof" (including the agency "shopping" of minor photo elements at this location) using Google Maps. I have been to this city many times but NOT to this exact location.

If you know, post your three answers if you want. I will post my answers in a few days if nobody else offers anything up.

Wilshire district, east of the 405?

I would have to say "yes" .. not knowing the city "neighborhods". but seems to me to be the right general area as I look at the location in GMaps.

another member pinned it down exactly .. but we are "discussing" whether photo is shopped ... he aint so sure it is.

nice sleuthin' so far though....

Last edited:
Here are two views, one is Google Earth showing the correct perspective and all elements
The other in Street View showing the hidden details not seen from the Street View closer to the correct location.
LA1.jpg

LA2.jpg

Alan

yes. the GEarth view confirms you are correct and aligns great. :) I had same issue with the Elysian Park Helipad you found a few years back -- geting the elevation of downtown LA correct was trouble initially for me.

Below is my attempt confirm the location using GMap .. focusing on the orange box? I don't really see te the skinny one with the arrrow.

Probably because its really is NOT skinny .. its just blocked by a "taller " structure more in the foreground and I still could not get the angles quite right in Streeet view.

And my resultuion is crappy (my PC is six years old .. I think I am gonna donate it to the Smithsonian next year).

@3175375 is definitely ALREADY in the right place, per his post above, so I am sure he got/will get it too. Hope he will chime in a little bit later and regale us how he got to the right place too... :)

Did anyone else notice the zombie in the quarter window? Pic is from page one of this thread.

66-78-9.jpg

Did anyone else notice the zombie in the quarter window? Pic is from page one of this thread.

View attachment 536624
yeah, you;re right. :)

thats particular shot right outta the 1979 brochure 1979 Chrysler New Yorker Brochure. I think its the blonde lady but the scan of the brochure is crappy. post #1 was the magazine copy..

further back in the brochure, she (same model) looks kinda spooky again - mascara came out bad in the webpage scan of the brochure..
1654818936846.png

they tried again in the blue car in the brochure, showing the vanity mirror feature that I guess was supposed to appeal to women. This was from INSIDE the car and came out better to me.
1654819144074.png

This is a fun game. Thanks for bringing this thread back to life.

Corner of Hope St (in the photo) and Wilshire Boulevard as mentioned by @3175375 above. Near the heart of downtown LA, north of the Staples Center (or whatever it is called now) and just east of the 110 freeway that goes through the center of Los Angeles.

Looking WNW (sun shines on the south sides of buildings in the northern hemisphere)

625-699 Wilshire Blvd · 625-699 Wilshire Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90017

She's a shape shifter. Beautiful one minute, scary zombie the next. Dated a few of those!

#290 is in Los Angelese, CA, intersection of Wilshire at Hope street, looking up Wilshire westerly. I was convinced by @MrMoparCHP that I was wrong .. the photo is not shopped.

I believe @3175375 got it, as did @SPF Required -- nice sleuthin' all you guys!

I found the location by googling "Hope Street" sign in the Caddie promo. Hope Street came up a few times but I picked Los Angeles as the likely city. LA is where ALL the car people shoot their marketing stuff. I just had to find Hope street

So go LA to do what?

Run up/down Hope Street in LA with Google Maps "Mr. Peg Man" looking for an intersection, with a street light, that had the landmarks in the Caddie piece. Took me longer since I am not from LA to find where "tall buildings" would be a proper backdrop.

NEW SEARCH

I have been to this city too, not to exact location but I am pretty sure where this car is supposed to be. I am NOT from this city.

I am also sure the "background" isnt right .. some buildings in view are out of place -- in fact, I am not even sure you can park a car to get these angles/backgrounds for this photo. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it

We'll see if I get proven wrong ... again. :).

Questions on this photo:

1. City and State (big city in the midwest USA is my pick)?
2. Location of this 300 IN that big city?
3. What's wrong with the picture -- can it be actually taken or not?

UntitledEE2ccc12812Yxyza.png

This is fun! I am almost 100% sure I know this building:

3FFAF721-82E4-46C1-9561-11462E21C1F5.jpeg

Which means I know the city…. But I cannot get the Google street view on my phone to a spot where I can recreate this view which makes me this this pic is from the top of a parking structure.

Edit: scratch that… not a parking structure.

Back