Which do you like better? Slab side or Fuselage?

When I was twenty years younger, I worked in a collision center, and every day this older man Alex, around seventy five years old at that time, would come up to me and ask ..."what you working on that piece of **** for?" No matter what I was working on it didn't matter, typically something from the eighties or ninety's. He was the previous shop owner, shop handed down through the generations, and now belonged to his son, who I worked for. Back then I wasn't quite sure why he said that every day. I figured he was just a grouchy old man. Being around and driving automobiles during the forties and fifties when automobiles were made out of steel, and nuts and bolts, and not held together with little plastic clips... as I say "when car were cars". Now that I am older and appreciate the '50s styling and engineering, I understand totally what he meant. I miss Alex.
I understand too, I just disagree.

There's an interesting article in the December issue of Hemmings Classic Car (yes, it's out already - in October.) They did a feature on a '79 Mercury Bobcat. Anticipating backlash for it, Editor Richard Lentinello wrote his commentary on why that car appears. It's a good read. See it on page 6 of teh Dec. '16 issue.

I've always liked the idea that my fuselage body was designed to resemble an aircraft! Sure there is a lot of wasted space but its big! It makes me think back to when & why they were designed so big? Perhaps people could say: "My cars bigger than yours!" & were comforted by that fact. Sure is different than the now typical: "How's the gas mileage?" when keeping up w/the Joneses.
When I was 16 in 1986 the parents opinion was the bigger the car the safer it must be. Certainly a Honda, Heaven forbid (if run over/crashed into) has no chance against a 69-73 c-body! They also float over the road like a boat on water like nothing Ive ever driven. The reason I own a muscle car 71 C-body 440/six pack is the power obviously & then the plush ride. No long trip will get old/too loud on the soft seats, heavily insulated interior & springy ride. Also I have something so unique as to confuse the population. How often do you pass a Camaro/Chevelle/Nova at a car show like it wasn't there?
All that said if it was nearby & reasonably priced Id own ANY (& have) c-body that became available no matter the condition! They all hold a place in my heart & keeping them out of scrapyards is a life mission.

Your parents weren't wrong. I read a report back in the 80's that said studies showed that passengers in older cars were fairing better in accidents than those in the newer, smaller, and lighter cars. It wasn't until passive restraints and (God forbid) airbags began to show their worth that this would change.

Last edited:
Your parents weren't wrong. I read a report back in the 80's that said studies showed that passengers in older cars were fairing better in accidents than those in the newer, smaller, and lighter cars. It wasn't until passive restraints and (God forbid) airbags began to show their worth that this wold change.

Back