White wall Tires for C-Bodies

1978 NYB

Warfighter
Legendary Member
Reaction score
I'm getting close to finishing the renovation on the road wheels. The tires are in good condition. No dry rot or cracks. I looked at the manufacture date and "aw sh*t" they were manufactured in 1999. I'm not going to take a chance and drive on tires that are 14 years old since I like to take the car up to 115+ mph on occasion and I'm going to drive it from the east coast to Wisconsin this year. So.....I've been driving myself crazy this week trying to find a set of white wall P235R75/15 tires for my 1978 NY'er. Here's what I found and I wanted to share this with you guy's. I found a place in Delaware called El's Tires that will mount/balance/install them for $118 apiece. This place is close enough to Dave & Gary too.

https://www.tiresavings.com/tireSho...ufacturer=Aurora&tirename=H715&season=Regular

AURORA715.jpg

I wanted Michelin's and just called them and Goodyear and neither make a passenger car white wall anymore. Michelin has a truck tire in P235R75/15 but I wouldn't want the road noise.

Yeah, I was a dork...... bought fat raised white lettering tires........what a dumb *** move that was. Doesn't look good on a C....at least not mine.

Yeah, I was a dork...... bought fat raised white lettering tires........what a dumb *** move that was. Doesn't look good on a C....at least not mine.

I agree, I would of went with a black wall if I didn't find these tires.

That place is five miles from home.........

No more goodyear whitewalls? That sucks!!!

Mine are nine years old and the look good .........187134 2005 on the move.jpg

187134 2005 on the move.jpg

That place is five miles from home.........

No more goodyear whitewalls? That sucks!!!

Mine are nine years old and the look good .........View attachment 9313

I talked to Michelin and Goodyear today and they both said 10 years is the max usage for tires no matter how little mileage has been driven on them. Brakes and tires are the 2 things that I won't take a risk on.

I wont surrender these tires until they're done. They need us to keep replacing tires otherwise they're out of business

You're right. They both said that they RECOMMEND changing tires every 5 years. I said that's nice but what is the actual discard age and they both said 10 years regardless of minimal mileage. They also said that there is no demand for 15" whitewall tires so they don't manufacture them any more. I don't know the history of the tires on the road wheels other than they're 14 years old. They got to go!

RWL's don't look good on Formal NY'ers either. They look outstanding on Dave's cars.

Thanks boys.... it depends on the wheels and the car itself.......... on every car, not just C bodies

Yeah Bob, if I didnt know the history I'd toss them too

Yep, I have to agree. Even though I cleaned my glasses and got the magnifying glass out and couldn't find any dry rot, cracks, or defects....I can't take that risk. I'm sure glad DOT requires date of manufacture codes on tires.

When I bought my Road wheels they had tires on them, brand new. The walls letters were still blue, I gave them to a friend to burn up on the track

Back