Who has upgraded from RV-2 to Sanden?

Yeah those screw right onto a Sanden and crimp the hose in the other end. The thermal expansion valve on your car should have the 2 probes the long temp one that lays in the groove on the suction line and the other is the pressure reference which you could probably skip if you ditch the RV2 compressor because no evaporator pressure regulator valve on the compressor. Four seasons #38844 is the TXV you need.

John it will work with your condenser it would just work better/more efficient with a new small tube double or triple pass condenser. Mine works with stock repaired condenser (waiting for that to crap out and change to a new style). The hoses are a crap shoot mine are working fine but I was time crunched and it worked. Leave as much steel line as you can, change the thermo-expansion valve (brass valve by fire wall with a disc on top and 2 probes coming out) change all of O rings to green ones, change the drier and flush all lines and evaporator, condenser with something to remove grease and evaporate completely I used brake clean chased with denatured alcohol and shop air to move it through ( the oil flows through the system so you need to flush out all the old mineral oil). Flush and fill old compressor or fill and install new Sanden. Suck it down for a hour or so to remove moisture and charge it up with 134.
I tried a couple places and got ticked off and bought a Mastercool crimper.

Amazon.com: Mastercool (71550) Black Manual A/C Hose Crimper: Automotive

I got lucky and found one on Ebay for under $100. I figured it wasn't a heck of a lot more than having the hoses done and time spent running around.

If you cut and fit your hoses and take them to a shop, mark the hose and fitting with a line to show how it's "clocked" to the fitting. The hoses have no twist.

I'm still working (mostly thinking) on this one myself. There are shops who will make the hoses for you, but you need to do all of the figuring out or pay a big premium.

I'm with Big_John, I finally got pissed enough to buy a new mastercool crimper... about $150... he probably bought one of the cheaper ones I tried for on EB. I still need to figure out where I will buy my supplies from, but lots of options are out there.

You should be able to get your lines made/crimped locally cheaper than shipping them back and forth. You do have to be careful that the hose/fittings are compatible with the crimper, I don't plan on using reduced barrier hose, so my cheaper kit should do what I want without too much drama.

I still need to figure out where I will buy my supplies from
I've been using this seller on Ebay.
MR FOMOCO MOTORCRAFT | eBay Stores

He seems to have the best selection at good prices... and the listings were easy to search. He called me once when Ebay started using the cart system and there was a hiccup. Really nice, knowledgeable guy.

Does anyone have some pictures???

Here's a few pics. Sorry for the quality, these were taken in the garage with a cell phone and flash.

I made brackets for the new condenser using the old brackets and bolting the perforated steel bracket material that came with the kit. The two electric fans are bolted to a bar that goes across the radiator and a standoff fastens to the condenser. The bottom hose comes through the cutout.

Lower condenser hose. Because the condenser now has both lines on one side, I had to use a 90 degree fitting.

90 degree off the compressor.

Upper hose from condenser goes through hole in support to compressor. I put a 90 degree fitting where it goes through the support. Note uber trick ball valve in heater hose.

Receiver/dryer with lower hose coming through radiator support. Relay for fans.

Into evaporator.

@ John Live4theking follow Big John's pictures if you are going to eliminate all the factory hard lines because the 844 valve will not go on new/made lines if you were going to use you original hard pipes at the firewall use the original type valve.
IMG_20170423_184016866.jpg
here is mine, the suction hose far left is new on old hard pipe, high pressure hose going to valve is original.

@ John Live4theking follow Big John's pictures if you are going to eliminate all the factory hard lines

I should have noted that all the underhood A/C stuff was MIA on my car. If the factory hard lines had been there, I probably would have tried to use them.

Thanks guys for the pictures and information. The condensers having the ports both on the same side definitely make things a little more interesting.
I had a used condenser from another car that I thought about using. I read that the cross flow condenser is supposed to be better for the R134a, but that's also from people trying to sell you a new condenser. The one I had was beat up anyway, so it gave up its brackets and was scrapped.

/live4theking I would think there is a john deer dealer or a farm equipment store near you, they can crimp high pressure hydraulic hoses, which is the same crimping machine

/live4theking I would think there is a john deer dealer or a farm equipment store near you, they can crimp high pressure hydraulic hoses, which is the same crimping machine
I tried that and they told me it's a different style crimp.

Keep in mind on the A/C crimp tools - after you are done with them you may likely never need them again. Figuring a little used tool depreciation you can always resell pretty quickly less than the new price on eBay or Craigs. I consider it renting the tool.

I will be watching this thread intently. In reading through this thread, my plan of just getting a new (to me) compressor and dropping it in, has evaporated? (pun intended lol)

Just got around to checking up on my A/C, and everything seems to work with the exception of the compressor itself. It makes quite the ruckus when I engage the A/C...piston slap me thinks.

Homer doh.png

That is a great tip. I have a pretty good relationship with the Peterbilt garage. We also have a Freightliner dealer that is reasonable close.
Take a little bit further ride down to Zachels International dealer by Clairion, Hunters will charge twice as much.

Pulled my car out from winter storage , found the original rv2 compressor to be knocking. I looked into this upgrade but I think I am going to stick with the rv2 compressor since I already have new lines and a NOS condensor. I spoke with original air and they want my old compressor and 10-12 weeks to rebuild it. Which is ridiculous . I refuse to buy a four seasons or a-1 car done. Has anyone used a napa pump or have a suggestion for a place to purchase a nice rv2 done in house? I don't really want to change my setup since I charged it with r12 4 years ago and have zero leaks. I suspect the leak sealer I put in it at the time of charging did a number on the compressor. does old air products, and vintage auto air sell new reman compressors?

Back