Who knows their stick shifts?

mdh157

Reaction score
My GP can sometimes be moved from one gear to the next even with the clutch out. Can anyone explain to me if I am wrong, but this should not occur, right? (car is turned off, btw)

It has been my experience that stick shift cars should not move between gears unless the clutch is in (disengaged).........am I wrong?

I do it all the time in my 300 and have done so in any stick I have ever had. Most of the time it goes real easy, but sometimes it has a bit of resistance.

So it's gtg then, I'm just clueless on the intricacies of a stick shift.

You say "is turned off" but what do you mean? You can do this when the car is off? When it's on? Both?

On multi-gear transmissions, you need to make the next set of gears (what you're changing into) match the speed of the output shaft, whether you're going up or down. Autos use the fluid coupling of the torque converter to do this. Most manual transmissions use something called synchromesh along with the clutch. These "synchros" drag a little bit going into gear each time and speed up the shafts to make them match. They are designed to be used with the clutch during shifts. If you match the revs really well, they don't come into play, and you don't need clutch or drag on the synchros to make a shift.

However, if you don't get it exactly right, it will still go into gear, but will cause extra drag and wear on the synchros. Over time, worn synchros will show themselves with a "graunch" going into gear.

So you can do it. I've done it. Lots of people do it. But on synchromesh transmissions (all road-going manual transmissions in Chryslers that we're talking about here), you risk accelerated wear.

For the sake of completeness, note that non-synchro boxes ("dog" boxes), the rules are different. Primarily for racing, they can wear faster if you use the clutch too much.

Edited to add: If this just happens sometimes when the car is off, you're just seeing what happens when all the gears are aligned and can slip in and out of gear. Because nothing is turning, it causes no harm.

Last edited:
You say "is turned off" but what do you mean? You can do this when the car is off? When it's on? Both?

On multi-gear transmissions, you need to make the next set of gears (what you're changing into) match the speed of the output shaft, whether you're going up or down. Autos use the fluid coupling of the torque converter to do this. Most manual transmissions use something called synchromesh along with the clutch. These "synchros" drag a little bit going into gear each time and speed up the shafts to make them match. They are designed to be used with the clutch during shifts. If you match the revs really well, they don't come into play, and you don't need clutch or drag on the synchros to make a shift.

However, if you don't get it exactly right, it will still go into gear, but will cause extra drag and wear on the synchros. Over time, worn synchros will show themselves with a "graunch" going into gear.

So you can do it. I've done it. Lots of people do it. But on synchromesh transmissions (all road-going manual transmissions in Chryslers that we're talking about here), you risk accelerated wear.

For the sake of completeness, note that non-synchro boxes ("dog" boxes), the rules are different. Primarily for racing, they can wear faster if you use the clutch too much.

My GP can sometimes be moved from one gear to the next even with the clutch out. Can anyone explain to me if I am wrong, but this should not occur, right? (car is turned off, btw)

It has been my experience that stick shift cars should not move between gears unless the clutch is in (disengaged).........am I wrong?

I took it as meaning while the car is not running he shifts the trans through the gears.

Last edited:
Nothing to worry about. Just means the gears are lined up. You can do it when driving too...With practice. Once moving truckers rarely use the clutch and they don't even have synchro's in their trans.

Your not actually moving the gears back and forth shifting, they touch all the time "constant mesh" you move a inside splined sleeve back and forth to lock gear spinning freely on shaft to said shaft, engaging that gear, the synchros help line that up, they are softer alloy, usually brass in our old stuff, that grabs edge of gear which has pointed dogs on it that the splined sleeve slides onto. BTW direct locks input to output crank and driveshaft spin same 3/4 gear hope this helps, yes yours is fine

Back