Why was there a motor-mount change from '65 to '66 ?

MoPar~Man

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
The 1965 Plymouth service manual is the only '65 manual I can find that shows frame dimensions.

I compare the 1965 Fury diagram with 1967. Since Fury had slant-6 and V-8 options for both years, I'm comparing the V-8 diagrams only.

65-67 frame pics close up..gif

The 1966 Chrysler and Monaco frame diagrams matches the above '67 diagram, so the change or transition in the motor-mount detail happened between '65 and '66.

I believe that 1965 was the last year for the wedge 413 / 426 engines - yes? But weren't also B block and A (small block 318 polysphere) also engine options for Fury in 1965?

I'm trying to understand what V8 options were available for the Fury in 1965, and how could all of them sit on those same frame mounts. And then the mounts changed in 1966?

Did all Chrysler frame engine mounts also change from '65 to '66 ?

(I now believe I have the above 1965 Fury V-8 frame, I will take a tape measure to it tomorrow and see if I get 21 11/16" between the holes)

1965 was the first real C-body car platform. It was the transitionary year from the 1964-and prior UniBody cars. The actual B/RB engine mounts are unique to 1965 also, not just the stub frame mounting locations.

1965 C-body engines were Slant 6 225, Poly 318 2bbl, 383 2bbl and 4bbl (both with the 252/252 cam, 413 4bbls (340hp single exhaust and 360hp dual exhaust), and the 426-W 365hp engine. Of these, the 383s and 413s were the ONLY engines in Chrysler vehicles, but Plymouth and Dodge could have them all. ONE quirk is that the 383 4bbl engine was a single exhaust engine in the Chryslers, but dual exhaust in the Plymouths and Dodges, with the same 315 horsepower rating on them all.

The 361 2bbl was still around, from 1964, but only in the B-body cars. 383s were only 4bbls in the B-bodies that year.

In order to look at the actual motor mounts and such, there might be an exploded view of them in the 1965 Chrysler Parts Manual. Similar in the 1966 parts book for comparison.

Perhaps this might answer some of your questions.
CBODY67

So if someone wanted to swap a '65 Fury V8 stub frame into a '66 - '68, they could do it, but they'd need the '65 motor mounts correct? And it wouldn't matter what block (small or big block) because the engine mounting geometry is the same - correct?

By the way, Rockauto doesn't list a 413 engine option for '65 Fury. It lists 361, 383, and 426 (and others, but not the 413).

Rockauto offers Anchor 2227 and 2228 for 1965 motor mounts, and Anchor 2250 (fits either side) for 1967.

Although, confusingly, it also offers Pioneer 602250 (for either side) for both 1965 and 1967 for several different V8's so I don't know how the same part can be workable on two different frames. Summit says the 602250 is good for 1966 and up, so I guess rockauto is wrong.

Ah ha!

Mopar 1965 C Body Engine mount kit for New Yorker, Newport, Polara, Chrysler 300​

$150

====================
For 1965 C bodies, the engine brackets are a one year only design. These are reproductions of the factory engine brackets which require specific bosses cast into the front of the block. Many factory blocks have these bosses, but not all of them, so be sure to check before you finalize the block you are going to use. We also have changed the drivers side mount slightly to be able to use the commonly available rubber mount (included) instead of the factory original one which has been discontinued and unavailable for many years. This auction is for the complete kit, which includes the engine mounting brackets, left and right hand rubber engine mounts, and the bolts which hold the brackets to the engine block. Brackets are made in the USA!
=====================

See also:

Last edited:
I downloaded the '64, '65', and '66 Chrysler parts books. In each of the parts books, you can look to see what goes where, as to engine block brackets and insulators (rubber motor mounts). In many cases on C-bodies, only the lh mount is unique in C-body cars. The B-body and C-body items on the rh side are usually the same.

At the factory level, what is termed "motor mounts" consists of the metal bracket which bolts to the engine block AND the rubber insulator which bolts to both the engine bracket and the "frame brackets" on the stub frame. In the field, only the rubber item is replaced when it separates and fails.

In addition to an Uncle Tony video detailing the different 1965 B/RB engine brackets, there are a few other places which mention it. Plus the boss on the lh frt of the block where it bolts in. With that bracket, it is attached to the lh lower frt of the block and also to the side of the block. Unlike later model and B-body mounts which attach "as expected" on the side of the block only. The parts book illustrations also indicate the uniqueness of that particular B/RB lh frt engine-side mount bracket.

I cannot speak to what the aftermarket lists as THEY have the capability of combining applications by making a small addition or similar, which the factory did not do, for example. This makes sense on their side as it decreases the total number of part numbers they must manufacture and sell. But for 1965, the lh engine bracket for C-bodies has a particular rubber mount that matches it.

The interesting thing is that the 426-W motor in Plymouths and Dodge C-body cars appears to have the same engine brackets as the B-body applications do, for both sides.

As to using a '65 C-body stub frame on a '67 C-body, the engine bracketry and mounts would need to match the model year of the stub frame. To me, that seems the logical thing to do. I'm not sure what kind of mounting lugs are on the '66 and later blocks, vs the '65s. This is a recent discovery on my part and the first time I remember reading about it.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Arg. I don't care about engine history and options. What do I have here?

frame-what-is-it.jpg

And what can I do with it?

If you don't need it, sell it.
I can't sell it without being able to tell a buyer what will bolt up to it.

I would use it myself if I knew I could bolt a small-block up to it. Without doing any welding / hacking.

I like the wide mount positions they had in '65. Much more sturdy for the engine and the frame if you ask me.

Edit: I've just had a look at the '65 Chrysler service manual from MyMopar.com - it's missing the frame section (section 13).

I can't believe that nobody here with a 1965 C-body has ever had to deal with r&r engine mounts / engine brackets.

Last edited:
I'm sure someone has, but not everyone checks the site on a daily basis. You post it in the Gold Member section too?

I’m pretty sure that left mount forward of the steering box is 65 big block only. I believe small block and slant use the more conventional mounting next to the steering box. If you want to bolt a small block to this stub without fab work, I don’t believe that to be possible.

As a side note, 67-69 big block A-bodies used the 65 big block mounting system on the drivers side. If a guy is building one, there is the factory engine bracket, the 440 source engine bracket (both require the correct bosses on the front of the block, and there’s another mount that uses mounting locations that should work on any big block. This last option does not look factory, and I don’t recall who makes it.
Travis..

1965 was the first real C-body car platform. It was the transitionary year from the 1964-and prior UniBody cars. The actual B/RB engine mounts are unique to 1965 also, not just the stub frame mounting locations.

1965 C-body engines were Slant 6 225, Poly 318 2bbl, 383 2bbl and 4bbl (both with the 252/252 cam, 413 4bbls (340hp single exhaust and 360hp dual exhaust), and the 426-W 365hp engine. Of these, the 383s and 413s were the ONLY engines in Chrysler vehicles, but Plymouth and Dodge could have them all. ONE quirk is that the 383 4bbl engine was a single exhaust engine in the Chryslers, but dual exhaust in the Plymouths and Dodges, with the same 315 horsepower rating on them all.

The 361 2bbl was still around, from 1964, but only in the B-body cars. 383s were only 4bbls in the B-bodies that year.

In order to look at the actual motor mounts and such, there might be an exploded view of them in the 1965 Chrysler Parts Manual. Similar in the 1966 parts book for comparison.

Perhaps this might answer some of your questions.
CBODY67
Two quirks for Canadian cars were, the poly was the 313, and the base Chrysler Windsor engine was the 361.

Check the link provided and look through the pics. There are some of the short block in the engine bay where you can see the mount in front of the steering box. Later in the thread there are pics of the left mount on an engine. Maybe the guy who started the thread has an engine bay pic without the engine so you can see the k member mounts.
Travis..

Cat’s Out Of The Bag, ‘65 300L Manual Trans, A/C and More

Back