Will it Fit?

1966-300

Reaction score
This is a question for anyone who has installed an engine and transmission bolted together. I just finished rebuilding my 383 and 727 torqueflight. I took the engine out individually then a few months later the trans. My question is can they be installled bolted together with the radiator support still installed? I have seen some pictures of it being done but want to see if anyone has experience doing so. Obviously it will have to be tilted trans down quite a bit but again just want to see if I would be better installing seperately. Any opinions welcome.

If the transmission mount is out and the nose of the car is VERY high it should work. You would need some muscle and some guidance, I have never done it but know people who prefer to do it this way. I do not.

I did it with `68 b-body years ago so I'm sure it wouldn't be difficult in a c-body.

I've pulled and installed many BB's with the tranny attached many times.
No need to remove anything except the hood, radiator shroud, fan, and transmission cross member.
I slip a piece of plywood of plywood behind the radiator for protection.
But use a H.D. cherry picker at all costs. I can pull them by myself but installing them absolutely requires a buddy.
Commando1's helpfull hint # 117: Have the rear wheels up on ramps (and chocked, of course).

Thanks to everyone. I took the advise of Commando and jacked up the rear end and within 45 minutes I had the engine and tranny stuffed and bolted in place. Now I just need to get all the piece parts in place and fire it up. Hope to be driving her again by the 4th of July. Thanks again.

"... jacked up the rear end and within 45 minutes I had the engine and tranny stuffed and bolted in place"

Attaboy!
:yourock:

Thanks to everyone. I took the advise of Commando and jacked up the rear end and within 45 minutes I had the engine and tranny stuffed and bolted in place. Now I just need to get all the piece parts in place and fire it up. Hope to be driving her again by the 4th of July. Thanks again.

Thats terrific ........Stan is full of great ideas.

That is a great idea Stan!

Back