Wilwood calibers

polara383500

Reaction score
Has anyone just change the budd calibers to something diff just asking??

Might depend on the configuration of the OEM caliper and what it mounts to. I suspect most Wilwood calipers are designed as upgrades for factory drum brakes rather than replacements for OEM calipers?

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

They have parts available to rebuild the Bids calipers. I don't have a link or company name, but the parts are being produced. Is that the setup on your Polara?

They have parts available to rebuild the Bids calipers. I don't have a link or company name, but the parts are being produced. Is that the setup on your Polara?
Yeah! Everything is good just didn’t know if there were just a caliber kit!

As noted, the Wildwood caliper is a replacement to convert from drum brakes. If you are wanting get rid of the Budd calipers, it would probably be simpler to find a set of '69-'73 spindles and change them out. These will accept the later single piston caliper. You will also need to change the lower ball joint as it is also different. All doable. The other option might be to just have the dual piston Budd caliper rebuilt by a competent rebuilder, usually this will involve having the Budd caliper sleeved as they are usually scored from use. The downside to this option is that lower ball joints for the vehicles with Budd caliper are no longer available, so you might have to do the spindle conversion anyway if you ball joints are worn out.

Dave

As noted, the Wildwood caliper is a replacement to convert from drum brakes. If you are wanting get rid of the Budd calipers, it would probably be simpler to find a set of '69-'73 spindles and change them out. These will accept the later single piston caliper. You will also need to change the lower ball joint as it is also different. All doable. The other option might be to just have the dual piston Budd caliper rebuilt by a competent rebuilder, usually this will involve having the Budd caliper sleeved as they are usually scored from use. The downside to this option is that lower ball joints for the vehicles with Budd caliper are no longer available, so you might have to do the spindle conversion anyway if you ball joints are worn out.

Dave
Good to know! Thanks

Yeah I converted to Wildwood from BUDD. But I'm also using 2014 Lincoln MKZ rotors. So there's a bit involved. If your rotors are good then the swap should be fairly easy. Should just need to make a caliper bracket.

The BUDD bolt spacing is 6"and 7/8s. The Wildwoods I used had 3.5" bolt hole spacing. But the MKZ rotors meant a 5/8" offset in my bracket. Factory may not require any offset.

Also I'd add, if you're going to go the Wilwood route, down grade to Drum spindles and ball joints then purchase the full kit.

willys_standard-photo-2021_01_24_20_54.jpg

Last edited:
Back