Winter Project Underway

Omni

Reaction score
Good Day All and Happy New Year

The 'Party Barge' ('65 Newport) has been in in dry dock for several weeks.
Parts are starting to arrive (slowly).
Received the radio back from S&M Christmas Eve. Just finished up the dash re-install.
IMG_1090.JPG

IMG_1092.JPG

Now I'm waiting on the front seat/motor/exhaust and rear spring removal/replace.
Omni

Dr Dodge
Not difficult at all. Everything under the dash is '65 vintage.
Everything under the hood is later model. If you want to use the newer style brake/cruise switch, some fabrication will be in order. I opted to use the original style cruise switch as it was easier.
The challenge parts is the wiring and the speedo cables. '65 speedo cables are the last year for the small speedo pinion. The original can be used to run from the transmission to the servo however, it will be rather long. Newer cables from the servo to the speedometer head will not work as the newer heads use a clip on style instead of a screw on style. Every now and then the cables come up on E Bay, but they are rather pricey. To get the correct length/style for both, I had Imperial Services make a set. The wiring was accomplished by comparing the '65 wiring schematics to later model (mid '70s) schematics.
Fishing the wires through the column involved removing the insulated end and reinstalling after I got them through.
Overall not difficult, just think outside the box.
Note: I did all this with the motor removed, so I do not have any 'road test' info. I have however, done this on a '64 /6 Dart with good success.

Omni

Dr Dodge
Not difficult at all. Everything under the dash is '65 vintage.
Everything under the hood is later model. If you want to use the newer style brake/cruise switch, some fabrication will be in order. I opted to use the original style cruise switch as it was easier.
The challenge parts is the wiring and the speedo cables. '65 speedo cables are the last year for the small speedo pinion. The original can be used to run from the transmission to the servo however, it will be rather long. Newer cables from the servo to the speedometer head will not work as the newer heads use a clip on style instead of a screw on style. Every now and then the cables come up on E Bay, but they are rather pricey. To get the correct length/style for both, I had Imperial Services make a set. The wiring was accomplished by comparing the '65 wiring schematics to later model (mid '70s) schematics.
Fishing the wires through the column involved removing the insulated end and reinstalling after I got them through.
Overall not difficult, just think outside the box.
Note: I did all this with the motor removed, so I do not have any 'road test' info. I have however, done this on a '64 /6 Dart with good success.

Omni
Thanks for the info. I was wondering about the speedometer cable I had noted that the trans end is different than the later cars when I had it out this spring for frame swap. The brake switch I am using is out of 85 5th Ave as is pedal arm booster and master and proportioning valve.

Dr Dodge
What year are you working on? I'm curious about the proportioning valve, does your car have front disc brakes?
Here is web address for Imperial Services for the speedo cables
Imperial Services - C-Body Parts
Omni

When I first put my 65 Windsor on the road I needed brakes and since I don't believe in the single pot master I needed something dual circuit and I had 85 fifth ave to plunder for useable bits. Still need to do the 73 disk upgrade. With drums she brakes really good with the 235 15inch rubber and had the tendency to lock up the 14 inch minivan rubber that was installed when I bought it. There are pictures of parts on my Resurrection thread. That link is really cool.

Dr Dodge
I just thought of one other detail for your cruise install.
Make sure that you follow the Service Manual for the '85 when installing the brake/cruise switch. The setting between the brake arm and the switch plunger is critical for correct operation.
Omni

Swap that steering wheel back to normal and it's gonna look great! Elwood knew what he was doing......

Somebody with a 70-72 A or E body will pay a premium for the rimblow steering wheel.
Looks out of place inbyour car...love the wheel just not in a C..sorry.

Winter Project Update
With my new found knowledge concerning pictures and narrating them, I thought I would post some more pics of the current state of the 'Party Barge'.
Interior Then: Unfortunately the mouse nest pics are to large to load. Needless to say that is where a lot of the headline backing material went.
IMG_0907.JPG

IMG_0906.JPG

IMG_0918.JPG

Interior Now:
IMG_1033.JPG

IMG_1038.JPG

Still haven't got the front seat back from the upholsterer. Once I do and the weather co-operates, I plan on driving it to his shop where he can remove/replace the headliner. More to come as time permits.

I'd be interested to know if you find the carpet set a bit mis-shapen. Mine came from ACC, and I assume your's did too. I was not particularly happy with the moulding of the pieces.

Richard
Yes, mine came from ACC. The rear section appears that it will not cover the sides of the seats as the original. It looks like it will be lacking a couple of inches which I think I can get from the trimming of the sides.
The front fit fairly decent with the drivers foot area not as large as the original.
Once I get the seats installed (which is after the headliner) I can post pics and narrate on the fit (or lack thereof) of the carpet.
Omni

That's weird OMNI that the rear won't cover the sides. Personally, I would advise that you don't cut the thing, and inform ACC of the issue. My issue was that there wasn't enough carpet extending underneath the dash. Unfortunately, I had made some other cuts before I realized this, so I own the piece. ALSO, the carpet was way too big over the transmission hump from front to back. I guess the takeaway is this: really inspect/dry-fit the pieces before cutting.

I had no such issues with my '63 Riviera or '65 Skylark. Those installations turned out fine. And overall, the NYer looks OK too, just not perfect.

113_0686.JPG

113_0685.JPG

Back