Wipers do not cover windshield

Moseman

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
To All,

I read the various Forum posts about wipers not parking. I have a slightly different problem. On my 75 Imp. the wipers do not cover the full windshield. The manual says that the low speed wiper on dry glass should be max. of 5.1", I have almost 8". The wipers park, but do not tuck completely. According to the manual if the blades do not park properly, the cause may be loose clutch spring on crank. I am not sure what this means. I have replaced the motor, no change, the crank on the motor output spins freely on the drive link.
Any thoughts?

To All,

I read the various Forum posts about wipers not parking. I have a slightly different problem. On my 75 Imp. the wipers do not cover the full windshield. The manual says that the low speed wiper on dry glass should be max. of 5.1", I have almost 8". The wipers park, but do not tuck completely. According to the manual if the blades do not park properly, the cause may be loose clutch spring on crank. I am not sure what this means. I have replaced the motor, no change, the crank on the motor output spins freely on the drive link.
Any thoughts?

Check your linkage arms for excessive play at the joints. You can do this by leaving the wipers parked on the windshield, then gently try to move the wiper arm back and forth. If you get more than about 1" free play, something is worn out in the linkage or bushings. Wiper linkages also get bent in snow country from the wiper blades being snow bound or frozen to the windshield.

Dave

Check your linkage arms for excessive play at the joints. You can do this by leaving the wipers parked on the windshield, then gently try to move the wiper arm back and forth. If you get more than about 1" free play, something is worn out in the linkage or bushings. Wiper linkages also get bent in snow country from the wiper blades being snow bound or frozen to the windshield.

Dave
Yessirree, There is some free play. I assume the the linkages are Unobtanium? I guess the next step is to pull the wipers, drop the pivots and pull the linkages.
Then see if the bushings can be retrofitted with something off the shelf!
Nothing is simple, isn't it?

74-77 Formal wipers parts are all the same and plentiful. You can get NOS bushings from any Dodge dealer. Just ask for 1996 Dodge Ram Van wiper linkage bushings.

If you need wiper txsm, linkage or any other parts try www.cbodies.com

The derby guys will happy to sell them too.

74-77 Formal wipers parts are all the same and plentiful. You can get NOS bushings from any Dodge dealer. Just ask for 1996 Dodge Ram Van wiper linkage bushings.

If you need wiper txsm, linkage or any other parts try www.cbodies.com

The derby guys will happy to sell them too.
Thanks, off to the Dodge house!
Rangers Lead The Way!

Dave
Thanks again Dave, took a little, those darn little tabs on the wiper arms are buggers! Yes, one of the those little Delrin bushings is shot. Thanks to you all for the help.

Back