Wollfen's 1971 Sport Fury GT !

hadn't realized this was your car ....seems theres more to ya than we know ...you've already bin der done dat...looks like we have some catchin up to do :O)

Well, at least you scored the NOS GT trunk decal from me! Glad to see it go to a good home with you. Your car will be awesome!

Gosh, I received 4 PMs regarding the center caps, all within a couple minutes of each other! You 71 SFGT guys are really on this! I did find the caps late this afternoon, and I will take some photos of them and post them in this link later tomorrow. I have no idea how to price them, so I will just let you guys make me an offer once you have seen them.

lm good..l have the nos Gear set that l picked up and was orriginal to my car to begin with..wolfens gona need....if thier sittin about to long drop me a pm

Okay, some RWL tires for perusal and consideration, they all seem to be very similar though and the Cooper GT'ss really aren't that different in my opinion.
View attachment 65827

My thoughts... IDK enough about the other brands... my best luck ride quality wise was with Michelin and Continental... but I worked a parts time PB job for a while, long ago and I felt ASHAMED of myself every time I put a set of these on... never saw a set of 4 that all were round... they will hold air and are cheapish... but ride sucks. Also, if ride quality is of interest ask if the installer uses a Hunter RoadForce balancer... very expensive, so lots of tire stores don't have them... but with someone who knows how to use it... I used to make factory 18" 35 series tire ride better than most believed was possible. I know this will bring groans and outrage... Ford dealer price match deal is honored at most/all dealers and they are required to own at least 1 RoadForce balancer... call for a quote when you decide... may be a pleasant surprise... and a photo opportunity. Had tires put on the mother in laws Lexus earlier this year... best price in town.

BTW how is the wife doing?

Gosh, I received 4 PMs regarding the center caps, all within a couple minutes of each other! You 71 SFGT guys are really on this! I did find the caps late this afternoon, and I will take some photos of them and post them in this link later tomorrow. I have no idea how to price them, so I will just let you guys make me an offer once you have seen them.

The set of 4 NOS 71 GT trim rings that Bill sold a few years ago went for a grand ........ I personally never mind paying a kings ransom for the only one available.

I paid $800 for the NOS centers that are now on my Convertible. Four centers came up a year ago , NOS that I believe Critter paid the Buy It Now price of a grand for. I cant imagine what four 1 year specific centers could possibly fetch...

My thoughts... IDK enough about the other brands... my best luck ride quality wise was with Michelin and Continental... but I worked a parts time PB job for a while, long ago and I felt ASHAMED of myself every time I put a set of these on... never saw a set of 4 that all were round... they will hold air and are cheapish... but ride sucks. Also, if ride quality is of interest ask if the installer uses a Hunter RoadForce balancer... very expensive, so lots of tire stores don't have them... but with someone who knows how to use it... I used to make factory 18" 35 series tire ride better than most believed was possible. I know this will bring groans and outrage... Ford dealer price match deal is honored at most/all dealers and they are required to own at least 1 RoadForce balancer... call for a quote when you decide... may be a pleasant surprise... and a photo opportunity. Had tires put on the mother in laws Lexus earlier this year... best price in town.

BTW how is the wife doing?
I will check around on that, roadforce balancer, I hadn't heard of that before. As for the wife, she said to tell you she is doing pretty decent, her cast is on for another 8 weeks though, so it is slow progress.

So I been window shopping. I'm thinking a set of Cooper Cobra tires 235/70x15 might be the way to go, raised white lettering and all. Plus only $89ea plus fitting. Hmm, if I wait till Christmas Cooper may have a discount coupon available too. Maybe.
View attachment 65547

I picked up some 255/60R15 that I'll be putting on in the spring. No sense in letting them sit outside all winter. My winter storage fell through.

The set of 4 NOS 71 GT trim rings that Bill sold a few years ago went for a grand ........ I personally never mind paying a kings ransom for the only one available.

I paid $800 for the NOS centers that are now on my Convertible. Four centers came up a year ago , NOS that I believe Critter paid the Buy It Now price of a grand for. I cant imagine what four 1 year specific centers could possibly fetch...

And this is why my vert project is driver quality. Cleaned up, every thing looks good at 65mph.

Okay, some RWL tires for perusal and consideration, they all seem to be very similar though and the Cooper GT'ss really aren't that different in my opinion.
View attachment 65825View attachment 65826View attachment 65827View attachment 65828View attachment 65829View attachment 65830View attachment 65831

A couple questions Wollfen........

How many miles do you think you will put on this SF GT a year?

Without thinking about cost, which of the seven tires you posted do you like the best?

so far the BF goodrich TA are about the best choice imo....not 100% but close to what lm looking for myself...want the RWL but dont want a busy looking sidewall or a tread thats gona pick up alota rocks ect

Just to be clear, you are saying that the trim rings that Bill sold a few years ago were for the ralley road wheel trim rings (smoothies) standard for the 71 Sport Fury GT only (optional on other 71 Furys). Correct? I assume all your comments apply to the more common chrome style road wheels?

I think I would be luck to put 2K miles a year on the thing, who knows? i might end up loving the ride and tear assing down the highway every weekend.
As for the best tire, Umm its a toss up between the Cooper GT listed earlier and the BF Goodrich.

Without thinking about cost, which of the seven tires you posted do you like the best?

Just to be clear, you are saying that the trim rings that Bill sold a few years ago were for the ralley road wheel trim rings (smoothies) standard for the 71 Sport Fury GT only (optional on other 71 Furys). Correct? I assume all your comments apply to the more common chrome style road wheels?

Correct, the 71 trim rings

And the early standard road wheel centers

For those waiting for some photos of the center caps, I just wanted to let you know that I am having connectivity issues between my camera and my computer. Once I sort them out, I will post the photos. Sorry for the delay.

I think I would be luck to put 2K miles a year on the thing, who knows? i might end up loving the ride and tear assing down the highway every weekend.
As for the best tire, Umm its a toss up between the Cooper GT listed earlier and the BF Goodrich.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by WorkerBee

I'm thinking that the warranty on the Cooper GT's is irrelevant for the miles you're going to put on them and that deep down you really want the BF Goodrich's, but don't want to spend the extra money.

Go with the BF Goodrich T/A. :poke:

warrantys real don't matter.

But tires do age so I would buy them short before the car is supposed to hit the road and not now.

Carsten

warrantys real don't matter.

But tires do age so I would buy them short before the car is supposed to hit the road and not now.

Carsten

Does it slow down the aging process if they are in dry storage and barely ever see daylight? I plan on putting on some Cooper Cobra tires I got with some rims a few years back, they still have the stickers on them.

Does it slow down the aging process if they are in dry storage and barely ever see daylight? I plan on putting on some Cooper Cobra tires I got with some rims a few years back, they still have the stickers on them.

yes, they do age, too.
Of course way less compared to being on a car parked outside.
But rubber simply looses its softener.
So they get hard and when being used start to crack faster

attachment.php

Going out on an limb here, but what is it in a mouse's DNA that makes them ALWAYS chew a hole in the headliner in nearly this identical spot? I have had 3 c bodies that had a mouse hole in this area, give or take 2 inches?

Last edited:
Back