Wth? Never seen this before

cbarge

World Famous Barge in a Budget
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Its getting replaced.

How the engine still runs on it blows my mind.
Question is what happened?.

20230606_174936.jpg

Odd, it was unhappy about something.

Why so many wire’s to the bolt on terminals of that coil. I’ve never seen that before either.

Odd, it was unhappy about something.

Why so many wire’s to the bolt on terminals of that coil. I’ve never seen that before either.
The car has a factory tach, so I am assuming 2 wires for it.
Also has upgraded electronic ignition.
Car is still fairly new to me and I am getting familiarized.

Off hand, I'd say the coil overheated. Maybe it was bad to begin with... Maybe it lost its oil a few drops at a time, so you never noticed.

The other thing I would question is if the primary resistance of the coil was correct with your Pertronix ignition. From what I've read here Pertronix Flame-Thrower II Coil, the Ignitor I should have a coil with a primary resistance of 1.5 ohms. The Ignitor II uses a lower resistance of .6 ohms. That's assuming you are using a Pertronix...

You said it has been upgraded to electronic ignition. If the CPU is not properly grounded it taxes the coil as well. Both get overheated. Usually the CPU transistor will open up the transistor until it cools down again. That happened to me many years ago when I first upgraded to the orange box. When it shut down I noticed both the coil and CPU were too hot to touch. I would replace the coil and make sure the CPU has less than .05 ohms between the case and neg post on the battery. I bet it is way higher.

Last edited:
You said it has been upgraded to electronic ignition. If the CPU is not properly grounded it taxes the coil as well. Both get overheated. Usually the CPU transistor will open up the transistor until it cools down again. That happened to me many years ago when I first upgraded to the orange box. When it shut down I noticed both the coil and CPU were too hot to touch. I would replace the coil and make sure the CPU has less than .05 ohms between the case and neg post on the battery. I bet it is way higher.
The ECU has its own ground wire screwed into the firewall.
Possibly the previous owner grounded it after this happened to the coil?

maybe the electronic conversion wiring job bypassed the ballast resistor and fed full 12v to the coil at all times?

Also is that coil mounted on the hot intake? I had a coul die like that before. Overheated.

The ECU has its own ground wire screwed into the firewall.
Possibly the previous owner grounded it after this happened to the coil?
I would verify it though with a digital ohm meter. I've seen dedicated ground wires that were not doing their job because of paint or a bad connection. It only takes a second to prove it. We all know the definition of Assume. That is what got me in trouble when I scraped the paint off behind the mounting screw thinking it would be a good ground and it tested at 25 ohms.

Last edited:
Maybe key was in on position with car off (listening to radio)? I believe that feeds the coil the full 12 volts which is not good over a long time.

Back