Your fuel line pump to carb has to be better than mine. Any pics to help me design it better?

That's the exact pump I bought. The 440 pump is coming out tomorrow and I'll have all of this finally sorted. As for the clamps, the last Fram plastic filter I bought had the metal style.. I'm going to reuse those and use Stainless Steel 5/16th hose clamps on the suction side like you did. I don't really need the heat shield, I don't have headers, but that's a great idea for anyone that does. I sorted the coil connectors with the standard blue connectors with heat shrink over them. They look really good. Like you, I soldered them as well. The negative once wasn't and ripped out with very little effort. Whoever worked on this car before me was a corner cutter for sure.

Also installed now is the new wiper wash system. I had some minor issues with that. The screws they included weren't long enough, so a quick run to Ace hardware got me the correct self tapping screws. The new pump was larger than the original holes, so had to drill a new one. All good, and it's working great.. although I'll never use it. LOL! I still don't have the correct nozzles, but someday I'll come across them and put them in when I do.

I found the proper air cleaner on eBay, I just need to send it out for bead blasting and powder coating... and I'm going to cheat.. I'm going to buy the '66 "Commando 383" metal cap. It just looks too cool. LOL!

I still have to cut back the heater hoses and put on the proper hose clamps. They actually have them at Ace for dirt cheap. I also need an elbow fitting for my manifold vacuum port. As it sits the brake booster vacuum line is vertical and gets in the way of the new air cleaner.

Overall... the little changes I'm making are coming along nicely. Getting it back to as close to OEM as I can has been a fun challenge.

IMG_20191118_141646483.jpg

IMG_20191118_141637228_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

IMG_20191118_155218239.jpg

Last edited:
Overall... the little changes I'm making are coming along nicely. Getting it back to as close to OEM as I can has been a fun challenge.
View attachment 330909

That's all good stuff.........except for that MOPAR sticker on the booster. :poke:

Getting that air filter housing blasted and painted will be a really nice addition for sure.

I chuckled when you said "cutting corners". I hadn't thought of that term in years, but that's exactly what we've both (we've all) had to UNDO to get an OEM look and get things working correctly in the process. And I agree that it is kinda fun to research what is correct, find the stuff [repro or used], and make the changes.

As for Ace, they have all sorts of items that are (nearly) identical to OEM bits. For instance, the band-style springy hose clamps (in various colors based on size) used for lines OTHER than fuel are readily available at my local Ace, much less cost that repro houses charge, plus you can see and feel and test the size on a piece of hose to eliminate ordering guesswork. And yeah, I think they have the Corbin clamps for heater/radiator hoses, but a cheap kit from the repro houses makes it easy. I bought two, just so I'd have plenty of clamps.

Anyway, looking good!

Last edited:
Thought I'd give a final update to this debacle. Thanks for all of your input and help sorting this although simple, but still complex mystery. Turns out, I had a fuel pump from a 440, and a rigged fuel line. A poor one at best. I replaced the fuel pump, and tossed in a new pushrod while I was there. Also cleaned up and painted the motor on the right side, as well as the chassis and alternator. I caught the "while I'm here" bug, and got infected with it. Lol.

So here's some pics...I also cleaned up the wires as they were brittle, cut the heater hose to a more sensible length, new fuel lines, and ordered new suspension covers...not installed yet.

Before and after shots. Yes... The Mopar sticker is still there .. I did say right side of motor... Lol. That whole setup is coming out right after Thanksgiving. New booster, lines, dual MC, wheel cylinders...etc.. going in

Thanks again for all the help and advice. This forum is great and fantastic place to learn from.

Happy Thanksgiving!!

JR

IMG_20191124_094249689.jpg

IMG_20191120_120117548.jpg

IMG_20191125_114248223.jpg

IMG_20191125_120244680.jpg

IMG_20191125_132009412.jpg

I just looked at your latest pic vs your first one with the fuel filter above the valve cover. What a difference....so much more tidy.

And correct!

Thanks! You're advice, knowledge and pics were very helpful and I appreciate it! Just so you know and you can finally sleep better at night... the 'Mopar' booster is out... :lol::thumbsup:

IMG_20191125_175438057.jpg

IMG_20191125_182020859.jpg

M4589 is not correct for use with the lovely Inline pump-to-carb kit. M3672 teams perfectly with the kit.

I have photographed a few TNT/Super Commando engines with the 3672 configuration.

Back