The Bluesmobile

I've forgotten how fun this part is. Always think I'll blast through it. But no... lol

Going in sections. Passenger side is done( except for a final sanding before paint). About half way through on the driver side. Gotta sand it down again, and add another layer of filler.

Rear bumper is NOT coming off. It didn't want to last time, but figured I'd try again. Gonna make things a little more difficult. Plus I can't pull the plastic filler to paint.
Nothing at home ever goes as fast as it seems it should.

Muwahahahahaha!!! IT'S AAALLLIIIVVEEEE!!!!!!!!

My buddy came over to help for the day. Only had 2 hiccups. Starter wires weren't tightened down all the way. Wouldn't turn over at first. But fired after tightening. Next was the new hei dizzy wasn't wired correctly. After messing with it for an hour or so got it figured out. She came right to life on first bump of the key!

After 30 mins of break in topped the trans and power steering. Also played with the timing and carb a tiny bit. Running real good so far!

I'm tickled pink right now! Sooo happy! lol

Is that not one of the finest feelings? I remember torching off my 440 the first time. Quite a few things went screwy in the first 30 minutes but as they got settled and I was just listening to it hum it was just heaven! Awesome job, man. Congratulations!

That bish sounds great!! Congrats on getting her running. What are the engine specs again?

Thanks!

Nothing that will keep up with your new toy! lol here's the thread on it-

Help me spend some $$

'73 440 bored 40 over.
346 Heads shaved 10thous with a valve job, and matching comp cam valve train installed. Comp cam xe256H cam, with double rolling timing chain. Melling high volume oil pump. Topped with a eddy 1406 carb. Stock intake, and exhaust manifolds in place...

Is that not one of the finest feelings? I remember torching off my 440 the first time. Quite a few things went screwy in the first 30 minutes but as they got settled and I was just listening to it hum it was just heaven! Awesome job, man. Congratulations!

Thank you! It deff felt great! I was nervous as hell! First engine I've ever messed with. My heart sunk at first with the couple problems mentioned, and it wouldnt start. But was a giddy school girl when she came to life! lol

Got the drivers quarter buttoned up today. Pretty happy how it turned out. Still has more of an edge showing, but better then it was. Used a bit more filler primer on this side. This side was quite a bit more rough. Got some trash in the primer to sand out, and might add a touch of spot putty in a couple spots.

I have a gallon of the paint coming to do inside the trunk. Going with single stage acrylic urethane from restoration shop, through tcp global.

Going with jet black gloss, and Dodge spinnaker white.

Restoration Shop Paint

ordered some Allmetal for a couple pin holes in one corner of the trunk lid, and a couple in the metal extensions above the tail lights. These would be difficult to make new patches for...

Have a new trunk weatherstrip coming too. Hopefully trunk will be done soon, then on to the body.

IMG_0395.JPG

IMG_0396.JPG

'73 440 bored 40 over.
346 Heads shaved 10thous with a valve job, and matching comp cam valve train installed. Comp cam xe256H cam, with double rolling timing chain. Melling high volume oil pump. Topped with a eddy 1406 carb. Stock intake, and exhaust manifolds in place...

Sounds really stout running in the vid...

Restoration Shop Paint

Same paint as on my car. SS in the jambs.trunk BB/CC on the body. No complaints.

Thanks!

Nothing that will keep up with your new toy! lol here's the thread on it-

Help me spend some $$

'73 440 bored 40 over.

Thank you! It deff felt great! I was nervous as hell! First engine I've ever messed with. My heart sunk at first with the couple problems mentioned, and it wouldnt start. But was a giddy school girl when she came to life! lol
Just for a point of reference, first "real" motor I built and fired I neglected to hook up any exhaust behind the manifolds... x+y = no back pressure x about 15 minutes at 2500 rpm = MANIFOLDS GLOWING RED. The choice then was to run it until it melted or shut it off and warp the hell out of the valves... I opted for the latter and oddly, nothing went wrong. Hooked up a couple of left over lengths of tube and it fired right off and ran for 100,000 miles before it's next rebuild... kind of found the golden horse shoe that had been crammed up my *** on that one.

Tail light extensions stripped down, as well as the bad spot on the trunk lid. Found quite a bit more rust then remembered. These areas always bulbled up. Afraid to cut the bad out, as I'm not sure if I can replicate, or make look decent.

I treated em with the rust bullet metal blast after wire wheeling the snot out of em. First layer of all metal is drying right now.

Also noticed my first hiccup. Trans is seaping out a little fluid from the dipstick hole. Have a little puddle forming. Need to crawl under her soon and figure that out. Its a brand new tube from hughs. Has a big rubber grommet on the end, as opposed to the factory O ring.

IMG_0403.JPG

IMG_0404.JPG

IMG_0405.JPG

Have a little puddle forming. Need to crawl under her soon and figure that out. Its a brand new tube from hughs. Has a big rubber grommet on the end, as opposed to the factory O ring.
Could be something as simple as an overfill.

Could be something as simple as an overfill.

It would be nice, but don't know if I'll get off that easy. I put 9 quarts in... The puddle doesn't seem to have grown anymore though... Just the base of the dipstick is wet. Idk

Trunk lid, and Dutchman panel are stripped, and primed. Also finished the extension up. That all metal is pretty nice! I like it. A few of the holes were too much though. I got ballsy and spot welded a few shut. It's not perfect, but that's the best part. Not supposed to be. At least I have an excuse lol.

Hoping to lay some paint down on the underside of the trunk lid, and trunk gutter this weekend.

IMG_0410.JPG

IMG_0411.JPG

IMG_0412.JPG

IMG_0414.JPG

IMG_0415.JPG

IMG_0416.JPG

So what is the plan for making it not look like new paint on the outside?

Nothing certain yet. I'm sure the FL sun will do a damn good job by itself after a year or so lol. Probably some sand paper, and a few cans of satin/flat paint will help. Maybe some simulated dirt..

I know this....

Now this could work!!

Hey Zac, if this is how it's done let me know I will ride shotgun to help you out.

Car was in THE mall back in 2010 before it was torn down. Got pics somewhere. I was happier then hell to get it in there!

This restoration shop paint is nice!! First time painting the car with actual automotive paint ahaha. (I know don't beat me). Too bad I'm gonna have to weather it down. I used good old rattle cans the first time. Then used gallons of rustoleum last time. Was actually pretty happy with the rustoleum last time. Can deff tell a difference now though.

Think I might be able to get away with what's left of the gallon for the rest of the car. Was planning on getting another gallon for it. Still more the 3/4 left of what I have

IMG_0418.JPG

IMG_0419.JPG

IMG_0420.JPG

IMG_0421.JPG

New weather stripping installed, along with new decal, and light re mounted.

Dropped the gas tank to install the filler neck. All hooked up and running off of it now. Gas gauge not budging though. Not sure if it's new sender, or something going on with the wiring. A job for another day...

IMG_0423.JPG

IMG_0424.JPG

Back