1962 chrysler 300

You're very lucky, that's a real gem!

Hi Guys,

new owner of 62' chrysler 300. I need so much information on restoration, but specifically was wondering about stock paint/chroming information for underhood/suspension etc. Thanks!

I've got the Newport version of this car. Same thing. Your car looks very nice. Congrats. Most of your car has stainless for the trim. The headlight bezels, grill surround, turn signal bezels & tail light bezels, bumpers, mirrors, and dash bright work are chrome. It looks like your car has it's stock paint on it. The frame and suspension are painted a matte black, not gloss. I've been warned by other to not powder coat the suspension parts as rust helps to hold our cars together...really that means that powder coated parts are slick and you have a hard time keeping the bolts tight if they are powder coated and not painted. Your car is painted the same under the hood as the body. No black under the hood like a Chevy. Unless you are going to paint the whole car black. Another great group of people to get to know and ask questions to is http://groups.google.com/group/1962to1965mopars?hl=en

Congrats again
Eric

Classic! Welcome aboard. I had to see it again.
2015-03-21_10-43-57_776.jpg

2015-03-21_10-43-57_776.jpg

Thanks Eric, great information. Do you recommend any parts places that cater specifically to the early C bodies? I'm having a hard time finding a good suspension rebuilding package.

Time for this Ole Dawg to jump in catnip...lol, now that'z cool IMO. You must differentiate chrome on steel and chrome on Pot Metal and then Stainless Steal to figure out which way to jump. Your bumpers on the '62 are the only thing that's chrome on steal. Your Head lite, Tail lite bezels, and Marker lite bezels are ALL pot metal and the single filament marker lite's have the bulb sockets "swagged" into the housings.(read here that it'll require some retro fitting and rewiring after re-plating) The side spears are Stainless(but the 300 Bezels on those side spears are pot metal) and the rain gutter cap if you have them are also S.S. Your steering wheel alone will run close to $1000 to have it re-done. My suggestion would be to buy a $5 packet of 4 minute set time JB-Weld, stuff the gaps, rat tail+ half round it smooth and rattle can it Gloss Black and you'll be happy and only you and the Lord will ever know in your life time. I suspect that you have a 300 sport there and not a 300H.(If it were an H it would be a 413 and have dual quads north 'n south sitting on it instead of ah 383 single 4 bbl.) No big deal, it only matters when you try to recover as much as you can on what you've invested. BTW, The 300 side medallions and marker lite lenses in Clear or Amber can be had from our good friend DesotoGeorge some where in the out back north of Brisbaine, Queensland, Au. Under hood and under dash wiring can be had from our friend Greg Liggatt just down the road from you in Napanee. Ont.Ca. If you need it, P.M me and I'll hook you up with Greg. He's primarily a forward look guy but the '61s and '62s are almost identical except for the bulkhead connector on the '62. My pecker fingerz are killin' me, time to rest, Jer

Wow. Now we're getting somewhere! Great information from everyone. Thanks....

Yeah, I've heard those steering wheels can be pricey to have restored. It will be interesting to see how far I'll take the car. I plan to drop in a mild 440, headers, have the trans done if necessary, maybe a slightly deeper gear in back and brakes to make sure she's safe. Probably not discs at this point. Beef up the suspension, replace carpet but headliner and bench seats are good....

Aesthetically, I like a sleeper Bob Mosher treatment..I want to paint it that Jeep Anvil Gray with black steel wheels and bias tires.

I bought the car for for 4k. Not too bad considering the minimal bodywork/interior work that will have to be done. It would be easy to drop 20k into a car like this. Would probably never be able to get that out of it though..

Appreciate it. Love your Fury. I really like these cars as well as 65' Coronet and all B bodies through 1965.

Balderdash11111111111111, Bias ply tirez????????????? PAHLEEZ tell us you've not been sniffin' airplane glue. You've just been away from those square bottom bias ply clunker, thumperz too long. You jes fergot how bad they really were didn'tcha???????????

Back