1965 727 Trans kickdown cable

Catfish-65

Reaction score
When the gas peddle is push down should the trans linkage begin to travel back at the same time or should there be a delay before it starts to move, when I kick it down when driving it does not seem to go far enough to engage the passing gear, info would be great,, Dave (Catfish65)

The trans linkage should travel at the same time. When the carb is wide open so should be the transmission.

That slot is there for one reason, and technically has nothing to do with the actual kickdown function of the linkage.

The slot allows the throttle to close should some other crazy failure occur that prevents the kickdown linkage from returning to the idle position, such as something jamming in the trans valve body or perhaps a stick from the road (or trail) should somehow get caught in the linkage and keep you at Wide Open Throttle. Yeehaw!

This might help you.

upload_2021-7-5_13-15-46.png

upload_2021-7-5_13-16-33.png

I always start with the pin on the carb at the back of the slot. I like a little firmer and higher rpm shift so I usually end up preloading the linkage a bit at the pin.

Back