1965 Monaco Headliner removal.

73 suburban

Reaction score
I am wanting to remove the original headliner in my 1965 Monaco, so I can get the seams resewn. But am unsure how the chrome trim above the windows comes out. Any one out there tackled the 1965 C body 2 doors before?
Randy

You have a lot of work ahead, when I tore down a 65 polara it was all the trim around door window and 1/4 window. I can be done but may e a fish hook and color match tread might be easier IMO

My upholstery guy wouldn't do it on my '66 unless I removed the front and back glass.
Very nerve wracking when rubber for the back glass is unobtanium...

Oh man, it's really not that hard, I was able to do it. Heck, I even got the wife to give me a 10 minute sewing lesson and I made a new headliner. (Only a couple little wrinkles, too.) It has been a loooong time since I did it, think that was around 78 or 79, so I don't remember the details of how it came apart and the car is sitting in a garage at -22F right now so I'm not gonna go refresh my memory tonight. Did have to pull the rear seat to get the sail panels out for access to the rear of the sides, think that was the hardest part. Keep in mind though I was a lot younger and a little less smart than nowadays - although I ain't too bright yet according to some.
Mike

I am wanting to remove the original headliner in my 1965 Monaco, so I can get the seams resewn. But am unsure how the chrome trim above the windows comes out. Any one out there tackled the 1965 C body 2 doors before?
Randy

If I remember correctly, there are screws under the weatherstrip.

and watch the clips that hold the headliner bows. If you break any I have a couple spares somewhere in my shop. They are metal. And I believe that a pair of them are a tad longer than the rest, so watch where that pair goes for reinstall.

Last edited:
Back