1965 New Yorker Air Cleaner to Hood Clearance

JGC403

Reaction score
I didn't think of doing this before disassembling the car. We are replacing the 413 that is in the New Yorker with a built 440 goal is for 500hp an 500tq. I know there wasn't much space between the hood and air cleaner stock, does anyone know approximately how much that is?

Thanks,

Just went through this. Wad up a loose ball of Aluminum foil,put it on the Air cleaner and close the hood. Open and measure. I wanted to put in a Edelbrock Performer RPM on my 440 Stroker build. My calculations said it would fit, barely with the stock dual snorkel air cleaner and drop air cleaner base. Then I was asked "How old are your motor mounts and do you plan to replace them?" The answer was yes and all bets were off. No Eddy for me.
This is for my 69 Fury III.

I would do that, but engine and the front sub-frame along with all of the sheet metal isn't on the car anymore.

Thats why I asked for someone who has done the aluminum ball trick what they came up with for the hood clearance.

Ahh sorry. What do you want to put in and how much higher is it than stock?
If I remember correctly I had 1 3/4 inches of clearance the way she sat. I have heard that 66 to 68 Fury's had more clearance than 69 on. I'm sure someone with your year /model car can run out to their garage to get the info you need.

I was looking at the Edelbrock Torker II or the Holley Street Dominator both are about 1.375" taller than stock.

The 440 Holley Street Dominator is what I settled on for my mild stroker 505 build for the same reason. I will say though the Holley intake is really BUTT UGLY with the logo and such. At least to me. Don't like the boy racer vibe. I am going to modify it to look better.

Last edited:
Stock

s-l1600.jpg

With the cutout like what this guy did.

6c5a4f2e-17f3-4ce3-9a79-d40bf7ea761e-jpeg.jpg

Last edited:
Yea I know what you mean, not the nicest looking manifold out there in stock form. I don't really like the lump of metal on the back either for the EGR or the boss on the side of the manifold for the mechanical choke spring. Probably could mill all of that off and save a couple pounds.

Yes I figure the egr crap and the choke crap won't be seen under my dual snorkel air cleaner but that Holley Logo has got to go. I also decided on a 800cfm Edelbrock AVS2 with the annular primary venturis to help with single plane in the lower part throttle area. I actually just got the carb today.

15760233942051717061495103230984.jpg

I have heard the regular Performer is not a lot better than some stock intakes. But I do know it is much lower in height than the Performer RPM. I was on FBBO talking about this and this is what I remember being said. Hopefully some guys here will chime in and set us both straight.

Back