1965 New Yorker- new springs for towing

Carl K

Reaction score
I had some time last weekend to install the new springs I had purchased from ESPO (Springs and Things). The originals on my '65 New Yorker were flat, in fact they had reverse curvature when the gas tank was full. Note this is without the trailer attached!

springs01.JPG

Here's how the rear wheels looked in the wheel arches.

springs02.JPG

Since I'm towing with this car, I ordered the "heavy duty" springs (per the towing package) with an extra 1" of lift. I ordered new bushings from ESPO and new U-bolts and nuts from Mancini. Spring removal was straightforward, since this car was kept indoors, it wasn't rusty. The only hiccup was that someone had torched off the extra length of the previous u-bolts (which were not the original style).

axles06.JPG

This took some extra grunt to remove the nuts.

Unloaded, the new springs don't look much different from the old, but when I stand on the old springs, there's a lot of slop in the leaves. The spring pack is thicker overall, and each leaf is thicker as well.

rearsprings02.JPG

Here's an after shot, showing the springs curving the "correct" way!

rearsprings06.JPG
rearsprings04.JPG

I gained about 2" of extra lift in the back. It'll be interesting to see how much I have to adjust my trailer hitch. I'll update with some new photos when that happens.

rearsprings03.JPG

-Carl

I have to do this to my Imperial soon but I'm not towing anything And don't want to gain that much height. I can relate when you say how easily the hardware is to remove on a car that never rusted. Nice work and btw, Your car makes me drool.

A lot of leaf spring replacements going on lately. Welcome to the club.

I think ESPO has done well by FCBO. And Vise-versa.

The service from ESPO was great. Laura was a big help and answered all my questions.

Stan, I'm glad you're back.

i chatted with laura today after reading this post. i have not purchased yet, but so far they have been very cool to deal with, and have a decent price. i had a quote in just a few minutes.

thats all i got.

i was sure to drop a FCBO bomb while chatting with them :)

!

- saylor

Laura is very nice. She was very helpful when I bought my springs last...spring. It was backbreaking work to replace but it was worth it.

I ended up adding an extra leaf to my original springs on the Admiral, so will not be using the new set I bought from St Louis springs.
Would like to have $200.00 for the pair, can deliver to Carlisle.

Admiral springs.JPG

refugio.jpg

I'm very pleased with the new, heavy duty 1" lift springs. With the load-leveling hitch, the car is level and the ride is good. The drive is much more comfortable than with the pickup truck we used to use.

Here's a picture from our latest adventure.

Carl K.

Looks great Carl, way to go...... I hope you checked out our vintage trailer ralley post, lots of nice air streams.....

View attachment 84016

I'm very pleased with the new, heavy duty 1" lift springs. With the load-leveling hitch, the car is level and the ride is good. The drive is much more comfortable than with the pickup truck we used to use.

Here's a picture from our latest adventure.

Carl K.
What a great shot. That is a keeper for my great c-body pictures.

That's awesome! I just ordered new bushings for my '68 from Rock Auto, and will be swapping the springs for another used set that are still in better shape than what I have. I spoke with Laura at ESPO a while ago but couldn't bring myself to unload the money gun. I'm stretched too thin at the moment. :(

Back