1966 New Yorker heat control method?

Len Z

Reaction score
My '66 NY'er has a problem with the heat being on always. The temp control lever moves like it isnt connected to anything. Is the heat temp controlled by a valve on the heat hose lines or is it a door that blocks off the heater core?

There is a homemade valve on the heater hoses near the motor but that is stuck open.
Am i better off using block offs at the water pump or is it a door i can move or wire shut?

The A/C seems to be charged , but the fan is slow in the dash. That's my next job, either lubing it or replacing it.

I use one of these under the hood to manually turn on or off the heater core at least for now.
My valve was missing completely when I got the car.

20160625_204712 (1).jpg

20160625_204435.jpg

If you use them once in a while they are fine. If you don't ever use it it will eventually freeze up. At least one I used years ago on my Omni glhs did freeze up. I have never had one leak. The one on my Fury works fine. Get a couple just to have a spare as they are cheap enough. They work good.

Last edited:
Is it factory AC or an add on?

The non AC cars used a damper on the heater box to route the air through it around the heater core. They did not have a valve underhood

I am not sure about factory AC cars, but I think they are the same.

Gorgeous isn't it? It was temporary that I cobbled together to get the heat off last year. Haven't gotten around to finding the correct vacuum controlled valve. I then found out they are hard to find. Anyone got one for sale?

Last edited:
Thanks for that but mine is vacuum operated. I have no linkage and it is supposed to be under the hood on the passenger fender well. If you look at my pic next to the manual valve is a plugged vacuum line. That is what controls it.

I'm not exactly sure where it mounts at on a 66, but on my 68 the valve is mounted in the firewall on the passenger side below the blower motor. The heater hose goes to it first and then loops up to the heater core. The cable that operates it runs across the top of the heater box to the area above the passengers right foot inside where it controls the valve.

Like this I believe. Inlets and outlets are different sized heater hose and I had to get adapters to cobble it together. You can see the vacuum line going to the valve.

MightyMopar002_zpsf3afee7f.jpg

Like this I believe. Inlets and outlets are different sized heater hose and I had to get adapters to cobble it together. You can see the vacuum line going to the valve.

View attachment 128283
No no no no no.
69+ had heater valves mounted on the inner fender.
Pre-69 had heater valves nounted on the lower passenger side of the firewall.
It was controlled by a cable from the dash control that ran to a lever on top of the heater box and then to the heater valve.
The heater valve functioned mostly as an On/Off valve and the lever on top of the heater box that moved a door that modulated the heat.

Last edited:
Maybe I am misunderstanding you Stan . Mine is a 69 and had AC unless you are talking about the OP's car which is a 66.

Last edited:
My '66 Newport factory a/c car is as the picture, on the firewall behind the rh exhaust manifold area, same as my 67 Newport, also. Probably the same for '65-'68 factory a/c cars. My '70 Monaco has a vacuum operated valve near the rh fender brace area, as the '69 picture generally indicates. The originals had a big vacuum area on top with the hoses going through a redish lower area.

When I replaced it with one of the smaller reservoir models, at certain vacuum levels the vacuum control in the dash would vibrate as long as the particular vac level was happening. A slight move to more or less heat normally stopped the sound. The smaller vacuum area of the aftermarket valve was apparently the culprit as the larger one had enough damping area to prevent the resonance.

With ANYTHING with rubber seals, always seek out NEW rather than NOS, for the best longevity. The '55 Chevy used a similar valve as the '65-'68 Chryslers did, seems like. The capillary tube was supposed to be "an automatic adjustment" so you wouldn't need to keep moving the lever for "more" or "less" heat for a given valve position, as I understand it.

The '72 Chrysler a/c cars (not AutoTemp) use a cable to activate their water valve. On the rh fender skirt. The AutoTemp control was also used on some '70s Mercedes cars, so they are still around, too (at least about 10 years ago). Looks just like the Chrysler part, too!

On the '72 cars, possibly from '69-'73, the a/c compressor is set-up to run when the control button is "OFF". There is also a very low fan speed. This is supposed to keep fog off of the windshield or something like that. Not sure of its effectiveness.

As you move the heat lever to the right, you can feel and hear a slight "click", that's the compressor switch going to "off". The cable is a two-piece cable, too!

With the lower compression and power of the '72 engines, having the a/c compressor run all of the time was an added drain on performance and fuel economy! Many police depts. and such toggle-switched the a/c compressor so they could turn it off "in pursuit". You can achieve the same thing (at least on the '72 Chryslers) by moving the "HEAT" lever to just past the click, then manually readjust the heater water valve to "OFF" on the cable position. The level will show about 1/2 heat, but the valve is closed. Looks kind of strange, but works. Still enough heater power for moderately-cold weather. The cable adjustment is a "slip fit", so if somebody pushed the "HEAT" lever back to the "cold" position, the cable would slip in the fitting, not hurting anything, except putting things back like they were (compressor running all of the time when "OFF").

ALSO, the heater floor output is biased toward the driver's side, with less to the passenger side. You can fix this with a piece of masking tape! Just block off 1/2 of the output nozzle on the lh side and the blocked air will then go to the rh side . . . makes the output pretty even that way! Kept my mother happy and not complaining about being too cold on her side of the car!

CBODY67

Last edited:
Maybe I am misunderstanding you Stan . Mine is a 69 and had AC unless you are talking about the OP's car which is a 66.
I'm the one probably mixed up. I was talking about the 66.

My '66 NY'er has a problem with the heat being on always. The temp control lever moves like it isnt connected to anything.

Last edited:
Back