1967 Imperial 727 shifting late

Rdtreur

Reaction score
hi guys, I think the shifting in my 1967 imperial is not how it should be. It feels like it is keeping in gear to long before it up-shifts when i’m driving normal. I’m not familiair with the 727 but it doesn’t feel good.
I will replace the filter and fluid soon but do I need to adjust the bands while i got the pan off?
Many Thanks, Ramon

Are the shifts smooth?

Look at the throttle linkage to the trans adjustment in your FSM. Sometimes mistakenly called the "kickdown" linkage".

Many years ago, when I went through Chrysler's mechanics school it was explained to me that on driving the vehicle, under very slight acceleration, the trans should shift from first to second at 14 mph, second to high at 28 mph. If your car is close leave it alone.
On the other hand if it is shifting very late, check your throttle linkage adjustment, and if still doing it take it to a good shop and have the governor inspected.

Good advice, that would have been my first suggestion.

Thanks guys, great info once again:) . I wil look into the throttle linkage. I hope this solves my late shifting trans.

As I recall from my '66 Chrysler service manual, the adjustment on the kickdown linkage goes something like this.

With the carb at base hot idle, adjust the slotted end of the linkage (after removing any retention devices from the carb throttle linkage stud) to just touch the stud itself. THEN add two full turns of preload (lengthen the adjustment) and then reinstall.

IF this just started, then the linkage is probably fine as is. Just how "late" is the shift into 3rd gear? To gain a little better acceleration, I added 2 full turns MORE preload to the '66 Newport and that raised the part throttle shift points a few mph, which allowed more acceleration for a given throttle input, in normal driving. Min-throttle upshift into 3rd was right at 30mph.

UNLESS the trans is slipping, NO NEED to even touch the band adjustment. The old-line Chrysler mechanic at the local dealership, when I asked him the same question years ago, told me that. He said he'd tried running them "loose" and "tight", with no difference in how things acted. So, if it's not slipping, don't touch it. IF it's slipping, it needs to be replaced. But I suspect it's not or you would have mentioned that possibility.

Do a fluid/filter change and use quality atf (Dexron III equivalent as that's what Chrysler superceeded the old Type A, Suffix A trans fluid spec to in '68), or you can use the Ford Type F-spec atf, too. But the Dexron III equivalent works just fine. I'm not sure where Chrysler's atf specs or OR which one might work in the older 727s. The newer fluids are so "friction modified" to work with lock-up converters (although the Dexron III would do this too), but the newer vehicles modulate the converter lock-up in ways we didn't imagine back then.

What other automatic trans have you been around? Just curious.

CBODY67

Thank for the info. I just got this ‘67 Imperial and only drove a coulpe hunderd Miles in it.
My previous cars got th350/th400 or C6 transmissions

image.jpg
Finally I got the time to look into the late shifting problem.
The problem is , like you guys told me, in the throttle linkage. It seems that the return spring is missing. Nr 13 on the photo.
Gravity is pulling the linkage down so the trans thinks the throttle is half open;-).
Now hunting for a new spring:)

View attachment 197199 Finally I got the time to look into the late shifting problem.
The problem is , like you guys told me, in the throttle linkage. It seems that the return spring is missing. Nr 13 on the photo.
Gravity is pulling the linkage down so the trans thinks the throttle is half open;-).
Now hunting for a new spring:)
As stated earlier, get a return spring on it now. One that does not have a lot of tension will work. Make sure it has enough travel in length. I have used a universal one that you can get from any auto parts store.

As stated earlier, get a return spring on it now. One that does not have a lot of tension will work. Make sure it has enough travel in length. I have used a universal one that you can get from any auto parts store.

Today I got I return spring but it is a firm one so I installed it in a differant location. So far it works but can it do any harm?
Oh, before you guys ask, it is a new card with propane conversion to save fuel cost here in the Netherlands;-)
F11105C6-4270-4FBD-B577-5BCA73FF8F5C.jpeg
4C3B77B9-273F-48E2-8E90-F6389C114A6C.jpeg

Today I got I return spring but it is a firm one so I installed it in a differant location. So far it works but can it do any harm?
Oh, before you guys ask, it is a new card with propane conversion to save fuel cost here in the Netherlands;-)
View attachment 197236 View attachment 197237

You do have some misalignment with the throttle cable, and the linkage to the transmission. Glad you posted pictures, they say a thousand words. Edelbrock makes an adapter for aftermarket carburetors to bring the Chrysler linkage in line. You can find it at any place that deals with them, and it is not expensive. You do want full travel on the throttle linkage so you have to relocate the return spring. You should have a stud on your old carburetor to install the cable and linkage, used with the adapter will bring the system into it's correct alignment.

You do have some misalignment with the throttle cable, and the linkage to the transmission. Glad you posted pictures, they say a thousand words. Edelbrock makes an adapter for aftermarket carburetors to bring the Chrysler linkage in line. You can find it at any place that deals with them, and it is not expensive. You do want full travel on the throttle linkage so you have to relocate the return spring. You should have a stud on your old carburetor to install the cable and linkage, used with the adapter will bring the system into it's correct alignment.

Thanks for that info. Do you have a edelbrock part#? And any photo’s of a setup with aftermarket carb would be great. It’s hard to get the correct parts and info here in the Netherlands so your help is great:)

Thanks for that info. Do you have a edelbrock part#? And any photo’s of a setup with aftermarket carb would be great. It’s hard to get the correct parts and info here in the Netherlands so your help is great:)
Here is a link to the Edelbrock site. Performance Carburetors and Accessories - Throttle Linkage Accessories - Edelbrock, LLC. Part number is 1481.
I do not have pictures of the adapter installed, I have included a picture of my factory linkage on my 1966 Chrysler 300. Hope it helps.

1966 300 (10).jpg

I see that you got the spring, just like my setup, on the front of the linkage, towards the front of the car. My shop manual showing a spring (13) from the stud towards the rear/firewall direction ... is a spring to the front not giving any problems?

I see that you got the spring, just like my setup, on the front of the linkage, towards the front of the car. My shop manual showing a spring (13) from the stud towards the rear/firewall direction ... is a spring to the front not giving any problems?
In my picture their is a hole for the spring. Your end does not have it. Looks like you have an attachment point to the rear of the arm. The spring will go from that point to the stud. The way it is now will not let the linkage have the correct travel. Also with the engine at idle speed the linkage needs to be all the way forward in the slot.

Back