1967 Imperial Auto Pilot help

Matt Finnie

Reaction score
Hi all, i have been working to get my auto pilot working on the 67 Imperial however, i have had no luck, i have rewired it to she shop manual and tested the power swich and brake switch both work fine, i have tested my rewire and i get power to all that i should when i should under the hood. i have had problems with my drive unit, upon disassembly i found a broken gear, the motor had a burned out coil, and the switch and relay contacts had burnt out causing the plastic housing to melt a little. i have repaired the gear, rewound the motor and repaired the switch and relay housing and contacts, all of these work perfectly now, the thing i am now stuck on is the internal wiring of the unit, does anyone know of a repair manual or have any pictures of a unit with the cover off?
any help will be hugely appreciated
attached is a picture of the type of unit i have.
many thanks
Matt

DSC08981_zpse3f98c13.jpg

Mine doesn't work either and I haven't attempted to get after it yet although I swear that I've felt feedback on the gas pedal a couple of times while messing with it while driving. The cover comes off easy enough, I have done that and it looked spotless inside.

Mine doesn't work either and I haven't attempted to get after it yet although I swear that I've felt feedback on the gas pedal a couple of times while messing with it while driving. The cover comes off easy enough, I have done that and it looked spotless inside.
It is such a pain, its a beautifuly designed piece of kit. if you have felt feedback in the pedal i shouldnt think there is much wrong with yours, maybe dirty contacts? or i did have issues with my motor being stiff after i rebuilt it and it sometimes needed a hand to start spinning (maybe a bump in the road could do this?) i disassembled it again applied grease to the armiture where it passes the bearings and made sure the aft bearing was ligned up as central as possible when installed.
You didnt happen to take any pictures while your cover was off did you?

No but seriously, 3 screws and it's off.

Back