1967 Newport project on Air

Without chopping, Model Ts and As just look Retarded. But Chopping a C or any post 55 car is just beyond wrong IMO.

Agreed! Some pre-55's shouldn't be chopped. It's not something that works on all cars.
Save them any way you can is the way I think about it but I do like the looks of a slabbie on the down low.:icon_fU:

That's along time to wait! What's the newports story?

No real story. My father is a big body mopar fan. Never been into the whole go fast cars. He had a 48 Plymouth and a 56 plymouth savoy when I was a kid. He has 2 68 furys too. Newport was just sitting and when I was in school I just got it running and it went from there. Last year I decided too just bag it and put it back on the road.

No real story. My father is a big body mopar fan. Never been into the whole go fast cars. He had a 48 Plymouth and a 56 plymouth savoy when I was a kid. He has 2 68 furys too. Newport was just sitting and when I was in school I just got it running and it went from there. Last year I decided too just bag it and put it back on the road.
Nice either way. My hats off to you for tackling it!My big hold up (other than cheese) is I'd like another stub frame and another set of lca's so I can save the originals from modification. A back up so to speak. The upper bag mounts looked stamped, what are they from?

Nice either way. My hats off to you for tackling it!My big hold up (other than cheese) is I'd like another stub frame and another set of lca's so I can save the originals from modification. A back up so to speak. The upper bag mounts looked stamped, what are they from?

I'm not sure what you mean by the upper bag mount looks stamp. Nothing is from another car all Is just metal fab work welding and grinding. What really got me started was I found a plasma cutter on CL for 400$ new. Had to try it out and now I have a 67 Newport on bags.

image.png
For some reason at 1st glance the upper mount looked stamped. At closer inspection I can see it's not. It's some good fabrication skills. Nice job!!

View attachment 69930 For some reason at 1st glance the upper mount looked stamped. At closer inspection I can see it's not. It's some good fabrication skills. Nice job!!

Thats what I thought you were talking about.

I started with cutting everything off to get to just frame. Cut out half the frame for the bag to clear. Heated the frame on the inside of the frame to push it out for welding of the top bag mount. The metal that was cut out of the frame was used to shape the new bag mount into the frame. I hope I'm explaining it right. Inside the frame is 1/4" steel welded back in for more support (can't have to much) specially in the k member to frame.

The shock I did twice. First time it stuck out and was hitting the tire when dropped and tried to turn. So "light bulb" just use this fancy dancy plasma cutter and flush it in the frame. Used sch40 pipe tacked it in cut it in half with the frame. Welded it in. Perfect. Tires turn when dropped all the way down. I hope this all makes sense.

I'm following ya! Thanks for taking the time to explain Just make sure you keep the pics coming! Another guy I ran across we on facebook bagged his 67 300(I think) in a similar way. Cutting out the bump stop and rebuilding that part of the frame with some pipe so the bag will fit. Im liking it!

Back