1967 Newport radio

Indy Newport

Reaction score
Ok I got this vehicle as a roller and have gotten it running and moving but not road ready yet. I am having a problem getting it to charge the battery even with a new alternator, any thoughts would be appreciated. I also can not figure out how to turn the radio on, or if it is even works once again any help would be appreciated.

The radio should turn on with the "VOL" thumbwheel. Should be a notch/click when rolling it all the way upward? With rolling downward being increased volume. Check the fuses and also that there is an operational speaker in place.

Check for a downloadable '67 or '68 Chrysler service manual at www.mymopar.com

The battery will not charge or will not hold a charge after it's been on a charger? Trying to get the battery charged just by using the vehicle's alternator can take a long time and a lot of gas for it to happen.

If the battery (that came with the car?) might not desire to "charge", at first, put it on an automatic-controlled charger, at the minimum setting for an hour or so. If the battery's been discharged for a long while, it might take a while to get it to take a charge. Hopefully, with the little charge for an hour or so, it'll "decide" to take a charge and the automatic-regulated charger will take over. Make sure to do this where there is active air circulation! OUTSIDE. It might take a few attempted-charge periods for it to "come back", if it's going to.

Once the battery seems to have some propensity to take a charge, THEN the alternator can take over with the engine running, but it's best to start with fully-charged (or at least mostly-charged) battery for the alternator to work as it should. Providing the voltage regulator will let it. One of our members sells quality electronic voltage regulators, if you might need one. Making sure the battery terminals posts and the similar cable ends are clean is important! Or with the charger cables, to make sure they break through the surface oxidation on the terminal posts.

If the charger will charge the battery, but only to a certain point, no matter how long the charger stays on, then it's probably got a bad cell.

From my experiences,
CBODY67

Sorry I was not very specific about the charging problem. I have a new battery and did put it on a charger before installing it in my 1967 Newport. I can not get the alternator to put out any charge to the battery. I have a wiring diagram that shows the field wire being green and it is connected properly. I also have the battery wire connected properly but still no charge. So I guess my next thought is the regulator, how do I test it?

Just for reference, you do have a battery without an "F" in the size description? As "Group 24" and not "Group 24F"? Just to make sure, no more, no less. With the "-" post nearest the engine and the negative cable attaching to the front intake manifold bolt? Just to make sure, no more, no less. And the seller of the alternator has checked it for output? Charging the battery "in" or "removed from" the vehicle?

The factory service manual describes how to check the regulator. It has a set of points in it, similar to ignition points, which might be corroded or such. Pictures in the service manual. A volt meter will probably be needed.

Thanks,
CBODY67

Thanks and I did charge the new battery out of the vehicle but I have charged batteries in their vehicle before. It has been a project over the last few years.

Back