NOT MINE 1967 Plymouth Fury VIP 383 Commando HP Hardtop Sedan Only 17K Miles - $55,000 (Westchester, New York)

marty mopar

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Tempe AZ (hotter than a turd on a frypan)
1967 Plymouth Fury VIP 383 Commando HP Hardtop Sedan Only 17K Miles...

This is my 1967 PLYMOUTH FURY VIP 383 Commando HP Hardtop Sedan - Elite Survivor.

Elite Survivors are the most intrinsically valuable old cars of all. The real thing. In a class by themselves. The market is awakening to their value over megadollar counterfeit restorations. These aren’t going to get any cheaper because they cannot be duplicated at any cost.

383/325 HP H-Code engine (Big Block V8)

*It is an absolute must that you see an additional 136 excellent photos and videos of the car with many captions and descriptions here: FOR SALE: 1967 Plymouth Fury VIP Hardtop 383 Commando H-Code. (@383vip) • Instagram photos and videos You may not have access to that page if you don't have an Instagram account, or if you're not signed in. I suggest signing up with a little b.s. account in order to see the extra photos and videos. You can always cancel it later.

image.jpeg.c7890b31035fd496748715560eb5e7df.jpeg

That's some great novel of an ad! Details are good when selling a car but when it becomes a dissertation I quickly lose interest.

Are you nuts? This is just a short note about his car.

It is less than War and Peace. 1,225 pages (I think)

I recommend 3 cups of coffee, 2 cigars and a kilo of sugar before you start.

So here we go with Mr Babble on:

This is my 1967 PLYMOUTH FURY VIP 383 Commando HP Hardtop Sedan - Elite Survivor.

Elite Survivors are the most intrinsically valuable old cars of all. The real thing. In a class by themselves. The market is awakening to their value over megadollar counterfeit restorations. These aren’t going to get any cheaper because they cannot be duplicated at any cost.

383/325 HP H-Code engine (Big Block V8)

*It is an absolute must that you see an additional 136 excellent photos and videos of the car with many captions and descriptions here: FOR SALE: 1967 Plymouth Fury VIP Hardtop 383 Commando H-Code. (@383vip) • Instagram photos and videos You may not have access to that page if you don't have an Instagram account, or if you're not signed in. I suggest signing up with a little b.s. account in order to see the extra photos and videos. You can always cancel it later.

For sale is my beautiful 383 Commando H-Code powered 1967 Plymouth Fury VIP hardtop sedan. Driven only 17k miles since new, this is one of the nicest C-body MoPars out there. The car has been home-garaged everyday for its entire life. It has not been restored or modified in any way. Never driven in snow and only caught in the rain a handful of times, so there is no rust or corrosion anywhere inside, outside or underside. It is beyond survivor class. I acquired this car from the original owner’s family in 2015 when it had just 14K original miles on the odometer. In 1967 it was ordered new from Carl Mozingo Auto Sales in Newton Falls, Ohio. It served mainly as the family church-going car, and had never left Newton Falls or even been driven on the highway. When the head of house died just a few years after purchase, his widow took it off the road, covered it with blankets, and shrined the car to a dry dark space in their garage. No one else was allowed to go near the car. Fortunately, for the years to follow, she would routinely start the car every couple of months to keep the works supple and lubricated.

I keep the car in a heated private garage on a private family property in Westchester, New York. I drive it about 20 miles consistently, once a month, all year round, except days when it is raining, snowing, or there is salt on the roads. I have taken her on trips up to 200 miles without an issue. She loves to be driven. I have changed the oil and oil filter several times since taking ownership. I use quality oil and filters every time.

The Plymouth VIP was top of the line for the Fury, right above the Sport Fury. In my opinion, the Plymouth Fury was a MoPar styling masterpiece. The beautiful body lines and immaculate dark metallic racing green factory lacquer paint make this an extraordinary specimen.

Engine: The original owner ordered this car with the optional high performance big block 383 Commando 4 bbl as the power plant, and I’m so glad he did. Free breathing and bulletproof, it’s rated at 325 horsepower with 425 ft lbs torque, a 10:1 compression ratio, and a mere curb weight of 3705 lbs, making this 4 door hardtop one badass gentleman’s muscle car. This original factory engine is a real H-code. In 1967-69 an H indicated the 383 Commando high performance 4 bbl motor. (It’s worth mentioning that an H-code indicated a different engine for certain years, eg in 1966 H meant HEMI, while in 1970-71 it meant 340 High Performance). Please refer to the photos to see the actual fender tag. The engine has never been moved or gone into. I have replaced the original cork valve cover gaskets with new cork OEM gaskets. There are no leaks and it does not burn a drop of oil. The car starts and idles beautifully. Never overheats. The distributor is in excellent condition as you can see in my photos. All the paint on the engine is original, even the orange and yellow colors on the original linkage springs. Clamps, clips, everything. I have replaced the points and condenser with quality NOS parts. It has been oiled and lubricated where needed. The timing is set at a lovely 36 degrees total BTDC without a single knock or ping, ever. This motor is in incredible factory original condition. It’s one of those special cars that just got a good one. We fuel flow tested it and got a surprising 400 horsepower. On demand it will break the tires loose from a rolling start and light up the pavement all day with modern radials, if you please.. and chirp ‘em in second gear too. I don’t do it often, because it really makes my smile muscles hurt.

Carburetor/Intake/Fuel: The carburetor is the original factory installed Carter AFB 4299S (AFB = aluminum four barrel). It has been correctly cleaned and rebuilt to factory specifications. The automatic choke, AKA divorced choke, works from a bi-metallic coil spring which is set down in the intake manifold. A heater riser valve on the exhaust manifold opens and closes as the temperature changes. This mechanism is usually stuck, rusted and non-functional in these original MoPars. This one works like a charm everytime. I am including with the sale another complete Carter AFB 4299S that I rebuilt at the same time as the original. So it is ready to install where ever you please. A new OEM fuel tank was installed. The original fuel tank was removed to clean out the sediment that was inside from sitting. It’s in great shape and comes with the car. The fuel lines from front to back were replaced with new OEM lines, bent to factory specifications. An extra NOS OEM vacuum advance unit comes with the sale.

Transmission: The 383 Commando is mated to its original factory 727 Torqueflite 3-speed automatic transmission. This was a factory option, and is to this day one of the toughest and most reliable transmissions available. It’s never been apart and remains in perfect working order. The kickdown/throttle linkage is still factory adjusted and set in place for when you need that extra little boost of power. She’s got her original factory installed 3:23 gears in an 8 3/4 rear end. This MoPar 8 3/4 axle is one of the best designs ever to come out of Detroit back in the day. It was light, strong, and had much less drag than other axles. The 3:23 gears are great because the car is snappy in town while still offering plenty of top end speed. I’ve taken the car up to 115mph on a straight, and it just hunkered down like a freight train on rails. Not a single rattle, shake, ping, or knock. Just a smooth, steady, powerful acceleration. With all that torque and this gear ratio she still wanted to go!

Exhaust: A true dual exhaust system with 2.25” pipes and high flow HEMI mufflers came standard from the factory. This is the same exhaust system that came on the 66-67 Plymouth Sport Fury, Satellite, Dodge Charger, and Coronet with 383, 440, and 426 high performance engines. The HEMI version mufflers are not louder, but deeper in resonance than the standard factory style mufflers. They have a really great sound. A brand new, identical system made by Accurate Exhaust has recently been installed on the car. The appearance, materials, function and sound are all correct, including factory tailpipe turn downs exiting the rear. An extra brand new OEM complete dual exhaust system (all pipes and mufflers) ordered and bent recently using the factory specifications is also included with the sale - worth over $1,000.00.

Wheels and Tires: The 14” factory black painted wheels are in excellent condition. The factory original set of deluxe wheel covers came standard with the Premium VIP package, and are in excellent condition. The original full sized bias-ply, white walled spare tire is still mounted correctly in the trunk. It is in perfect condition and has never been used. In fact, all four of the original white-walled bias-ply tires that were installed at the factory have been set aside and are included with the car! These had only 14k miles on them when removed and still have most of their tread. They are in great condition- not dry rotted or cracked at all. They were replaced with high end modern radials when the car was put back on the road, which have only about 3k miles on them. The original jack set is in excellent condition, complete, and mounted properly in the trunk.

Exterior and Paint: 100% original. The paint color is Chrysler code GG-1, which is a mix of green, black and metallic. At dusk or on overcast days the paintwork is a very deep green and looks almost black. The condition of the paint is extraordinary and looks new right up close. Never a respray or touch-up. The car has never been in an accident and has no dings or dents. The entire car is rust and corrosion free. From top to bottom, the quality of the paint is so nice and well preserved that whatever few surface-level marks exist are insignificant by contrast. The quality of the chrome bumpers, door handles, mirror, grill, and all trim is exceptional. The paint work and chrome on all the emblems and ornaments looks bright and brand new. The stainless steel side-trim panels running the length of the car are immaculate. The factory fender mounted radio antenna is excellent and very long fully extended. The factory glass is excellent all the way around, and the windshield has the option of factory tint. All four doors open and close with a nice solid feel and sound. All windows roll up and down smoothly. Door locks, trunk lock and glove box lock function correctly. Side vent windows open, close and seal well. All factory original weather stripping and rubber seals around windows, on doors and trunk and just about everywhere are like new.

Interior: Premium trim package. As clean as can be, it truly looks and smells like a new car of the sixties. All the fabric, vinyl, walnut inlay, plastic, glass and chrome are still as crisp, saturated, firm and fragrant as the day it was assembled. There is excellent chrome trim throughout the entire cabin. Zero fading or wear. The entire dash and steering wheel are perfect. One of my favorite things is the electroluminescent dashboard lighting. All indicator lights and switches function as new. All gauges function as they should, although the fuel gauge shows empty when it gets down to about 1/8 of a tank, so the float may need a tiny adjustment. Some special VIP features for the cabin include chrome trim on the gas, brake and emergency pedals, a controlled Flow-Through ventilation system which softly allows fresh air in—with windows closed—and moves out gently through louvers below the rear window, changing the air inside the car. Also optional were individualized comfort seats. The cloth and vinyl front and rear seats are deeply comfortable private lounge chairs. But fold away their center armrests, and you have a 5-foot sofa for three. Walnut inlays and gold fleck fabric give the interior a distinct luxurious feel. Glove box light, trunk light, electric clock, and c-pillar courtesy lights were all standard features on this VIP hardtop model, and all work perfectly. All carpeting and mats are like new. The headliner is perfect and of premium fabric. Door panels are excellent, with unused ashtrays on each one. The original ‘TransAudio by Plymouth’ AM push button radio is immaculate and works perfectly. A much preferred and now coveted dealer installed Allegro Mark IV air conditioning unit was mounted under dash upon purchase in 1967(they bought 2 so another vintage NOS Allegro Mark IV is included with sale!). The original dealership installed the A/C compressor which is still mounted and connected under the hood, and spinning freely. Both The compressor and A/C unit operate (spin & blow) as they should. The compressor belt is not currently installed and comes with the sale. The only thing needed is coolant. The heater works incredibly well, as do all fans and vents.

Another special design feature of this car is that it’s a hard top, which means there is “no post” or b-pillar between the front and rear doors. So when all the windows are rolled down, you get a nice wide, unobstructed view from the interior, and long, lovely uninterrupted lines from the outside.

Brakes: Original factory power brakes are heavy-duty 11” drums on all four corners, and are in excellent working order. The original master cylinder and power brake booster were rebuilt and refinished professionally. Included with the sale is a correct (Made in USA) vintage Bendix NOS complete master cylinder still in the box. I also have 4 NOS vintage (Made in USA) quality wheel cylinders which are also included in the sale. Since acquiring the car I have cleaned up everything, regreased the wheel bearings, replaced the bearings and races with top quality replacements, installed new wheel cylinders, had the factory drums resurfaced by a good machinist, and installed like-new vintage/still in the box NOS asbestos brake shoes on all four wheels. The emergency brake is also in excellent working order.

Steering: Power steering. When I got the car the steering box and steering pump needed to be rebuilt from sitting so long, and the high pressure hose needed replacing. I had all of this done professionally by the good people at Steer and Gear in Ohio. They did a great job keeping this factory correct, which btw is firmer than one might expect for 1967. This car steers and handles surprisingly well in stock form.

Suspension: Factory original torsion bar suspension with 1” sway bar in the front, and heavy-duty leaf springs in the rear. I went through the entire suspension and replaced all the ball joints, upper control arm bushings, lower control arm bushings, and all other replaceable bushings with good quality Moog rubber replacements. I have installed excellent hydraulic NOS Delco ‘Pleasurizer” heavy-duty shock absorbers, which ride beautifully. I keep the entire front end properly greased, baby. I also have a complete set (front and rear) of KYB Gas-a-Just shock absorbers with only about 100 miles on them that are also included with the sale.

Lamps and Electrical: Every bulb, light, lamp and indicator are factory original and in working order. The optional fender mounted turn signal indicators, headlamps, high beams, parking lights, tail lamps and hazards all function as they should. The quad stacked headlamps are tough looking.

Underside: Completely rust-free and solid as can be. Upon sale dealer coated entire underside with a red oxide as protectant. Not something that was ever needed considering it was stored indoors its entire life, and having no winter exposure whatsoever. I do not have photos of the underside currently.

Documentation includes the original 1967 Plymouth owners manual still in its plastic cover, tons of receipts for work done and parts purchased. 2 notebooks with records, general information about the manufacturing of the car, and its history. The original Chrysler Certicard warranty card still in its original holder on the radiator support in the engine compartment. Also copies of older title and registration from Ohio.

Bonus Extras: Many extras come with this sale, several of which are mentioned throughout this description.

No shipping. Buyer is required to pick-up this fine automobile. Serious buyers only - please feel free to call me directly on my cell anytime with questions, or to make arrangements following the sale at auction close at show contact info

Emails from this post is also welcome.

Thank you and Good Luck!

Sincerely,

Alex

"Crisp, saturated, firm and fragrant" Are you funking kidding me? Guy should work on Madison Avenue. Nice car though.

Seller states original Laquer paint.
WRONG!
Chrysler used Acrylic Enamel.
I stopped reading after that..

FWIW, here's a prior discussion on this one.
NOT MINE - GG1 Green 383 "H" Code 1967 Plymouth VIP 4DR HDTP, $55,000!!

Personally, I think this car is worth every bit of what the seller is asking, as it will only continue to appreciate.
This is a rock-solid investment and I encourage everyone to view it objectively from that perspective.

This car will be commanding 6-figures in the near future.

Nice car, I'd believe the 17K miles from what's shown. Still, crank windows, add on A/C, $55k?

Let's say we all just inherited $55,000 bucks, would this be the car in my top 5 picks, probably not!
Don't get me wrong it is a very nice car. Most of us need to tinker with the cars we have, this one is all done, it's more for the retiring doctor or dentist/ collector who wants a turn key car.
There are a lot of nice cars out there, you could probably get 2 nice ones for that kinda money, maybe even 3.

Have a nice day,

PT

I remember this one from the Instagram sign up bullshit. I think even a fake account on anything now-a-daze needs a phone number to sign up. Buyer beware...

here is a response on the aaca.org forum to this ad:

All that time wasted to take 150 pictures, make several videos & write a very boring longwinded ad but at the end of the day it's still a green 4-door Mopar C-body car with limited appeal to a small market. The ad price will be reduced many times and one day it might run across an auction block somewhere (Carlisle?) and get its 4-5 minutes of fame with a bid of maybe $15-18K if the right guy sees it. Great reading though for insomniacs.

and another:

Gorgeous Fury. One of the best Mopar (or any) platforms ever made. Guy likes to hear himself talk. I think that is the longest Craigslist ad I've ever seen. Must have taken hours to compose. Seller probably got it for $2k from the widow. Price is beyond insane. Might bring $15-20k on a good day to the right buyer.

In a few months, someone is going to add a post here saying ->

"aaaand now the car is in Germany!"

This thread just keeps on giving! One of the craziest things about this whole English Lit performance is the platform he chose to sell on. Craiglist??? WTF. Craigslist is the place you sell a used wheelbarrow with a broken axle, or a pee stained mattress, or free stuff you leave out on the street. Now quickly being taken over by Facebook Marketplace. Why not post a car like this on Kijijii or Offer Up, or some other low rent platform. Hemmings, BAT and many others do it way better, but YOU HAVE TO PAY TO regale us all with the unpublished masterpiece it took you a week to compose. At the end of the day, as Marty's post above states quite simply, it is a green 4 door C Body with a smallish demographic to which it appeals. Still a nice car, though!

This thread just keeps on giving! One of the craziest things about this whole English Lit performance is the platform he chose to sell on. Craiglist??? WTF. Craigslist is the place you sell a used wheelbarrow with a broken axle, or a pee stained mattress, or free stuff you leave out on the street. Now quickly being taken over by Facebook Marketplace. Why not post a car like this on Kijijii or Offer Up, or some other low rent platform. Hemmings, BAT and many others do it way better, but YOU HAVE TO PAY TO regale us all with the unpublished masterpiece it took you a week to compose. At the end of the day, as Marty's post above states quite simply, it is a green 4 door C Body with a smallish demographic to which it appeals. Still a nice car, though!
Actually, Kijiji is the Canadian version of Craigslist. They don't have Kijiji in the US.

What is Offer Up? Never heard of it.

Back