For Sale 1968 Dodge Coronet 440

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbm3fan

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Contact seller
Ok, I am not versed in these cars at all. Yet it seems there are some staements here that aren't correct. From what I can tell a Coronet/Coronet 500 didn't come with the 440. but the RT did. Only there is no comment that this is an RT. Also says a 4 speed but what is that shifter? Is that part of the project? Anyway, take it from there but to me it seems wildly overpriced. Maybe the wine country markup?

1968 Dodge Coronet 440 4-Speed Project Dana 60 - $15750 (napa county)

1968 Dodge Coronet 440 4-Speed Project Dana 60
1968 Dodge Coronet
440 4-Speed
Project car
Posi.
Dana 60

$14,750 / trade

01010_9fmxafK7Afd_600x450.jpg
00O0O_lSDzITAjXRl_600x450.jpg
00p0p_iFrBB3caqH7_1200x900.jpg

The shifter is an "inline" shifter...
No "H" pattern...
Advert does not say it is a R/T..
Just that it has a 440 and a 4spd....
The car could be a R/T, could be a Coronet 440, could be a Coronet Deluxe...
Ask for the VIN as it will tell you what the car is and what motor can in originally....

This is a 69, not a 68. the grill, (which could have been swapped) and the side marker reflectors, which are 69 are a dead giveaway. The taillights would have shown the difference would have been better.

No way of knowing weather he means it has a 440 or it's a Coronet 440 model. My brother once had a Coronet 440 that had a 225. It was an old taxi.

My eyes aren't that good but it looks like the 440 was available in all 69 Coronets. Since this add is so sparse and cryptic, I don't think it says what engine it has. The car may have had a 4spd from factory but that is no factory shifter. I'd like to see pics of the steering column to see if it is a console car or not. Fender tag would tell all.

69 coronet brochure.JPG

No telling what this car really has...without seeing the fender tag if it still has one.

Posi.
Dana 60

Hard to tell what this thing is except way overpriced.
If it's a '68 it definitely has '69 parts up front and I can't see the side marker in the rear. From the location of the door lock on the passenger door it also appears to be a '69.

My guess?
Since the ad was worded like this:

1968 Dodge Coronet
440 4-Speed

and not...
1968 Dodge Coronet 440 4-Speed

Well, you get the idea.

My guess?
Since the ad was worded like this:

1968 Dodge Coronet
440 4-Speed

and not...
1968 Dodge Coronet 440 4-Speed

Well, you get the idea.

I agree and almost went that way also but I question if the seller doesn't know what year it is, is he one of the many dumb asses that think the 440 on the quarter panel is an engine call out.

Yeah, it has a vertical gate shifter in it....
Only three pictures ?

Based on the ad's minimal wording, (probably a chevy guy who took it on a trade), It tells me the car is a 68 R/T, (front clip is 1969), with factory 4 speed and Dana sure grip. (which would be the correct combo).
This would all need to be verified with VIN and tag inspection.

1968 DODGE CORONET R/T 440-375hp (8cyl-4V) AT

MOBILE
#5 #4 #3 #2 #1
2dr Convertible 8275 19300 34125 53675 81500
2dr Hardtop 4825 13925 27025 38800 57125

Add:
4spd manual trans 5%
Air conditioning 10%
Power windows 3%
Deduct:
Manual steering -5%
Column

If it checks out he may not be to far off the mark.

Also, this is why the C bodys are becoming more popular, which is OK.
Problem is, the guys who want but cant afford a R/T buy a nice C body and throw all the crap found on the Supercars at them. ie: white letter tires, cop caps, chrome air filters loud colors, graphics and other non essential niffy naffys in an attempt to hot rod the car ..... Point of the C body missed.

You can see the remnants of lettering down the rear quarter....so might have started life as a coronet 440 or coronet 500 model? But quarter panels could have been changed. I don't see the lower rectangle marker light on the quarter....should be just visible in the pic. I agree on the front sheet metal being 69, and if you look close you can see where a "superbee" emblem used to reside on the grille. The doors also being 69 due to the location of the door lock button. But if you blow up the interior shot it clearly has the ralley dash....that only came on the R/T, Superbee, or Chargers..don't believe it was even optional on the lower 440/500 models....but again could have been changed. But all this does not mean it is indeed a 69.....as was stated the VIN would determine much on this car.

The asking price is a tad unrealistic though....unless it is truly a 68/69 Coronet R/T 440/4spd Dana car. ;)

I have a 68 Coronet R/T convertible I'll sell if someone is actually looking for one :)

It needs some mechanical work on to be a driver but needs a restoration but the top goes down and it's real and has matching numbers 440 and Auto trans. 3.23 8 3/4 SG. PP1 Red with White interior and black top.

PM if interested and really want one ... asking price is not cheap but is negotiable

I can't make out the rallye dash from that pic.

It is a '68 Coronet 440... Very likely a 318 car. The Coronet Deluxe would be a post car, not a hardtop.

The drivers door is the original '68 Coronet 440 door as you can see the door lock and the welded trim holes for that specific '68 440 trim that was also going down the quarter panel. The marker light hole in the quarter is covered by the Frankenstein patch, however the '69 Coronet 440 and 500 also never had the rocker trim, both the 440 and the 500 trim for '69 followed the lower body line like the '67 Satellite and the '69 GTX.

It has a '69 front clip with the R/T- Super Bee bulge hood, a '69 dash pad on a likely '69 Super Bee dash with the ralley guages like the '68-'70 Chargers or '70 Runner. The Coronet R/T had the bar speedometer like the standard Coronets except that it went to 150 mph. The left door is a '68 Coronet 440 and the passenger's door is a '69 wearing '69 a door panel. The driver's bucket I believe is a '68 pattern.

To summarize it looks like a turbine bronze '68 Coronet 440 with a blue '69 Super Bee front clip, right door and blue '69 Super Bee dash.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back