1968 - door panel trim clips sources

I ended up moshing them
20170211_210106.jpg

test fitting
20170212_114713.jpg

and blam! Loctite PL premium applied under pressurized conditions :)
20170212_130258.jpg

there is wax paper on the floor, then the product, then wax paper, then board, then paint cans. I don't have pictures of the gluing process.. I'm a one man show and the **** was curing fast....

so I bought this foam... its 2mm some-kind-of-craft-foam. its not what I expected. I'm a computer guy not an upholstererer what the hell do I know. I went with it. I bought the good glue so this is gonna stick the first time, get it flat.
20170219_104219.jpg

oh. the fan. please wear long sleeves and have a fan on hi pulling air AWAY from your work area to outside when you are spraying glue. you will thank me later just do it.

see that cut in the bottom edge of the rear quarter panel? no idea why its there. unless its for like a convertible or something. the outer vinyl was not cut like that, but the cardboard was... I didn't notice it while drawing the pattern, so it got cut out. but I didn't need to.

anyways, trimming excess foam off after gluing
20170219_170729.jpg

ok well this is the material I got today from jo ann fabrics in plano. this is not the first stuff I tried. I bought curtains off blamazon. they were 100% polyester and folded into an 8x10 pkg.... fkn 108x96 curtains. I could not get the fold crease lines out. I washed them a bunch. ironed them. hung them out. washed them a bunch. ironed them. hung them out. then I punted.
$100 and a dried up old help lady at joanns later, we have this
20170220_112911.jpg

5 yards of standard black upholstery vinyl. sigh. you shoulda seen the curtains,, it was outer space, with a nebula...

boy take a fkn number at joa nns too, holy smokes those old bags will run you over.

OH and get a number ticket, THEN go find your roll of material. pull it, and bring it back.

and hold it over your shoulder like a rifle.

aight we test gluing the fabric to the ABS with PL30 premium . . . stand by :)
Thank you for a great read... can't wait for the conclusion. BTW... Outer space? Nebula? Were you getting a black light too?:poke:

ok well this is the material I got today from jo ann fabrics in plano. this is not the first stuff I tried. I bought curtains off blamazon. they were 100% polyester and folded into an 8x10 pkg.... fkn 108x96 curtains. I could not get the fold crease lines out. I washed them a bunch. ironed them. hung them out. washed them a bunch. ironed them. hung them out. then I punted.
$100 and a dried up old help lady at joanns later, we have this
View attachment 116362

5 yards of standard black upholstery vinyl. sigh. you shoulda seen the curtains,, it was outer space, with a nebula...

Thanks a lot, Saylor for posting this thread. I love this stuff!

Pretty damned cool, Saylor. I've never gotten into interior work but assume I will in the very short term. This is answering a host of questions for me, esp as my car is 1800 miles and two months away from me being able to pick at it... killin me!

here is a shot of using PL Premium to attach the vinyl to the backside of the panel. there may be better stuff than PL premium for this. it did not want to stay without help. the PL comes in a grease gun tube, so i shot some onto a paper plate and used a plastic knife to spread it.
today ill be able to see if this is gonna work or not.
20170220_175459.jpg

oh - a pro tip - the wife says stick the middles first, so left side middle, right side middle, bottom middle. then half that distance and do it again. hope that makes sense...

try not to glue yourself to the door panel -

- saylor

Back